Yes, I realise that I'll probably get a host of hate mail via PM, but just hear me out :

A few months back, I wanted a special software utility - nothing fancy, and only a few hours work for a good coder ( I know this with programming experience ).

The best price I could get locally was R12,500

Then I discovered rentacoder.com ( no, I do not get referral commissions )

On this site, I can find a web coder, html / php / mySQL/etc, a programmer that works in C++, VB, Java, Flash, etc, etc, or I can get a copywriter to write text for web pages, etc.

How does it work ? Simple - you deposit funds into your account ( pay via credit card or paypal ), then you write the specs of the job you want doing and post it as a "Bid Request".

RentAcoder ( RAC ) then list it on their site, and coders from all over the world come and post a "bid" to your project. You select a coder, set a deadline ( a full refund to you if the specs are not met by the deadline ) and away you go.

I have been using RAC for over a year, worked with coders from all over the globe ( India, USA, UK, Indonesia, Australia and more ).

Is it better ? Well, you remember that R12,500 utility I wanted ? I got that done for $65 in 2 days flat.

Another example ( punting my own sites now, if I am allowed in context ), is www.autobodyratings.co.za -- complete web site ( start to finish ) with database integration, and the copy text for the front page -- $135.

Now tell me why we should be ripped off locally. If I am going to use local, it has to compete with the service and cost that I can get in the international market.

OK. Fire away while I duck .....