Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning and surge protection insurance

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Lightning and surge protection insurance

I got a response from my broker today.

Our appliances are protected against lightning, but NOT POWER SURGES.

Its have to be specified so that it can be added to the premium.

So its time to look into a better option.

Time to go invest in a pile of those ellies surge protection plug tops and do all the paper work to register the plug tops which come with a R30 000 worth of surge cover.

Or am I smoking that 5 leaf green tree again ... that helps with my anger management therapy.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Our insurance broker recommended getting a surge arrester for the DB the electrician fitted 2 one for live and one for neutral.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211124_091942.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	8403
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We still have to specify items for "surge damage" even if we have a "lightning protection" device in the DB ... they said it is not the same thing .. best you verify and get it in writing ... with the page and clause that covers you.

That why I am rather looking into surge protection and cover using the Ellies surge protection plugs which apparently have R30 k cover if you register the items ... this makes sense rather than paying to fit all the protection and then still have to specify the items and still hold my ankles for the insurance company ... then still have to sit with a assessor while he interrogates to see if he coan use something I say against me ... I have too many insurance company T-shirts. Dealing with them when customer have taken ample precaution to protect their installation.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Our insurance broker recommended getting a surge arrester for the DB the electrician fitted 2 one for live and one for neutral.

Name:	IMG_20211124_091942.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	8403
    Looks like the left hand surge protector might alread have failed or maybe the green indicator light is just very dim....

Gold Member
    Thanks
    This is a good read !
    So even if you have an SPD (Surge Protection Device) type 2 they will consider that as lightning protection and not surge ?

Those plug based SPDs of Ellies i believe are Type 3. A massive surge may just blow it to pieces and it needs a Type 2 device before that. So the type 2 takes and handles most of the surge and the let through current or voltage is made smaller that of which the type 3 can handle.

Its like a funnel with type 1 handling the largest and its let through is what type 2 can handle in which then the let through of type 2 is what type 3 can handle.

Now this is my understanding only. I still need to get hold of DHEN. I only know this bits from Podcasts, about 6 hours worth haha, and then small bits of reading where I can.

Anyway intresting on the R30k cover from them. Want to look into that too...

my book of things to do keeps growing but I love it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Reading a bit on that Ellies plug top now and in the spec sheet it claims "Insurance Compliant" so that is cool.

Also the Voltages and currents it handles are high. Now a direct lightning strike or even a nearby one may be too much for it but then having the Type 2 or even Type 1 where necessary then I reckon you are "safe as houses" in being covered and protected.

But if the insurance people like just the plugtop and Ellies them selves have 30K where their product is then there is perhaps a cheaper and easier way to go.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just be careful when dealing with lightning protection ... I am busy looking into "lightning protection" for a factory ... its not as simple as fitting Type 2 arresters in the DB ... you also have to look at the building and find out if it has some form of lightning protection what type.

Fuse protection for bigger installation ... I am busy with a 400 and 800 amp supply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Looks like the left hand surge protector might alread have failed or maybe the green indicator light is just very dim....
    The left hand protector never flashes just the right hand one flashes I thought it was just that it was on the neutral and the other on live. That's what I was told when it was fitted.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    The left hand protector never flashes just the right hand one flashes I thought it was just that it was on the neutral and the other on live. That's what I was told when it was fitted.
    Apologies, I didn't look too closely at the modules you have. Usually a 1-pole and neutral surge arrestor would be fitted like this one

Name:	QFL2 DUAL.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	8405

You actually have two separate 1-pole modules which aren't designed to go on the neutral hence the indicator lamp doesn't work.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    You actually have two separate 1-pole modules which aren't designed to go on the neutral hence the indicator lamp doesn't work.
    So you never know when it has failed then?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast