Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: solar systems

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think if governments / municipalities were to stop using "energy" as a taxation scapegoat things would be a whole lot better. Energy is expensive in part because it is easy to tax (and in this country tax=stolen)

I wonder what proportion of money charged for electricity is actually supposed to go to ESKOM. Could it be that the municipalities take this money and don't pay it over?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Kodak?

Talk about a change of direction.

https://www.kodak.com/en/consumer/pr...s/solar-panels

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It seems Kodak are just rebranding Goodwe ... axpert and any other product ... using the name to generate sales.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What I always find amazing is how things are done in other countries.

I found a few videos showing how individuals open a battery rip it apart and refurbish it with tools that is not that hard to get. The competitions however on the paste is not that clear.
    Anyone with a Good CNC can reproduce almost all of the tools they have here and that is the scary part. Essentially most of us here have "big tools" and we can do a lot with them and here are individuals with hand tools fixing batteries that can be used again and again.

Then i watched this and it is a lot more technical...

peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Hi everyone

I have a 3KVA inverter and 2 100amp batteries which were installed by an electrician. I have spent a total of almost R12,000.00 in purchasing these devices. The inverter was installed less than 2 months ago and I have had nothing but problems. It started with the system providing me with 15 min run time and it would switch off. Had the electrician back, tested and check everything, and pulled up his shoulders?! Send the batteries (12V jell) back to suppliers, got told they could not replace them, and got a refund. Then bought 2 more jell batteries and exactly the same thing happened. Send batteries back to the supplier, I am now on my 3rd set of batteries but I still have the same problem. I spend two days making phone calls to tech support as I thought it could be the inverter itself but according to them, it is the batteries. The batteries are new, not second hand and I need help and advice.
    My geyser is not connected to the system as it has its own solar panel. I am only running my fridge, TV, and DSTV on the inverter.
    Can anybody please advise me?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanw View Post
    Hi everyone

I have a 3KVA inverter and 2 100amp batteries which were installed by an electrician. I have spent a total of almost R12,000.00 in purchasing these devices. The inverter was installed less than 2 months ago and I have had nothing but problems. It started with the system providing me with 15 min run time and it would switch off. Had the electrician back, tested and check everything, and pulled up his shoulders?! Send the batteries (12V jell) back to suppliers, got told they could not replace them, and got a refund. Then bought 2 more jell batteries and exactly the same thing happened. Send batteries back to the supplier, I am now on my 3rd set of batteries but I still have the same problem. I spend two days making phone calls to tech support as I thought it could be the inverter itself but according to them, it is the batteries. The batteries are new, not second hand and I need help and advice.
    My geyser is not connected to the system as it has its own solar panel. I am only running my fridge, TV, and DSTV on the inverter.
    Can anybody please advise me?
    The fridge will kill the batteries - if it is an older fridge it will explain the 15minutes

On 2 x 100Amphr batteries you should not run more than 350W of electricity per hour and then you might get them to last 2 years , with present load shedding probably not even 2 years

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Also the inverter settings may be that the cottage settings to shut down may be quite high so not using the full capacity.

As GCE said the fridge will pull quite a few watts when running but the compressor starts up at even a 5x the current rating will whack the batteries properly and even so maybe make the batteries volt drop enough in that moment to hit cut off voltage.

Take fridge off by unplugging just before load shed and see how long it runs as a primary rest to try rule out fridge per say.

Also for Gel batteries running the smallest load possible is needed to get longevity as well as suffiecnt charge to full in the short charge duration of loadshedding

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Let this be a warning to all sparkies installing these 3.5 kva inverters with 2 x 100 amp/hr, just dont do it, or if you are desperate enough to go down this rabbit hole, make sure the customer installs a Pi3b+ with solar assistant. If not you going to be running back and forth for the next 3 months until eventually you just stop answering your phone and hopefully the customer will go away.

I learnt very quickly with these units, they do have watch power, but the time to keep going back to checks the info, not worth it.

People drop the cutoff voltage way too long and within a couple months the batteries are done.

These 3.5 kva units should not be connected to the electrical installation.

Some will say that there units runs for hours, yes it will if you only have a router connected to it.

As GCE mentioned, anything more than 350 watts and you wasting your money, which you doing anyway.

These units use power on standby, they use power when they being charged and not very efficient, so yes your electricity bill will go up at the end of the months.

By the way you dont need to keep the fridge running for 2 hours load shedding, stay out of the fridge and freezer or do what I have done, frozen ice cream containers full of water and leave them in the deep freeze. Make sure your fridge is not installed in direct sunlight.

Thanks
    Some solar entertainment for the day.

R450 000 and still a balls up.

Better I stick to what I know best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAzH1eIxPWM

Have a great day, All.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the problems here is not enough batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanw View Post
    It started with the system providing me with 15 min run time and it would switch off.
    Put in 20 of the same type of batteries and you'll be up to 150 minutes.

Or put another way:
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    On 2 x 100Amphr batteries you should not run more than 350W of electricity per hour and then you might get them to last 2 years , with present load shedding probably not even 2 years
    Put in 20 of the same type of batteries and you can run up to 3.5 kW.

Now compare that to Lithium batteries, and factor in expected lifetime for each option...
    And space required...

You're going to have to spend more to get what you want, I'm afraid.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast