Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to put ideas into practise

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Cashflow management is part of the math. You need to keep a spreadsheet (ALL THE TIME) of expected income/expenses. That way you stay on top of your cashflow needs. I can't see you getting a loan based on a business plan - banks are not in the gambling business - they want 100% assurance that they will get their money back aka collateral

Paying 30% HP on an overpriced car that devalues faster than a cellphone is not an investment!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    With any large project in which I have to finance, requires very careful thinking.

Part of the plan is to get progress payments, this not only funds the project as you go, but also ensures that the client does not renegate on payment when the project is finished. This happens more often than not, leaving you in a deep hole. If the first payment does not get made, you simply stop continuing, and go some where else. At this time the loss is small. If at all possible get a deposit up front with the order to cover the first stage before a progress payment is made.

Of course all this is easier said than done, you need an iron clad agreement, here you require a lawyer to set it up for you. If the client is not interested in this arrangement, you know what? tell them to take a hike, there are more jobs out there with out a risk. I know it is veryu deifficult to walk away, our human nature is very greedy, and wants to take the job on, but it is a mistake.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I also think that many people often confuse cashflow and profit with one another. Turning over large amounts of money doesn't necessarily mean that you are making a profit. This is also why planning is important and why it is important to stay on top of things - if you make R1million and spend R1million and R1 then you are better off sitting on your butt watching DVDs all day....

4. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (07-Nov-21)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How true.
    Profit is an interesting number.
    If I turned to you and said that I only make 1.5% profit on R4million turn over a month, you probably say that it is a crappy business.
    Now If I say, well lets look at the business model that was used to do this business.

I use R100K over draft, and turn it 1 to 2 times a day, making the turn over per day between R130K to R200K a day.
    I pay R2,500 in over draft fees for the use of this over draft per month, and the client pays cash up front for every invoice, albeit small values of R200 to R1000.
    My running expenses, was about R25K a month.
    All business transactions was done via a web page, so it required very little human input, as it was all automated.

So with R100K I made a gross profit of R60K per month, less expenses made it a nett profit somewhere around R25K a month.
    Looking at a yearly value, with an investment of almost R0.00 and standing surety for R100K, I made R300K a year.

Now where do you make a return like that?
    Even If I did not use the overdraft, and invested R100K of my own money, that means a return of 300%

Any business can make money, you need to sit down, and run the numbers, and understand your business model.

Unfortunately I closed this business down some 4 years ago, as it was in the technology arena, and since that market is morphing all the time, my specific model was no longer a viable conduit to make money. The Service providers and banks with deeper pockets starting implementing similar models to what I had, and since they had deeper pockets, I was no match. Got out while the going was good.

There are times that taking a loan, or standing surety makes sense. You must understand the risk before signing surety.
    There is no way that I would sign surety for a even a few R100K to buy material for a job, only because I received an official order. The order is not worth the paper that it is written on if you do not get paid!!!!

Remember the saying, that it is better to have one bird in the hand, than two flying away.
    Always, always think in the manner that the client is not going to pay for this job, so how will I ensure or secure payment?
    Once you master this, then you will start being successful at your business.

A lesson I learnt from a very old man when I was in my younger 20s

"Son, the only people who have taken me, were the people I trusted!"

Now think back, all the times that you were done in, were when you allowed yourself to be taken. Do not get yourself in this position in the first place.
    Rather not do the job, and have money in the bank, then get the order and do not get paid and you owe everyone you bought from.
    The same amount of work could have been put into going to a dam and do some fly fishing, it would be more relaxing with out the stress
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think most of us have the same stories to tell ... payments for months no problem then the last one which is normally the biggest amount ... suddenly becomes a problem.

the biggest financial loss in my life was trusting an insurance broker ... You know that F%^&*$%^&* butt F%^& that comes and puts your family as a reason you should take out dreaded disease cover and now that 22 you could have a heart attack and your family would be left with nothing ... that piece of crap who adds life cover to every policy ... you know what I am talking about or your gonna learn one day when you reach that day when you are suppose to collect on all those policies ... anyway lets change the subject.

I have a mentor whos turnover is 4 million a month ... like he said his "profit margin is only 2 percent ... like he mentioned thats after everything has been paid ... he is left with 2 % profit in his pocket ... 2 % of 4 million would keep me smiling.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I have a mentor whos turnover is 4 million a month ... like he said his "profit margin is only 2 percent ... like he mentioned thats after everything has been paid ... he is left with 2 % profit in his pocket ... 2 % of 4 million would keep me smiling.

I prefer to select my customers / services very carefully to make very high profits for the least amount of work. The lasers run simultaneously with the CNC machines while I bill cash for CAD drawing. (Hell, I made R6k last week for a couple of hours of drawing in the evenings) My other work is also practically pure profit because I have my customers pay for all the materials up front and the repeat work is pure profit with hardly any labor.

My daughter is busy with her 4th year a varsity and she tutors online earning BIG dollars in her PayPal account.

You can make huge profits if you select appropriate markets.

Thanks
    Not gonna be too long now and you ain't gonna be able to buy a loaf of bread with 2% of 4 million.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How can making a 2% profit be a viable business? Considering the risk of doing business, one could be bankrupt in a blink of an eye. Consider the risks of pilfering, theft, hijacking, stock deterioration or obsolescence, environmental disasters and to top it all, changes in the regulatory environment, as governments cannot be trusted.

If you work on an overdraft, you may have to sell your house to repay your creditors!

In my previous life I had a client with a R1 billion turnover, making about 3 % net. He had invested in property and plant, vehicles and employed a huge workforce. He worked night and day and liked the excitement and adrenaline, but he was getting older. After analysing his business, he realised that the small to medium guys that he was supplying, was making 10 times as much profit with half the effort!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    In my previous life I had a client with a R1 billion turnover, making about 3 % net. He had invested in property and plant, vehicles and employed a huge workforce. He worked night and day and liked the excitement and adrenaline, but he was getting older. After analysing his business, he realised that the small to medium guys that he was supplying, was making 10 times as much profit with half the effort!
    I know such a person as well. They guy is worth over R1 Billion on paper but he can't sell the business. People often mistake "on paper value" for cash in the bank - they are different beasts.

I just got an order (10 minutes ago) for R10k of laser cutting (This customer places such orders once to twice a month for the past 7 years and they are expanding). The customer has the materials delivered to my doorstep months in advance and I cut the stuff in my spare time so as to ensure that I always have stock at hand for them. The laser cutting machine was paid off over 4 years ago. I work from home.... my overheads are negligible. They collect right away and pay in 4-5 days. This is what I call money for jam - hell, I just slap the material on the laser now and then between other work.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    How can making a 2% profit be a viable business? Considering the risk of doing business, one could be bankrupt in a blink of an eye. Consider the risks of pilfering, theft, hijacking, stock deterioration or obsolescence, environmental disasters and to top it all, changes in the regulatory environment, as governments cannot be trusted.

If you work on an overdraft, you may have to sell your house to repay your creditors!
    One has to understand the type of business model you get into with this type of profit margin.
    This type of business is not suited for a manufacturing business or even a business in which you hold physical stock and have a brick and mortar business.

If you look at Takealot, they work on the same principle. They have no stock, they receive the order, get the bucks and collet the goods from the supplier and deliver.
    A very low risk business.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast