Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: COC for a solar system

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here is another link when using a DC breaker but polarity reversed.
    DC Circuit Breaker Fires

Always check the polarity and also which is supply and which side is load.
    When using multiple poles on a breaker for a single circuit, there is a proper way to connect which will reduce arcing as well. Do a search on the web.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I need to climb on the roof and try take a pic of the label under the panel ... If this customer wasnt such a good customer ... I would have walked away.

It pisses me off that contractors cant just do things right the first time ... there is one thing dealing with customer with short arms and deep pocket who bitch and whine about every cent ... always looking for the cheapest job ... I feel nothing for those kind of customers.

I am busy trying to clean up the alarm companies mess ... the sytem has just been upgraded all brand new ... but he leaves the transformer from the old system under the bed ... you charge the customer for a full replacement ... replace the whole system and dont just glue the new wires over the last 2 systems ... now we have 3 wires deep of alarm wires ... wires hanging everywhere .. .you cant even climb into the roof without having to move alarm wires ... the new CCTV wiring even worse ... mr twist and tape ... no solder .. .no connectors and not one junction box.

In future we do the entire project ... solar ... generator ... electrical ... alarm ... cctv and network cabling (thats another mess another mr twist and tape) ... I just cant keep up with all the work ... I have had 3 backup inverter requests ... no quote ... just do the job ... and 2 solar installs ... one a house and the other farm with multiple buildings ... I just dont have the time.

It look like I wont be moving a factory over December this year ... so I might get to enjoy time with the family and think about 2022.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I've been asked to do a COC for a new solar installation(panels, inverters the works). As far as I'm aware there is no COC specifically for a solar installation or sections in the existing COC that covers solar. You would only tick on the alternative supply box. Is this correct ? I've seen solar installers offering a COC with the installation, which has got me doubting myself.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    You have just reminded me ... thats another issue we need to address ... the electric fence ... its a pity it doesnt have a gas installation.

I want to use this property as an example of what you should expect from an electrical contractor/inspector.

To give an over view of the property.

The owner purchased the property a couple years ago ... a COC was issued for the property at the time of the sale ... all I am going to say is the COC wasnt done properly.

Since then the customer has requested a few minor additions and alterations ... unfortunately because the COC was not valid ... I couldn't issue a supplementary COC for work I have carried out.

Then the customer requested a quote for a solar installation ... due to my lack of qualifications and experience installing solar ... I advised they got a recommended installer (that didnt go the way I hoped)

Now we are at a stage were ... the property is almost ready to be tested ... still a few minor things to be taken care of.
    Correct me if i am wrong ...we do hundreds of coc's.We just issue new coc's and dont go look for old coc and issue supplementary we just state what the coc covers in section 3.If you only have to provide coc for a plug you dont worry about rest of house you say coc only covers plug installed.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Or it is seen as an appliance.There is nothing on the coc that covers it other than ticking alternative supply.The issue comes in when cheap products are used ,and the purchaser of property wants everything to work but has cheap inverter etc

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    If hybrid systems is used in parallel with incoming mains and any switchgear is changed at point of consumption (db board) then a new coc is warranted. Labelling of db board should indicate that alternate supply is present and in case of emergency both mains supply and alternate supply should be isolated. Pv systems are deemed fixed installations and there are no legislation in SA governing the installation we should at least expect pv installers have acquired green card for installations. There are many alternative supplies available if not connected to incoming mains supply (Free standing ups systems) then coc is not required.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Here is another link when using a DC breaker but polarity reversed.
    DC Circuit Breaker Fires

Always check the polarity and also which is supply and which side is load.
    When using multiple poles on a breaker for a single circuit, there is a proper way to connect which will reduce arcing as well. Do a search on the web.
    Dc contactors or breakers have blow out magnets that are polarity sensitive + to +and-to - the polarity is stated on the connecting studs

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Dc supply always more positive than load side. As contactors or interuptors are in series of the positive lead the + always go to the battery or array the load is always more negative than the source

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Electrician View Post
    I've been asked to do a COC for a new solar installation(panels, inverters the works). As far as I'm aware there is no COC specifically for a solar installation or sections in the existing COC that covers solar. You would only tick on the alternative supply box. Is this correct ? I've seen solar installers offering a COC with the installation, which has got me doubting myself.
    From the question you pose I am understanding that a supposed "Solar installer " has installed the system and is now asking you as a separate Electrical contractor to sign off on the installation .
    On a new installation you cannot sign it off unless it was under your general control according to the OHSA an extract pasted below. By signing off on the PV plant you are supporting an illegal contractor.

Solar installation is Electrical Installation work and DC work needs to be under the general control of an installation electrician.Solar installers should be registered as Electrical contractors and belong to the NBCEI .

At the moment SANS have create confusion , in my opinion, with regards to COC for PV .
    If you are doing Solar ensure that you write up under comments as to what was done and ensure that all tests are carried out - There is nothing wrong with attaching your own test sheet to the COC.

The latest SANS 10142-1 ED3.01 states that SANS 10142-1-2 Should be used for SSEG installations - Part 2 was published last year and then withdrawn.

Extract from the Foreword of SANS10142-1 ED3.01
    The test report in edition 3 may be used in parallel with the test report in
    edition 3.1 for a period of 12 months from the date of publication of edition 3.1.
    With the first edition of this part of SANS 10142, the standard was subdivided
    and now consists of the following parts, under the general title The wiring of
    premises:
    Part 1: Low-voltage installations.
    Part 1-1: Low-voltage installation in medical locations.
    Part 1-2: Additional special requirements for low voltage small scale
    embedded generator installations connected in parallel to the normal electrical
    supply.
    Part 2: Medium-voltage installations above 1 kV a.c. not exceeding 22 kV a.c.
    and up to and including 3 MVA installed capacity.
    Table 4.1 contains a list of the applicable standards for the components that
    may be installed in an electrical installation.

Extract frpm OHSA - Electrical Installation Rules
    Issuing of certificate of compliance
    9. (1) No person other than a registered person may issue a certificate of compliance.
    (2) A registered person may issue a certificate of compliance accompanied by the required test report only after having satisfied himself or herself by means of an inspection and test that
    (a)
    a new electrical installation complies with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and was carried out under his or her general control; or
    (b)
    an electrical installation which existed prior to the publication of the current edition of the health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations in terms of regulation 5(1), complies with the general safety principles of such standard; or
    (c)
    an electrical installation referred to in paragraph (b), to which extensions or alterations have been effected, that
    (i) the existing part of the electrical installation complies with the general safety principles of such standard and is reasonably safe, and
    10 No. 31975 GOVERNMENT GAZETTE, 6 MARCH 2009
    (ii) the extensions or alterations effected comply with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and were carried out under his or her general control.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast