Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COC and test report

Diamond Member
    Thanks

COC and test report

After many hours of reading the new ed 3.1 regs ... I realised that Annexure A is missing.

There is a test report which includes medical and hazardous locations ... but no actual COC in accordance with 7(1) of the electrical installation regulations 2009.

Which I have noted in another thread ... the "test report" (not inspection report)

DO you still need a COC as per Annexure 1 or do you just issue a test report ?

I am still issuing the old 4 page yellow document and nobody seems to object. I still have a2 books of them from back when I bought a pile of them.

So when a customer contacts you for a COC ... do they just get a test report ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

2. Thanks given for this post:

sytcee (08-Dec-21)

Thanks
    Where I work, we do not accept the old test report in the 4 paged COC.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am master electrician and I have never seen any COC other than the 4 pages ... how scary is that ... so a really stupid question how do people who dont even work in the industry know what a COC looks like ... and people wonder why this industry is in such a F$%^ mess

Maybe whoever is responsible and I would assume it is the DOL ... should try a little public awareness ... thank goodness electricity is not dangerous.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Maybe whoever is responsible and I would assume it is the DOL ... should try a little public awareness ... thank goodness electricity is not dangerous.
    I thought the change to COC and the requirements and implementation date where pretty much circulated and it is in the Foreword of SANS 10142-1

The person signing the COC needs to ensure they stay up to date. Unfortunately none of us ever think to read the front pages of SANS until it gets pointed out.

There has also been whispers coming out that the insurance industry is looking at insisting on a copy of the contractors public liability policy being attached to the COC before they will accept that COC . They want to know that they can sue and collect the money in the case of a fire etc.
    That could sort the industry out at double quick speed or at least ensure that each contractor is incurring the same expense/overhead on insurance.

SANS 10142-1:2020
    Edition 3

FOREWORD
    This South African standard was prepared by National Committee
    SABS/TC 067/SC 06, Electricity distribution systems and components –
    Installations, in accordance with procedures of the South African Bureau of
    Standards, in compliance with annex 3 of the WTO/TBT agreement.
    This document was approved for publication in July 2020.
    This document supersedes SANS 10142-1:2017 (edition 2).
    The test report in edition 2 may be used in parallel with the test report in
    edition 3 for a period of 12 months from the date of publication of edition 3.

With the first edition of this part of SANS 10142, the standard was subdivided
    and now consists of the following parts, under the general title The wiring of
    premises:

6. Thanks given for this post:

sytcee (08-Dec-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    I thought the change to COC and the requirements and implementation date where pretty much circulated and it is in the Foreword of SANS 10142-1

The person signing the COC needs to ensure they stay up to date. Unfortunately none of us ever think to read the front pages of SANS until it gets pointed out.

There has also been whispers coming out that the insurance industry is looking at insisting on a copy of the contractors public liability policy being attached to the COC before they will accept that COC . They want to know that they can sue and collect the money in the case of a fire etc.
    That could sort the industry out at double quick speed or at least ensure that each contractor is incurring the same expense/overhead on insurance.

SANS 10142-1:2020
    Edition 3

FOREWORD
    This South African standard was prepared by National Committee
    SABS/TC 067/SC 06, Electricity distribution systems and components –
    Installations, in accordance with procedures of the South African Bureau of
    Standards, in compliance with annex 3 of the WTO/TBT agreement.
    This document was approved for publication in July 2020.
    This document supersedes SANS 10142-1:2017 (edition 2).
    The test report in edition 2 may be used in parallel with the test report in
    edition 3 for a period of 12 months from the date of publication of edition 3.

With the first edition of this part of SANS 10142, the standard was subdivided
    and now consists of the following parts, under the general title The wiring of
    premises:
    Ok so how many people who are not electrician understand what is attached above ... in fact even better how many electricians reading this thread understand what is attached above and do you know what a COC looks like ?

A test report with a a COC number at the top of the page as illustrated of page 260 on the new SANS ed 3.1 ?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets say I am a person wanting to know more about the COC ... hop onto google and ... It Looks exactly like the one I issue ... annexure 1 at the top ...the only difference is mine have numbers in the B 600 000 range and my COC's is a 4 page yellow document with a pile of other documents attached ... with all the pictures taken and a DB layout with a full description of the circuits and a layout of all the wiring and which circuit feed which outlet ... sometimes it could be 10 -15 pages.

https://electrical-compliance-certif...of-compliance/

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Looks exactly the same as the one I have been issuing since I was a member of the ECA more than 20 years ago ... back when Chris Gregory was the chairman and Brian Bilton was the technical advisor

https://electrician-benoni.co.za/coc/

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post

[/I]
    The companies I deal with request public liability insurance ... medical clearance ... safety induction before entry to the sites ... Tax clearance certificates ... Safety manuals for work to be carried out on site ... Proof of ownership of test equipment ... the list just goes on and on ... and yet I still have to deal with semi skilled being dropped of who have no idea about safety lockout procedures etc ... and COC's which are not worth the yellow ink used to print the legal document and in many cases in the past are registered with the "hand of safety" ... maybe this issue is a lot bigger than a yellow piece of paper.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast