Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 7.12 Alternative supplies

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Morning

So if we add a generator, change over switch and all that, do we still need to contact the supplier ?

My view is that as there is a change over there is no backfeeding thus no need to contstc supplier.

Keen to find out more in this.

Also what i need to find more on but may do annew thread is with PV installs and registration of them and then if not used to backfeed at all then must it still be registred.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    IF the generator is connected to the mains ... you would need to find out from your supplier in the region ... dont forget we all live in different locations with different suppliers.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    OK cool, i did not know that... thanks for sharing !

Will get onto learning more

As a start... so if we connect the genny on the consumer side mains in, I.E at the top of breaker in Main DB, is that still considered supplier mains ? My thought process now is that that would be consumer mains as on the consumer side. (Over simplified connection but just to get point across)

Not trying to dodge phoning council but dealing with council does not fill me with joy hahaha.
    Also just want to properly understand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    OK cool, i did not know that... thanks for sharing !

Will get onto learning more

As a start... so if we connect the genny on the consumer side mains in, I.E at the top of breaker in Main DB, is that still considered supplier mains ? My thought process now is that that would be consumer mains as on the consumer side.

Not trying to dodge phoning council but dealing with council does not fill me with joy hahaha.
    Also just want to properly understand.

Attached is BCMM By law.

38. Standby supply

No person shall be entitled to a standby supply of electricity from the Municipality for any premises having a seperate source of electricity supply except with the written consent of the Municipality and subject to terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Municipality.

39. Consumer's emergency standby supply equipment

1) (1) No emergency standby equipment provided by a consumer in terms of any Regulations or for the consumer's own operational requirements shall be connected to any installation without the prior written approval of the Municipality. Application for such approval shall be made in writing and shall include a full specification of the equipment and a wiring diagram. The standby equipment shall be so designed and installed that it is impossible for the Municipality's supply mains to be energized by means of a back feed from such equipment. The consumer shall be responsible for providing, installing and maintaining all such protective equipment.

2) Where by special agreement with the Municipality, the consumer generating equipment is permitted to be coupled to, and run in parallel with the Municipality's supply mains, the consumer shall be responsible for providing, installing and maintaining all the necessary synchronizing and protective equipment required for such safe parallel operation, to the satisfaction of the Municipality.

There is more but I'm tired of typing.

Suggest you check out the by laws in the area that you are working in.

Peace out ... Derek

edit: @ Dylboy, the top of your main breaker in the DB is supply side. The bottom of your main breaker is consumer side.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Attached is BCMM By law.

38. Standby supply

No person shall be entitled to a standby supply of electricity from the Municipality for any premises having a seperate source of electricity supply except with the written consent of the Municipality and subject to terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Municipality.

39. Consumer's emergency standby supply equipment

1) (1) No emergency standby equipment provided by a consumer in terms of any Regulations or for the consumer's own operational requirements shall be connected to any installation without the prior written approval of the Municipality. Application for such approval shall be made in writing and shall include a full specification of the equipment and a wiring diagram. The standby equipment shall be so designed and installed that it is impossible for the Municipality's supply mains to be energized by means of a back feed from such equipment. The consumer shall be responsible for providing, installing and maintaining all such protective equipment.

2) Where by special agreement with the Municipality, the consumer generating equipment is permitted to be coupled to, and run in parallel with the Municipality's supply mains, the consumer shall be responsible for providing, installing and maintaining all the necessary synchronizing and protective equipment required for such safe parallel operation, to the satisfaction of the Municipality.

There is more but I'm tired of typing.

Suggest you check out the by laws in the area that you are working in.

Peace out ... Derek

edit: @ Dylboy, the top of your main breaker in the DB is supply side. The bottom of your main breaker is consumer side.
    Awesome! Thank you! Found the bylaws for City of Joburg which is great, will have a read proper later but I at quick glance can't see anything about Alternative power.

Also saw the pollution pdf so got that too for some reading.

Really appreciate it all gents, thank you.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    As we sit in the dark once again ... just had to replace the battery in the alarm "AGAIN".
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345