Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calculation time for a backup system

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Calculation time for a backup system

An example:

I have an office which requires backup power for 2 hours (more like 3-4 ...but for the calculation we will use 2 hrs)

The office has 20 computers and a few other small devices like ... routers ... a switch ... a telephone system and a few other electronic devices.

Fed from 10 dedicated 20 amp circuits.

10 offices each with 2 x dedicated plug tops.

I took current readings on each circuit breaker ... adding up to 23 amps

Lets say we didnt have a current clamp ... so we had to do calculations.

20 computers @ 250w (highest value) = 5000 watts

taking into consideration a 08 pf = 6250 va

rounded to 6.3 kva

Allow for a few extra unexpected devices to be plugged in for future.

lets say an 8 KVA inverter should do the job

Now we need batteries ...
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My computer has a 650 watt power supply - what about screens, printers, cellphone chargers, laptops and peripherals.

Calculate at worst case - not best case!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We talking normal people using a normal computer ... not a gaming computer or graphic design computer.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    By the way I used current clamp and measured the current ... so 150 - 250 watt sounds about right.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Interesting....my piece of crap 10 year old XP desktop on my Vinyl cutter has a 300watt power supply, its screen requires 300watt. The old Pentium on the CNC runs 500watt and its screen requires 300watt. All 4 the laptops in the house are rated 330watt or more. 3 of the laptops are at least 5 years old - just i3 or i5 - nothing special.

Only the old brother printer comes in at 200watt.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Got hold of my mate google and did a search ... this is what I came up with ... then added a few values ... then increased and so we went from 238 watts past 600 watts ... then we need to add a screen ... lets say 400 watt?

This is the kind of challenges we face when a customer calls and requests a quote.

https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Got hold of my mate google and did a search ... this is what I came up with ... then added a few values ... then increased and so we went from 238 watts past 600 watts ... then we need to add a screen ... lets say 400 watt?

This is the kind of challenges we face when a customer calls and requests a quote.

https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/
    The problem with these calculators is that you end up having to make serious assumptions - Different graphics cards have vastly different power requirements.

I would work on at least 800-1000watt per workstation.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets use a real life example ... running at the moment on a 5 kva inverter

I have 8 computer and 8 screens ... 2 big TV's ... a server ... 2 network switches ... an XVR with 30 cameras ... an alarm system ... and a few other small items like a router etc.

Lets say I use your 800 watt suggestion 8x800watt = 64000watts ... that would mean I need a 8 kva inverter ... drawing around 35 amps just the computers.

If I log into one of my data monitoring devices and view the charts ... right now if I live view the unit ... total load is 875 watts and nobody is in the office ... all partitions are armed ... go back 2 days to the middle of the day when everyone is at work and the system is at full load ... 1200 watts ... which means we drawing about 5.2 amps.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dunno - Could be that the PC power supplies and things are rated for max consumption rather than general usage consumption. I am just looking at ratings on the devices.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets say we stick to 250 watts per computer and we want the system to backup the power for 3 hours ... a total of 5kw around 23 amps ...

We know for a fact that we have 23 amps on the dedicated circuits .. .so regardless of the computer power using a 25 amp guide line would be a wise choice.

I wouldnt even consider installing an inverter smaller than 8 kva.

If I want the batteries to backup the system for 3 hours (50% DOD ... lead acid ... not ideal ) and I were to install 4 x 12 VDC batteries to create 48 VDC ... I would need 947 amp/hr or 45.46 kw/hr ... R80k ... from personal experience ...we getting about 3-4 years out of lead acids deep cycles.

If I were to use lithium to backup the system for 3 hours (80% DOD) at 48 VDC ... I would need 391 amp/hr or 18.76 kw/hr ... R100 k ... havent installed a lithium battery pack yet.

That sounds like a lot of battery power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast