Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electricity/water disconnections

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Electricity/water disconnections

As of the 1 September 2021 ... the president of SA has notified all municipalities that they can start disconnecting you services with immediate effect.

I was told by the private contractor that the list is so long he will be making an absolute fortune with the amount of disconnects ... thanks to the council not reading my meter for so long the actual reading is in the tens of thousands.

Looks like we will not be given the benefit of writing off our bills like Eskom did for people of Soweto.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It will be cheaper for me to install a full PV system than pay my electricity account.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The municipality will turn your water off to a trickle....They've done it to me a couple of times. You then get nailed with a fat fee when they turn it back on. My electricity is on a meter so if I don't pay for electricity I live in the dark!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I applied for a pre paid meter years ago ... I am still waiting ... I think they dont like installing pre paid in side of the world ... because then they cant cut your electricity.

It seems many people are going to get home to a nasty surprise ... the contractor said he has hundreds of disconnection to do over the next fews days.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    In my suburb, the DBs no longer lock. My neighbour noticed that combined with a stupidly high bill, his meter carried on turning even though he switched his supply off.

They pitched up to disconnect his electricity and he showed them the problem. They left and instead pitched up the next day with a member of the Red Ants. When my wife took a photo of their unmarked vehicle and my neighbour and his brother in law (two traditionally large dudes) proceeded to explain what would happen to them if the continued along that path they thought better of it.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    The municipality will turn your water off to a trickle....They've done it to me a couple of times. You then get nailed with a fat fee when they turn it back on. My electricity is on a meter so if I don't pay for electricity I live in the dark!
    In my neck of the woods, RWB have already reduced the water pressure by 20% .... to the municipality. The wonderful municipality owes RWB more than R3 billion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I applied for a pre paid meter years ago ... I am still waiting ... I think they dont like installing pre paid in side of the world ... because then they cant cut your electricity.

It seems many people are going to get home to a nasty surprise ... the contractor said he has hundreds of disconnection to do over the next fews days.
    It is not legal to cut off your electricity if you have already paid for it ( prepaid ) so the Munic, instead of cutting your electricity, they just block the meter so that you cannot buy more when the existing units run out and the meter shuts off. It's actually simpler and cheaper than having a contractor physically go and cut and reconnect.

Peace out .. Derek.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This drive by the council to cut water and electricity from the people in the suburbs might just be what will break people ... I had no option but to go and beg to try get the power switched back on today.

Trying to settle a R58 000.00 account with the council is no easy task ... they dont give shyte ... the power is off until the 25 % is paid up and only then will they negotiate a settlement.

Today I can understand why a person would go into the garage ... close all the windows and doors start the engine and drift off into a deep sleep ... my policies are up to date and the family would be a lot better off financially without me.

I would need to find a smaller garage ... my garage is too big ... by the time I drift off the vehicle would already be out of fuel ...knowing my luck ... I would forget to close a window

Thank goodness all the other shyte like the bond ... the overdrafts and credit cards are all sorted out.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Trying to settle a R58 000.00 account with the council is no easy task ... they dont give shyte ... the power is off until the 25 % is paid up and only then will they negotiate a settlement.tter off financially without me.
    I am really surprised that they let it go that far. Here in Cape Town if your water is 3 months overdue they cut you off. You can then go and negotiate but you still end up paying huge fees to clear it up.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Today I can understand why a person would go into the garage ... close all the windows and doors start the engine and drift off into a deep sleep ... my policies are up to date and the family would be a lot better off financially without me.
    Ag nonsense - treat it as just another annoying problem to sort out - It took my accountants 7 months to sort our taxes out and it cost quite a bit. Its just life... if it isn't one thing its another.

Never let money get you down! - Ian - Its k@k and I know how it feels but the bottom line is that it is just an annoyance - don't get depressed - say after me "FxCK THEM" and then make a plan.

...and besides...no policies will pay out if you do yourself in! The greedy insurance companies will eat all your payments!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast