Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Pledge

Gold Member
    Thanks

Proposed Pledge

This pledge is what the government proposes to legislate for ALL pupils to repeat at their morning assemblies.

As per the Mail and Guardian

The proposed pledge reads: "We the youth of South Africa, recognising the injustices of our past, honour those who suffered and sacrificed for justice and freedom.

"We will respect and protect the dignity of each person, and stand up for justice.

"We sincerely declare that we shall uphold the rights and values of our Constitution and promise to act in accordance with the duties and responsibilities that flow from these rights."

Are you happy to have your kids recite this 3 to 5 times a week and is this a possible solution to the rampant disrespect that the teachers put up with?
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    recognising the injustices of our past, honour those who suffered and sacrificed for justice and freedom.
    Oh boy !!

This really does not strike me as a way to move away from the past and strive for the future growth of our nation.

Yes, we all know about the past and those that fought so hard for a better South Africa. We have their names on the buildings, hospitals, highways, etc.

But there are also some of those names on the court summonses, newspaper headlines of controversy involving rape, bribes, murder, etc, etc.

Just because someone was involved in the struggle, doesn't mean that I want my kids viewing them as role models, and I certainly don't want the errors of our past drummed into their brains on a regular basis - those things should soon be relegated to the history books.

And even the political discussion aside, I have learnt from bitter personal experience in the University of Hard Life, that absolutely ZIP came about by harping on the past - I never did learn how to change that.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    I've been thinking about this pledge for a couple of days now since it was announced. A lot has been said by people about the pledge both for and against.

I want to state my support for the idea, of a pledge that will install national pride and good values with our kids. However, what is clear from the composition of the pledge is that it is written by the wrong person. It is written by an adult and in adult format. Secondly, the content of the pledge starts out with the sentence...
    recognising the injustices of our past, honour those who suffered and sacrificed for justice and freedom
    Although this is true it is clearly one sided and negative towards race. Although this is going to be pledged by all races, it will divide those feeling proud and those feeling ashamed about the past. It doesn't install the pride it is suposed to imo.

I heard many people say, but the past is part of who we are today! Well it is and certainly will be part of history, but the objective of a pledge is to install pride for generations to come. These kids had nothing to do with the past and should build on a stable non-discriminatory South Africa.

I personally feel that the entire pledge should be written by our children in a competition or forum format. That way we will get the true meaning of a pledge worded by the innocent and positive youth.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    I agree with ChatMaster - a pledge by kids for kids.

When I was in school, we had one that covered just about all the values that we were raised by, that started with :

Our Father, who art in Heaven, ....

but then I suppose that's not allowed anymore either.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I would agree with Chatmaster.

Personally I would be reluctant to force feed my under 12's with the burden of knowing such a heavy demand as a 'Constitution'. The question is sure to pop up!

It reeeks of political orientation rather than personal honour and integrity.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I plan to find out where and how representation must be made regarding this as I find the content offensive. I am a South African, I want all South Africans to move forward and in my little way I contribute to that daily. My children have been raised accordingly and in my opinion this pledge can and will destroy all those efforts and the efforts of other South Africans just like me.

I would love to see our kids pledge along the lines of "dignity and respect for all, friendship and care etc etc"
    Regards

Debbie

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Could it be a smokescreen to stir up public opinion and remove focus from some more serious problem ( like electricity, crisis in the ruling party, etc, etc ) ??

If so, looks like it may have worked somewhat.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi Daveob

I don't think this is a smokescreen - the doe were pretty much in the limelight earlier this year when the headmaster at a school in the Southern Subs (CT) locked some pupils out. His actions were a very loud cry for help and it made some important people sit up and take note. Now they are looking for solutions.
    Regards

Debbie

www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forcing a patriot pledge on minors? That's desperate and just so sad that they have to stoop to indoctrination. Possibly an infringement on individual rights too.
    "We sincerely declare that we shall uphold the rights and values of our Constitution and promise to act in accordance with the duties and responsibilities that flow from these rights."
    I want to see that recited in parliament before each sitting!! When I see it working there, then maybe we can start thinking this might work in schools.

Government - you want this in our schools - start being role models that demonstrate these are values you live by too.

I reckon have the kids sing the National Anthem. Patriotic, unifying, politically neutral. Written at a time when we were the Rainbow Nation. Perfect for the job.

Thanks
    To pledge or not to pledge

My question: if I am a learner and I refuse to recite the pledge, am I committing some sort of transgression? Do I have a Constitutional Right to keep quiet?

Sieg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.