Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: COC and test report

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I too sometimes use cabtyre for switches.

Also some Cabtyre has better intrinsic properties for heat, oil and all that so in some cases better to use that.

My boss is one who saw cabtyre and inevitably failed it until I told him it can be used and then the subsequent regs.
    He says still sits funny but hey.

Then I explained some of its nice uses for multiple switching and then some properties of the cable so he did see some value in that.

Either way electrical business is constant CPD.

Side note, why is it called cabtyre? Is it like creepy crawly which is a brand name that is now used for a underwater cleaner haha?
    In the UK they call it flex but not sure if that is just what they call it and is actually a different item?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If you look at the reg 6.1.11 and 6.3.3 ... I would assume you have to sleeve or tape the cabtyre blue wire ... if used it as a neutral.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Yes ya, have to tape up and also bootlace ferrule, or at least they say ferrule the ends. 6.1.12 is the reg in Ed 3.0

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It is not often that you see cabtyre used to wire houses ... in all my years as a sparkie ... only twice.

Day/night switches ... that's another story ... cabtyre with yellow/green used as the return (live) and 1.5 twin with hte bare earth used as the return (live) ... with a sleeve ... very common ... in most cases the yellow/green is not taped or sleeved and the bare earth has a black sleeve.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So we finally legit again and its time to start pumping out COC's.

The first question ... I got my hands on a copy of the new COC (issued to one of my customers ... not worth the paper it's written on)

DO I understand this correctly ... if the property has a main DB (3 phase) .. a pool DB (sinlge phase) ... a sub DB upstairs (single phase) and a sub DB (single phase) for each granny flat (X2)

The COC should consist of 1 yellow or white double sided page (with the COC on the front and the test report on the back) a white copy of the "additional test report" for each of the sub DB's ... in total 6 pages ? Can you issue one COC/test report for the entire property ... including all the DB's ... I have a feeling this is going to get interesting.

A question ... is it ok to issue a COC ... then when the new owner moves in and finds a bunch of illegal wiring ... so he contacts the inspector and points out a few things wrong with the installation.

The response from the inspector ... we will be back to fix what we didnt get around to doing ... but issued the COC anyway so that the transfer could go through.

I am confused ... I thought you issue the COC once the property is regarded as reasonably safe.

Can the new owner sue the seller and get his own inspector in to check the property and get it repaired ?

I hear there are new laws just been passed with regarded to selling a property with defects not identified in the sale agreement ? Anyone know more about this ?

Thanks
    @Ians

In this post you refer to an inspector.
    Are you talking about a contractor ?

The reason I ask is that an inspector may not work as a contractor according to OHSA.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hey Ians

So for the sub DB I believe there is now another form that needs to be filled in for the sub DB....

But for low we just white copy the Sub DBs and have the yellow copy as the certificate and the main DB on the yellow test report (other side )

Will try find the link

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The inspector has been to site ... done the test report ... issued the COC ... but indicated he will be back to fix all the non compliant parts.

Do we give him 6 weeks ... 6 months or 6 years to bring the installation up to standard ?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I wasted time over the weekend preparing XL COC's and just generally wasting my time ... then I had a flash moment (not really my smart squeeze came up with the idea) ... scan and edit PDF.

So I got hold of an original new format COC ... a good quality scanner ... blanked the COC number with a yellow post it ... copied the front front and back of the original and walla I have an unlimited supply of original COC's ... I am going to use the numbers from the pile of old COC's that I havent used ... but purchased in my name and paid full price.

Doesn't it just piss you off when you make an error on the COC and have to throw it away because no corrections are allowed (screw that I have issued COC's with corrections ... I just initialled the correction) but I see the new COC has a note 2 on the new COC.

Not only an unlimited supply of COc's ... I can fill it out on a tablet or my site laptop ... correct mistakes and and email it in yellow to the customer ... and thats not all ... I can now just add as many "additional test reports" as I need ... without lifting a pen.

How do you fill out a PDF ... open the pdf ... look down the right hand side ... it shows fill and sign ... a tab will open at the top with abc and ticks etc .. .so you can tick the blocks and fill the info and numbers ... and if you smart you will create a signature so that you can even paste a signature.

I am not doing anything illegal because as note 1 on the COC indicates ... " this certificate is not valid unless the sections have been completed correctly and the test report in the format approved by the chief inspector is attached" ... everything is legit ... numbers are registered to my name and the documents are even in the colour everyone wants to see (yellow)

I have just made my life a lot simpler ... maybe now I will start issuing COC's for work I do.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    The reason I ask is that an inspector may not work as a contractor according to OHSA.
    t
    I am the inspector and contractor on every single site I work ... I am the responsible person ... supervisor ... driver foreman ... artisan ... first aid person and everything else I need to be ... especially when I work on sites like RBM or Mondi or ALUSAF or any other site ... sometimes I spend wasted days watching ridiculous videos on safety induction before we can enter the site ... then there is the medicals and all that kak ... then I still get written warnings because I refuse to wear safety boots ... people talk about safety yet nobody ever considers the well being of the staff wearing all that hot clothing. and how uncomfortable the crap is to wear ... but nobody gives a shyte ... so long as the requirements are met ... screw the workers ... companies can be lucky I am not part of a union ... there would be non of these unworkable conditions ... there would be aircons on every site just like in the suits work environment.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast