Thread: Tipping Etiquette

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Tipping Etiquette

I don't get it. My eldest daughter went to get ....yet another tattoo today. Now it seems that Tipping is a thing in the industry. They EXPECT people to tip them 20% on top of the FAT bill @ R600/hr

ARE THEY MAD

If they want to charge 20% more just stick it in the price and get on with it - why bugger around with the tipping nonsense. The tattoo artist is sour if you don't give them 20% - for what? - I don't tip the petrol attendant, the electrician, the plumber, the barber, the dentist etc...

I'm so tired of all this silly nonsense - If the restaurant want 10% more then put it in the bill - don't waste my time with your childish so-called "Etiquette" nonsense - PAY YOUR STAFF PROPERLY from the FINAL invoice!

I don't mind the price - add your 10% or 20% or whatever - JUST BUILD IT INTO THE INVOICE AND DON'T WASTE MY TIME with your sulking about a tip - your little lollipop given to you for doing your job.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It just dawned on my why tipping is such a big thing in many industries - BECAUSE IT IS UNDER THE COUNTER

This means that they don't pay tax on the income....yet I have to pay taxes.

The government promotes "tipping-like" industries such as the taxi industry - they pay no taxes. The only way for the government to make taxes out of the taxi industry is to raise the petrol price....which of course knocks on through the taxes of others.

The tipping thing is really just a big scam not to pay tax on income earned!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have customer who "tip" my staff ... I dont encourage it because it becomes a norm ... then when they dont get a "tip" ... they expect me to add a little something to the wages.

Like letting staff leave early when you finish a project ... and the next project is another big one (takes more than a couple hours to complete) you do it once you do it twice and suddenly every time you finish a project at 2 pm ... it expected that its home time ... so nip without a delay ... now we wash vehicles and clean tools and prepare for the following day.

Nobody arrives at 6 am to get the project going ... or is still working at 4.30 pm ... so now we work to the clock.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I hear you, however I do give tips at restaurants because they are handling my food, and I find that they recognise me when I come round the next time and I generally get good fast service.
    What I also do, if there is a special at a take away or restaurant, I give a tip to the original value, not the special offer price, after all the waiter still does the same irrespective of it being on special.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I have customer who "tip" my staff ... I dont encourage it because it becomes a norm ... then when they dont get a "tip" ... they expect me to add a little something to the wages.

Like letting staff leave early when you finish a project ... and the next project is another big one (takes more than a couple hours to complete) you do it once you do it twice and suddenly every time you finish a project at 2 pm ... it expected that its home time ... so nip without a delay ... now we wash vehicles and clean tools and prepare for the following day.

Nobody arrives at 6 am to get the project going ... or is still working at 4.30 pm ... so now we work to the clock.
    I agree 100% - Tipping is very bad practice as far as I am concerned. I also agree that once you relax rules just a little bit people "vat-gat" and expect "gat-vatting" to be the norm. Companies should invoice properly so that they can pay their staff properly and nobody should expect anything off the books. The problem with tipping off the books is that the staff start to sell stuff under the table - I knew a guy that ran his own shop out the back of a big electronics shop in Cape Town years back. I knew the owner personally and I whispered in his ear to keep a very good eye on the employee. Seems the employee would do his own "special deliveries" out the back of the delivery bakkie and got caught.

"Private job" is the correct term. My daughter just had her car serviced by a buddy. I demanded an invoice and that the service book be filled in - seems that he did the job "off the books" and wasn't happy about my request.
    He did end up declaring the wrrk to the boss so that I got what I requested.

I keep saying- I don't mind paying a fair price - just don't operate under the table and make me out to be the bad guy if I am not game for your shenanigans.

Thanks
    Tipping is great.l

I always tip.

Derek