Thread: DB label/notice requirements

Diamond Member
    Thanks

DB label/notice requirements

I am busy with the brother machine creating all the labels required for a site.

I seem to have run out of the old English/Afrikaans in case of accidental labels or are they called notices ... so I have the latest and second latest SANS regs .... I thought I would do a quick check.

6.6.1.20 The following warning labels shall be fitted to all distribution boards:

a) an indication of where the distribution board is fed from, except for single
    distribution board installations. (Where the supply is derived from sources
    other than the main supply, for example, generators or UPS, see 7.12.5);

b) if the short-circuit rating exceeds 3 kA, the minimum fault current rating of
    switchgear that can be used;
    c) in the case of series-connected (cascaded) systems, the warning label
    required by 6.7.4(c);

d) the current rating of the busbars shall be indicated where it exceeds 100 A;
    and

e) if the earthing terminal is installed, a label that indicates the position where
    the readily accessible earthing terminal for the bonding of other services is
    provided (see 6.11.5).

c) a warning label shall be fitted to every distribution board, switchboard,
    panelboard and the like where series-connected (cascaded) systems.

Reading this made me realise I need to make a few additional labels for the one of the sites I am working ... we have some 2 way switching

6.14.1.8 If more than one circuit is brought into an enclosure, a warning label
    shall be fixed inside the enclosure.

6.6.1 General

6.6.1.1 Each distribution board shall be controlled by a switch-disconnector
    (see 6.9.4). The switch-disconnector shall:

a) be mounted in the distribution board or adjacent to the distribution board in
    the same room,

b) in the case of the main or first distribution board of an installation, be
    labelled as "main switch",

c) in the case of a sub-distribution board, be labelled as "sub-main switch" "or
    main switch" if the board is labelled "sub-board…",

d) in the case where an alternative supply is installed (emergency supply,
    uninterruptible power systems (UPS), etc.), be labelled as required in
    7.12.2.1, and

This label below ids the one of interest to me ... does it need to be in all 9 official languages or just english ? What are the requirements for the font size 8 mm ? And lastly does it have to be red or should it not be yellow as most electrical warning labels are today with the lightning bolt ? These "in case of ....." labels just make the DB look untidy ... You can see DB's which I have worked on because I always cut off the bottom Afrikaans section ... Zulu would be better suited where I live in Africa.

e) have a danger notice on or near it. The danger notice shall give instructions
    that the switch-disconnector be switched off in the event of inadvertent
    contact or leakage.

the last time I spent this much time reading the SANS books was 35 years ago when I did my installation rules I am learning a few things ... hopefully my responses will be a little more like GCE with actual information.

I plan to print the SANS regs ... its handy to look for regs using the search function in PDF but being old school ... I prefer the hard copy ... you can take it to bed and read it ... yeah right
    Last edited by ians; 06-Dec-21 at 04:34 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Only thing from section 4 on page 63 of Ed3 is that it says warning labels shall comply with 1186-1. I have zero clue what's in the standard and it is most likely a another 1000 bucks to get that info. But one day when I am big I will get that document and see what it states.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk