Thread: Win 10 disables Sound to force updates

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Win 10 disables Sound to force updates

hi Everyone just a heads up,
    Time stamp 25 Oct 2021

i placed a time stamp on this post because i think a lot of you that is trying to avoid the Win 11 update will run into this problem.

On my second office computer that uses Skype we noticed that we had no sound. Now Win 10 updates are paused because the back office runs on LTE only. So basically i got a complaint that the sound is off and they cannot hear the others over Skype.

I went into device manager and upon trying to "update" the driver it took me to the Win10 update screen and the message said i need to update windows to update the driver.

At this point in time i did not take screen shots because i didn't think about it at that point in time. We where in a hurry to talk to to the people on Skype.

After the Win10 update that took over 4Gb of data the computer restarted and about 30min in the sound magically started to work again.

Just another low blow from Microsoft to force customers into updates. It is truly sickening.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

2. Thanks given for this post:

New Perspective studio (06-Nov-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I never allow windows to update itself. The last update caused way too many problems.

Avast are another bunch of clowns. I always disable the network card with a little utility at night before I go to sleep - I resent being woken up at 2am because Windows restarts the machine for its Idiot-Updates. So every now and then Avast claims to have installed updates overnight .... how - via telepathy.....they are truly a bunch of chancers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thing is i tried Linux many times and yea it is a lot better but fundamentally flawed when it comes to basic support for simple pieces of software. They offer alternatives but in the end Windows always win. That said as i sold of most of my equipment and is closing down many aspects of my business i realize that industrial hardware has a fundamental flaw when it comes to software support.

The world wants computers in our cars, hearts and even a toaster. The problem is once the software gets so resource heavy. Now your car can't handle the update and it simply becomes unusable many of its functions bricked.

In the end ARM should be the future and not X86 and beyond.

Why? Because of compatibility. Here is a the truth and again any IT person can read this and go fact check. IF all software is written in Java and can run on ARM that would be a nice start. IF we can now add opensource java code into the mix that be great because now we can keep the toaster running by getting a developer to update and maintain function. BUT because software is behind an iron wall of copyright and all that stuff, we get hardware that can only run on WinXP SP1 32Bit version. Or Windows 95 and that that is it. We cannot pay someone to redevelop the software because cost. We cannot get the code to modify because copyright.

But i think the future is ARM because then we can rebuild that app to do that job and maintain it. That is why thousands of old businesses refuse to move away from platforms like Java. Android is really nice because the GUI are really nice and really easy to modify. Yes Kotlin is a thing with Android now but Java Android will not go away "again the investment into development was simply to big it will take years to change if at all"

So i grabbed a nice i5 installed Android OS for PC on it and yea it works. It doesn't work very well but it works. So i am using it now. Lets see where it goes.

Point is Windows will soon go the way of the dodo, Linux and Apple will be around along with Android and i think once this happen IT will be a better place. Windows is over complicated, resource heavy and unreliable bigger point is the software limitations as the OS upgrade pieces of software stops to work. That is a big deal and one i think cannot be fixed by Microsoft.

it is late i am tired sorry if this post is cryptic.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I find that trying to work with different devices becomes a nightmare ... I have a netbook with XP (for fluke test equipment) ... a laptop with windows 10 (which has too many issue) which updates literally everyday ... an iphone 5 which is just a backup phone for when the Iphone se has issues (it has a lot ... just got it back from a repair again) ... an old ipad mini (is useless other than using it as a kindle ... I dont read books).

I think its time to dump the lot and get 2 devices ... a phone and a tablet.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I find that trying to work with different devices becomes a nightmare ... I have a netbook with XP (for fluke test equipment) ... a laptop with windows 10 (which has too many issue) which updates literally everyday ... an iphone 5 which is just a backup phone for when the Iphone se has issues (it has a lot ... just got it back from a repair again) ... an old ipad mini (is useless other than using it as a kindle ... I dont read books).

I think its time to dump the lot and get 2 devices ... a phone and a tablet.
    What makes Apple a nightmare for Microsoft is the fact that a user can port work between devices. Sadly this comes at a cost as Apple tends to be a premium product that demands premium price and cannot be easily repaired one out of warranty. For this reason i decided to get rid of a lot of trouble by creating my own solution.

A year ago now i rented out a server with KVM support, loaded Win10Pro on it. I then can log into the server with my phone tablet or old laptop. Once logged into my server i had my email set up so that i can do all my Word and Excel on it using Office 365. Since all my docs was stored on my outlook i was able to push it to another email "as backup" i then loaded my other software i used on the server and it worked really well. I had all i need running from my tablet that was logged in to the server via browser. Yes my internet had to be good but to be honest a 25mb up and 25mb down line works well with this setup. Now i pushed all my files i generated on the server to my email and backup email. they where not very big but if they did get bigger there are options.

At the end of that year i didn't renew the subscription because i did what i wanted to do. So i wiped my server a month before canceling the subscription leaving nothing behind and changing all my passwords "just because".

So the result was, i had a fully functional and very powerful server on my phone running Win10Pro. I was able to do all my work from my devices and was able to jump devices whenever and it just worked.

So in future this will be my solution again. This way it doesn't matter what device i own as long as it can handle good WiFi connection and a proper browser i am good to go. Basically it did not matter what OS i had running and for the most part the old laptop worked really well as it only had to process the browser. All the work happened on the server and it was really fast. Now this is not for everyone but it worked and it worked well enough. Yes if the Wifi messes up there is a problem if the server is down there is a problem and so on. BUT as a test it worked.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Talking about updates and devices ... man these network providers know how to make money ... you have a device at home which you pay a fee ...you have a device at work which you pay a fee ... then you have a phone with sim card .. .then a tablet with a sim card.

When I upgrade everything to 2 devices ... I need to find a way to cut back on all the sim cards ... adsl and fibre fees.

Telkom has a system which sort of works ... I have an ADSL line with a backup sim (which I use for data while out on the road) so that saves loading data bundles while away from the office ... then you can get a telkom sim card for the you and your employees ... and that gives you free telkom to telkom calls ... I havent used telkom for so long ... It would be interesting to see if they have improved their coverage.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Talking about updates and devices ... man these network providers know how to make money ... you have a device at home which you pay a fee ...you have a device at work which you pay a fee ... then you have a phone with sim card .. .then a tablet with a sim card.

When I upgrade everything to 2 devices ... I need to find a way to cut back on all the sim cards ... adsl and fibre fees.

Telkom has a system which sort of works ... I have an ADSL line with a backup sim (which I use for data while out on the road) so that saves loading data bundles while away from the office ... then you can get a telkom sim card for the you and your employees ... and that gives you free telkom to telkom calls ... I havent used telkom for so long ... It would be interesting to see if they have improved their coverage.
    I had the same problem but not anymore.

Here is what i did. I got myself a LTE mobile router. They are small and can live in my pocket and it keeps a good charge. Now i load that router with a prepaid data bundle. Cell C is giving a good deal right now. Now my phone can use that internet, my tablet can use that internet and my laptop can use the same net. This means i only pay for 1 Sim card essentially. At home i have a land line and all my devices are serviced. Now my phone does have its on SIM obviously to make calls and stuff and i do keep loaded with a Watsapp data bundle and some air time for calls but other then that this just works. Those mobile routers give a good range and can easily recharge while i drive so in all i never had trouble with this setup.

In short 2 prepaid SIMs and 1 landline "fibre line" i normally buy my phones cash but do insure them for obvious reasons but yea in total all my cost is really low.

You can buy a unlocked LTE mobile router for about R600 to R800 and just run prepaid on it. That way you don't have a contract that is ready to bite you.

** edit ** my Cell C mobile router current speed. As you can see it is near fibre speeds and it works well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell c.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	8341
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I used a small pocket ZTE router for a period of time ... I had a telkom sim card ... it was handy because I can use it to setup up the CCTV ... alarms and smart lights and devices ... thanks to the WPS function ... however I forgot to put the router in the cooler bag one day and the heat fried the battery ... I have since had the battery replaced for a small fee ... but the battery company didnt do a good job ... the back cover doesnt clip into place anymore.

Telkom use to be cheap however ... coverage sucks when you move around like I do ... MTN has proved to be the best for coverage most areas in SA and I see they are the cheapest for data bundles at the moment.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Telkom roaming does seem to be messed up now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell c.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	8342

This is what i use right now when i am not at home.
    peace is a state of mind