Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Time to invoice

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Points noted ... These kind of discussions are good for business ... especially for small businesses.

Something I have noticed recently ... a lot of companies (service) ... will not entertain a discussion or a site visit with a service technician until a service ticket is created ... the catch is unless you attach a full description of what it means when you receive a service ticket ... its pretty pointless.

This is were a webiste for the company would be a good idea ... which would have information like the terms and conditions of a service ticket ... standard rates charged for callouts ... hourly rates ... you could attach a notice for the customer so that they understand the T&C's.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A further problem is that the on-site customer might not be the one signing off on the quote or invoice. The chef will happily waste your entire day faffing around in the kitchen with all his issues but he might not have the authority to authorize payment.

Be very careful to make sure that you get the correct person (the one paying the invoice) to sign off on the quote (BEFORE YOU DO ANY WORK OR MAKE PROMISES)

The opposite is also true - The technician on-site may not have the authority to make promises to the customer - you have to make sure that everybody concerned know exactly what are the boundaries of their authority and responsibilities.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Sometimes it is better not to let the staff were you are working know that you are the boss ... it encourages under hand expectations ... I have had a staff member at a large firm try bully me into doing back hands ... when I declined to play along ... he tried getting his mates in to take over my work .. shame he didnt know the CEO's wife was my teacher at school and they were very happy with the quality of workmanship.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I remember years ago, last century , I was very hands on, and installing Taxi Meters, and countless occasions, I was solicited to do work on the side for cash, little did they know I was the boss.
    I always respectfully declined citing that the boss would fire me.

Anyway years later once I had staff doing the work, and being aware of this, I always tried to reduce the temptation, by specifically designed dedicated tools which were locked up every evening, but they did find a way.
    Eventually I managed to dismiss the culprit, but man was that difficult to prove. This was in the days before cameras so not so easy, as the customers were complicit in the deal.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I always respectfully declined citing that the boss would fire me.
    I use this "The boss" "The accountant" "The lawyer" etc. ploy every so often. When people know you are the boss they try to push you around. I make a point of being cagey about the company structure so that I always have a scapegoat to blame when decisions are not to the customer's liking.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I also use the statement, Ohhhh I can not make this decision with out speaking to the other share holders.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

7. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (26-Nov-21)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234