View Poll Results: Should SA have early general elections?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Yes - the sooner the better.

8 30.77%
  • No - 2009 is close enough.

9 34.62%
  • Doesn't matter - nothing is going to change anyway.

9 34.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should SA have an early general election?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Should SA have an early general election?

Reading the news and commentary on Thabo Mbeki's State of the Nation address to parliament yesterday, it seems clear that we have something of a hiatus in the balance of power just at a time when we seem to need decisive action.

So - Do we need an early election to get the country back on track?

Thanks
    I feel a bit divided about this. Actually I believe an early election is a good idea, atm Thabo Mbeki has little power and JZ is pulling the strings with Thabo taking the risks. On the other hand the longer JZ stays out of government the better the chances that his court case can be completed so he can start fresh when the election does take place (If he is innocent, that is). Whilst that hangs over his head I certainly will not trust him. There are several issues with him that worries me.
    • Shabir Shaik was found guilty because of his generally corrupt relationship with Zuma
    • The fact that he fought the NPA on every issue to prevent them from obtaining the information from Mauritius
    • The fact that he is clearly behind the disbanding of the Scorpions and THAT to me is bordering admission of guilt
    • The fact that he still sings his freedom song, I just cannot see a president in a democratic healing country with an AK47 on his side
    • His comments he made during his rape case. (He can say sorry as much as he like, but he certainly is no child that can behave like a idiot and then say sorry to make it go away. He is supposed to be a sensible leader)
    • The fact that he constantly seems to have some financial problems despite having everything going for him.

The fact however remains, we are clearly in shambles atm, and without a doubt there are major problems with the current government to deliver or fix what they messed up. There is no confidence and everyone is blindly awaiting the new ANC to take over and make drastic changes.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It seems the JZ factor is the joker in this pack. Ordinarily I'd have thought this poll would be quite lopsided otherwise.

My thought is that on current form, the JZ court case looks unlikely to be wrapped up before he is due to be appointed SA President anyway.

Thanks
    I think about the issue from the perspective of what creates the most stability for the country, and in specific the economy. With our current energy issues, and the JZ factor hanging in the background, it seems like challenging the cabinet right now would just create a atmosphere of uncertainty for all South Africans. It would also paralyse the political world and launch mass marketing campaigns.

I'd rather see the politicians focussing on getting results and winning the next election based on that. The current political wrangling doesn't seem to achieve much other than generate a lot of hot air.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Which party will win the next election ANC. There is no viable opposition yet. So an early election will solve the two centres of power but not much else. Until we get an opposition that can win we are wasting our time.
    Why does the US and UK work so well, my opinion is because they have viable opposition parties that can and come into power.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I had a very interesting discussion with a domestic worker today. It seems that there is a fairly substantial move in their community because the ANC elected JZ as president. She says there is a lot of unhappiness amongst ANC supporters because of the way Thabo Mbeki is conducting himself and the fact that JZ was elected president of the ANC. The main cause for unhappiness is that the ANC hasn't delivered what they promised and they certainly do not feel that JZ will do so once he becomes president. They are getting poorer and poorer and the fat cats are living in luxury. She said that life in the Old SA was much better and safer. It was an interesting discussion indeed and a real eye opener for me. Something that wasn't said but I could pick it up, was the exact point Ian mentioned in his post, who else to vote for, they do not trust any other political parties enough to give them their votes...

Although I do not expect the ANC to loose the next election, I certainly expect that their winning margin will shrink considerably.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is something I'm hearing too.

Folks are disillusioned with the ANC, but rather than cast their vote elsewhere, all that means is they won't vote at all.

Ultimately, it seems that no other party has managed to capture their trust.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I do not see what good an early election will do. Why are the DA asking for it?
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    I do not see what good an early election will do. Why are the DA asking for it?
    Because they can't wait for JZ to be our State President

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Because they can't wait for JZ to be our State President
    Maybe Helen Zille is hoping to be his seventh wife?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast