Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to invoice

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Time to invoice again ---

You get a call to quote for a job ... things are a bit tight ... you are between projects and need something to fill the gap ... you arrive on site and walk through the site with the customer ... offering advise were you can (thanks to your years of experience) ... he asks if you know anything about geysers ... you on site you ... you climb in the roof and repair the geyser ... finish up with the customer 1.5 hours later and head back to the office ... complete the quote and send it ... a week later no response ... you call ... the customer got a cheaper quote.

So you send him and invoice for the time to repair the geyser ... that were the fight started.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    While we on a roll with these invoices ... I have another one.

I get a call to install a whole stack of lights ... fit a couple plugs and a few other items.

I arrive on site ... customer doesnt request a quote ... a referral from a friend ... check with the friend that the customer is legit and pays his bills ... I thumbs up.

We busy doing the job the customer (turns out to be the builder/handyman for the customer) he starts rattling on about all the big projects he has on the go ... talks about big cables and new buildings ... blah blah blah blah ... head that story so many times.

I get done with what I need to do and send him the bill ... he doesn pay ... this goes on for a week or 2 ... eventually I make a comment on facebook about him and his customer ... this recoils into a huge issue ... with threats ... I dont back down to a threat ... you better make sure you have balls to man up when its time to do what t is you threatening ... anyway I get a call from the customer wanting to know why I threw his name ... I tell him the builder has paid ... I meet both him and the builder on site ... it turns out the builder had been paid and decided he was going to just keep quiet and not pay me ... thinking I would take the "BIG" job bait ... thats were the fight started.

By the time I got to the freeway the message that the full amount had been paid was received.

A tip --- Small project favours come when you have already made enough money form the builder to warranty favours on the side ... dont get suckered into that one ... been there done that.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lesson here.
    Before starting any small job, let the client know that he has to pay, and what the expected amount is going to be.
    If the client thinks its too high, you already know what to do, don't waste your time with the big quote then.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I need to get to site ... one last one.

You collect the quote from the consultant ... fill it out do all the design work ... flow charts ... panel design ... material costing ... then fill it out in pencil ... drop it off with the main contractor.

You complete the project within the parameters of the quote with a decent markup.

You prepare your invoice and send it to the main contractor ... and thats were the fight starts.

You get called into the office and told that you need to sharpen your pencil because "WE" didnt make any money on the project and a huge reduction in your invoice is required ... but dont worry we will make it up on the the next big project ... that was already project 67 ... 7 years after you had started working with the main contractor.

A tip - Dont fall into the trap in the beginning ... they will ride you to the limit ...squeeze you for ever penny ... its been 11years since I last did a project with that company ... they still ask me to come back and work with them ... maybe when I am ready to make some decent money I will go have a beer with him.

Know your worth and charge accordingly ... it is becoming more and more difficult to find qualified skilled people with lots of experience.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What I have learnt, the guys who have the most money (wealthy) are always crying they are not making a profit. Sorry meant that they want to make more profit off your sweat.

My reply is always, Sh?t man I made a mistake on my quote, and that I should have increased the quote by 15%, but because it was a firm quote and we have been doing business for so long, I decided to accept the loss, so sorry can not make it any cheaper, and by the way, exactly when are you paying me?
    I need the cash to pay my suppliers!

I have had so many threats that they will go to somebody else in the future who is cheaper.
    I simply reply, look man just pay me for the quality work I have done, and you are quite welcome to seek cheaper in future. You have my number if you need any more quality work done.

Most times I get the call for the next job.

It is all a game to get you to drop your price, they know they getting a good deal.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Time to invoice again ---

You get a call to quote for a job ... things are a bit tight ... you are between projects and need something to fill the gap ... you arrive on site and walk through the site with the customer ... offering advise were you can (thanks to your years of experience) ... he asks if you know anything about geysers ... you on site you ... you climb in the roof and repair the geyser ... finish up with the customer 1.5 hours later and head back to the office ... complete the quote and send it ... a week later no response ... you call ... the customer got a cheaper quote.

So you send him and invoice for the time to repair the geyser ... that were the fight started.
    Dude - You really need to learn to be up front with your customers - I've said this before - YOU CAN'T ASSUME THAT PEOPLE OWE YOU!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Dude - You really need to learn to be up front with your customers - I've said this before - YOU CAN'T ASSUME THAT PEOPLE OWE YOU!
    This is an old trick ... I dont get caught for these "while you here ... wont you just"

I am just sharing a life time of experiences that I have been burnt and maybe the newbies can learn from my mistakes.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (24-Nov-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The bottom line is very simple:

Be up front with customers and tell them what you are going to charge them - The service provider is to blame for not making it clear - not the customer for asking!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Time to invoice ... actually this one is specially for Adrian ... I hadnt got to invoice yet.

I get a beep on my phone ... a payment ... strange I dont recall an invoice for that amount ... I had been working for a customer for almost a week.

I hadnt created an invoice yet nor requested payment ... yet there was an amount paid for more than the time I had spent of site ... when I enquired about the payment ... The customer informed me they felt it was right to pay something because I had already been working for a few days ... going on what they had paid other services ... it was a fair amount to pay ... it certainly was more than a progress invoice.

The electrical contractors have created this problem for ourselves ... no consistency in the industry ... offering free quotes ... labour rates all over the place ... some f the ridiculous pricing I see in the industry ... no wonder the industry is in such shambles ... no skilled people to police the industry.

What are people going to do if a scan payment is introduced in stores ... just assume that you can walk out he shop because there is no teller or security to check your goods as you exit.

I dont see why you should assume that you dont have to pay for a service ??? ... to make even worse ... its not like its a walk in service ... where there is no costs involved ... its the time for the person to drive to the site ... the vehicle expense ... petrol price going through the roof.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I dont see why you should assume that you dont have to pay for a service ???
    You misunderstand what I said.
    1. I said that it is up to the service provider to make it clear what he is going to charge.
    2. The customer has the right to ask for service (and can rightfully claim that he does not know what the payment terms will be).
    3. If the service provider is unclear about his charges then some customers may assume that there will be no charge just as some customers will assume that there will be a charge.

On a personal note: I dislike "loosy goosy" working arrangements: I quote up front and get paid accordingly and I expect my service providers to quote up front so that I can pay accordingly. Very few people appreciate surprises in business so getting an unexpected invoice with no prior discussion is going to annoy people. I also had one customer that would deposit money before formally placing an order - I put a quick stop to that because prices go up and sometimes the required parts are simply not available to do the job.

This debate comes down to one fundamental: Who is in charge of your financial life - you or your customers. I choose to take responsibility for everything related to my financial well being and as such I choose to educate my customers about my financial expectations thus there are no excuses on either part, no grey area - just black and white - I am going to charge this and you are going to get that - no less no more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast