Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Common code violations

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post

b) shall use conductors that are rated at not less than 16 A, and

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I have this situation at the moment ... a customer wanted me to move a light in the garden and fit a weather proof socket outlet for some strip lights.

The DB has a mixed circuit label ... with a 10 amp circuit breaker feeding the light and socket outlet ... with a label on the weather proof socket "for lights only" ... I did consider using a dedicated type socket outlet.

To lift all the paving to replace the cable with a 2.5 mm cable ... was not in the budget.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I have this situation at the moment ... a customer wanted me to move a light in the garden and fit a weather proof socket outlet for some strip lights.

The DB has a mixed circuit label ... with a 10 amp circuit breaker feeding the light and socket outlet ... with a label on the weather proof socket "for lights only" ... I did consider using a dedicated type socket outlet.

To lift all the paving to replace the cable with a 2.5 mm cable ... was not in the budget.
    You could use a 4x2 , 5 amp socket outlet in a weatherproof box

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    You could use a 4x2 , 5 amp socket outlet in a weatherproof box
    5 amp cord cant be longer than 3 m ?

but I suppose the cord between the strip lights and the socket outlet is only 1.5 m ... the other 5 m of the actual light wouldnt be included.

As I think about it ... I should have installed a junction box ... fitted a wireless switch (like a shelly or sonoff) in side the weatherproof box and just connected both the pole light and strip light to the wireless switch.

The customer has already complained that he tried to use the weed eater but it tripped the 10 amp breaker.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have an interesting COC ... you can see the inspector has been to site and has offered to return to fix a few item not completed before the sale.

I walked around the site to see if it warrants a service sheet ... at first I didnt think so ... but as we dig deeper I am starting to wonder about the lights.

The ceiling is high ... and I hear the inspector will be back to replace one or 2 ... I noticed a couple old brass holder fittings and no earth wire ... then I noticed round boxes outside for the security lights ... all the end boxes facing up and I could bet my scrap box that the glands are not the flat type which will result in a bad IP rating ... then I ask myself ... are the round boxes UV rated for outdoors and are the boxes filled with a compound to improve the IP rating.

I didnt have ladder with me so I havent opened the trap door yet.

So now I ask myself ... who is going to pay for my time to start scratching.

We have another the customer who is complaining about what seems to be a few code violations ... my response to the customer was to get his electrician to open a service sheet and log the time and at the same time create a list of the violations with reference to the code.

It seems it is too easy for people to just complain about COC's without actually understanding how it works and what is covered ... I hear a lot of complaint about light fittings not working ... the wiring to the fitting is correct ... a bulb or 2 might be blown ... this is where public awareness is lacking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12