Thread: Alarm systems

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Alarm systems

A few common problem I am experiencing with alarm systems :

Your change armed response company and they offer a free alarm ... the installer doesnt have to time to strip the old system ... much like the COC's they make up the extra bucks with the add ons ... R20 000 for a few sensors and a an expander if you lucky is not uncommon ... not a big deal ?

They use the keypad to program the system ... not a big deal.

They reconnect the old wires to the new panel ... not a big deal ?

They dont replace the old system transformer ... not a big deal ?

You decide to get a highly recommended alarm technician to upgrade your alarm to a better system ... with wireless detectors and wireless remote receivers ... an app to control the system ... adds remotes to arm and disarm the system using the zones ... and a whole list of other things ... not a big deal ?

They are actually big deals.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What is the big deal:

I have been taking over all the services on the sites I work ... electrical installation/rewires/factory relocations/machine maintenance and repairs ...domestic / commercial and industrial ... panel design and construction ... thermal scanning ... load profiling and power quality analysing ... alarm systems ... CCTV ... networks cabling ... the lot.

When you start scratching in other services you realise the electrical industry is not that bad ... yet.

An example customer opens a ticket for a faulty door magnet and low battery issues ... while on site I check the door mag ... 3 wires stacked on top of each other 2 cut and one working ... 3 wires running back to the control panel ... we start pulling out the wiring not in use ... 2 days later hundreds of meters of wires ... wireless receivers ... PIR's ... expanders ... you name it all connected to the system but not in use.

I download the event log and we find that the system is experiencing issues with overloading ... battery draining too quickly due to the old equipment still being connected to the 12 V outputs ... once all the wiring and old equipment was removed ... there was no need to replace the battery or add in a seperate power supply and battery for the peripherals.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A customer complains about the alarm activating for no reason ... a quick event download ... imagine that ... the most common problem identified ... someone pressing the panic button by mistake or holding one of the buttons for longer than 3 seconds ... which activates a panic.

While on the note about holding buttons on remotes for longer than 3 seconds ... you need to understand the functions of long presses on remote buttons ... they do all sorts of funny things depending on the brand and time you hold the button ... so when the gate doesnt open when you press and hold the button ... in some cases it is carrying out another function ... IE panic on an IDS alarm.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    In some cases it is not a big deal if you replace your alarm and dont replace the 16 VAC transformer 50 meters away from the panel ... under the bed in the room of the other side of the house covered in dust and a blanket so there is absolutely no ventilation ... but the housing is black from overheating due to the lack of ventilation or overloading because it is too small for the new system.

If you have a simple 8 channel alarm with 4 PIRS and 4 door mags ... there shouldnt be any issues.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My best so far is still the CCTV installation ... its seems to be ok ... considering it ha been working for a couple years ... connecting 4 cameras to each pin on a 5 amp power supply (power outputs with 4 plugs) so you have a total of 16 cameras connected to 1 "brick".

The other issue which I am told is not required ... not crimping the the little pin in the RJ 59 co ax connector ... yet if you move the DVR ... half the pictures disappear.

Then you get the cat 5 tin copper brigade with the 100m run split with 1 camera per twisted pair including the power.

Ok time to get back to work.