Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New SANS 10142-1:2021 (ed. 3.o1)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    At long last!!
    An option to the stove coupler (which is not available for love or money )
    What 6.16.3.3.3 means is that if you disconnect a stove by means of a flexible arrangement ... you have to remove the wires and make it safe.

Its a bit late (more than 20 years ago) ... that 2 year old child electrocuted to death by a stove wire left exposed on the kitchen floor ... I doubt the person who left the wires like that even knows his actions caused the death of a 2 year child ... he sold and left the country.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    b) a socket-outlet that complies with SANS 60309-1 (industrial type) with
    30 mA earth leakage protection, however, the use of industrial type socket outlets
    is not recommended for stove connections.

What is stopping you from using an industrial type socket outlet as mentioned above?

Not recommended but if you cant fit the real thing ... well sometimes you have to do what you have to do ... personally I could see myself fitting a huge industrial plug or stove connector for that matter behind the stove.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    At long last!!
    An option to the stove coupler (which is not available for love or money )
    We have not had a problem getting stove couplers - Somebody bought over the machinery from the old procast and was manufacturing them

4. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (06-Dec-21), ians (06-Dec-21)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I'm confused here. This morning I go to buy the latest SANS 10142_1:2021 (ED3.01) and I am faced with the following two choices.
    1. SANS 10142-1:2021 (ED3.01)
    2. SANS 10142-1-2:2021 (Ed 1.00)
    What is #2?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I couldn't get the preview to work on my phone but I now have it on my computer. I see that # 2 is extra regs for generator installations.

To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I couldn't get the preview to work on my phone but I now have it on my computer. I see that # 2 is extra regs for generator installations.

Further reading. I now understand that SANS 10142-1-2:2021 refers to installations where the generator is connected directly to the grid network. This apparently does not include generators that are connected to an electrical installation via a 3 way switch.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Further reading. I now understand that SANS 10142-1-2:2021 refers to installations where the generator is connected directly to the grid network. This apparently does not include generators that are connected to an electrical installation via a 3 way switch.

Just been having the discussion on what is covered by what. I originally thought a contradiction, but it has been pointed out that SANS10142-1 excludes alternative supply operating in parallel with the main supply to an installation.( 7.12.1.1 note 2 )

Sans 10142-1-2 is for systems running in parallel , typical gridtie systems or running generators in sync with supply

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I have purchased Ed 3.01. (Pdf)
    I have come straight from Ed 2 (2017).
    So far I am not seeing the massive changes that was expected.
    I don't have the table of changes that would have been stated in ed 3.0

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If anything the regs are more relaxed ... so you might get into trouble for telling a customer they cant use cabtyre to wire their entire house ... or get confused about whether or not you have to install a double pole isolator for a ceiling fan or just put everything on earth leakage ... really dangerous stuff.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think expectations of the industry are high ... a lot beer talk at the meetings ... but in reality the people who did everything by the book because it was the right thing to do ... is a thing of the past ... now it has just become a free for all ...he who comes up with hte smartest way to dodge the regs wins ... using the twin+E looking speaker wire ... you have to give the lad or lady credit ... if it looks like twin and feels like twin it must be the right wire for wiring plugs ... just because a label says speaker wire.

What are the implications of using speaker wire ... simple load carrying capacity ... connect a cellphone charger and you would be good to go ... connect a 2 plate stove and you going to light up your life

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast