Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Earth leakage trips everytime loadshedding ends

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    If either the fridge safe or the tv safe sees no neutral, neither of them will turn on the supply. So they do also check for a lost neutral.
    I don't know where you picked up that they need to be registered. Registered with who ?

If you use either of them, it should not be necessary to claim for damages ....

I'm speaking under correction but Justloadit has a similar product and it will be interesting to hear his take.

Peace out ... Derek
    Thank you for the reference, yes I call it a FridgeGuard.
    Any unit that can detect a voltage window will probably work.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Post links so people can see your products ... and keep posting them so we dont forget.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Trip connect ... surge protection plug ... fridge/TV guards and you wont need insurance ... not that cover electrical surges ... unless you can prove there was lightning on that day ...it hit your house and the damage is so serve that every burnt beyond repair.

Check the box for registration requirements on the surge products ... we have had a few very unhappy customers who bought surge plugs advertising R30 000 cover in big writing across the box so clear you can ready it as you enter the isle in the super market ... then you need to get your glasses or magnifying glass yo read the small print ... which includes registering the product.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Link please

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here is a short brochure
    Fridge Guard
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

6. Thanks given for this post:

rodga (12-Nov-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Imagine ... load shedding starting again today ... I get a call from my house ... power switched on a 4pm ... the earth leakage unit tripped and wont switch on.

I get home a half and hour later and try switch it on ... trip ... trip ...trip ... yip I have got a CBI earth leakage ... time to upgrade and dump the CBI crap ... there is no way on this earth I am wasting R820 on a replacement CBI leakage when I can buy a fully populated DB with a main switch ... earth leakage ... geyser combo with 10 and 20 maps breakers for R400.

please dont tell me the price of the CBI ElL unit is so ridiculous because of the quality ... then maybe I should show you my box of CBI junk.

8. Thanks given for this post:

rodga (17-Nov-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    By the way ... when the power eventually did switch on ... I noticed my lights were flickering ... so I have connected the fluke PQA and want to see what happens when the power switch off and back again.

Set for dips and swells and transients ... we load shed from 4-6 tomorrow ... that 6 am switching is gonna be interesting considering everyone is getting ready for work.

Lunches are already made .... geyser will switch on between 2 and 4 to make sure the water is hot and all the lights will be hooked in place ready for the morning buzz.

10. Thank given for this post:

Dylboy (17-Nov-21), rodga (17-Nov-21)

Thanks
    Ian I agree. I do not buy CBI period.

For Samite boards, Swan is good and they the same size as CBI.

Lear and Ausma are also good but they need more slots, so when space in the DB is not a problem, I go for them.

For Din rail, I stick with Chint. Never let me down.

One thing I must say is that when it comes to geyser timers, I have found that CBI timers last the longest. In fact I only use CBI for geyser timers. No relay needed. Fit that timer and forget about it. Touch wood, I haven't had one fail yet. It's the QAT - TRDM timer and fits both Samite and Din rail boards.

Peace out ... Derek

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have in the past (a couple of years ago) connected my fluke 435 to check for transient spikes ... none were detected ... so I have never bothered to do another test.

Then I started reading posts about earth leakage units trips when load shedding was restored (you woudlnt know if it happened when it switched off) during the same period getting call outs for tripping earth leakage units ... all the call outs I attended to have been CBI units.

I had an issue at home a couple weeks ago during load shedding ... earth leakage tripping (I have a CBI unit ... the new skinny one) ... but it only happed twice.

Yesterday I got a call to say the earth leakage was tripping and wouldnt reset ... I got home a half an hour later and tried to reset it ... went through the procedure ... still tripped ...eventually after numerous attempts it stayed up.

It was time to connect the 435 again ... Well heres the bad news ... it recoded 8 transient events at 4 am just before the power actually switched off and then 11 transient events while the power was attempting to re- energise ... the transients are everything from distorted wave forms to spike within the wave form ... transients on the neutral etc etc etc.

Why suddenly now ... could it be that the grid has deteriorated so much that even the load shedding can sustain the load ... People talk of a total collapse ... I never thought it would be a reality ... unitl I started view the events recorded ... I am not an electrical engineer ... but from more than 15 years of using the 435 ... have never seen a waveform distort in this manner ... it indicate to me that the grid cannot cope with the switching on an off of the power.

People are asking if a lightning arrestor will resolve the issues ... and how can they prevent it ... my only suggestion would be to switch go and switch off every device and then you main switch before load shedding ... then wait a couple of minutes once the power is restored ... before you switch on again ... but it is also not that simple ... if there are these kind of transient spikes on the neutral ... which is bonded to the earth ... it could be a little more complicated.

I would say rather makes sure you have the correct insurance cover ... apparently you need to be insured for all surges ... not lightning surges ... a customer lost a R230 000 claim because they proved that there was no lightning on the day of the power surge ... cause unknown ... it every single electronic device in the building the entire road.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Ian I agree. I do not buy CBI period.

For Samite boards, Swan is good and they the same size as CBI.

Lear and Ausma are also good but they need more slots, so when space in the DB is not a problem, I go for them.

For Din rail, I stick with Chint. Never let me down.

One thing I must say is that when it comes to geyser timers, I have found that CBI timers last the longest. In fact I only use CBI for geyser timers. No relay needed. Fit that timer and forget about it. Touch wood, I haven't had one fail yet. It's the QAT - TRDM timer and fits both Samite and Din rail boards.

Peace out ... Derek
    I only use the ASC for geysers ... 30 amp rating ... are they going to last ... only time will tell ... its new product.

What I can tell you ... there is already an issue with the new batch just released ... the light doesnt work the same ... blue on to indicate linked and switched off ... blue with a flashing red light to indicate linked and switch on.

The new ASC look like a reject batch ... you cant even see when the blue light is flashing fast to link to the wifi ... I am told this is how they now work ... I call it bullshyte ... something has gone wrong with the batch and they just saying that that to unload.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast