Thread: APPS and more apps and more remotes

Diamond Member
    Thanks

APPS and more apps and more remotes

As per the title ... as I venture further down the IoT so the apps and remotes grow and grow ... to a point that we are now having to label the remotes for each controller so that they dont get mixed up.

It time to start moving forward and find ways to integrate all the devices ... I know systems have been around since about 2009 ... one of the guys grabbed the bull by the horns and ran with it ... but for most people it was more a toy for people who had more money than they needed.

Its a pity someone didnt force all companies to follow some form protocol so that we could at least have a universal remote which could be programmed to operate any smart device ... if anything it would reduce the plastic waste ... I already have a box of remotes ready for the bin ... every light comes with a remote ... I not going to mention names ... but if you buy a bulb it comes with a remote ... if you buy a strip light it comes with a remote .... if you buy a flood light it comes with a remote and non of them are compatible with each other.

You install a device for the geyser it requires and app ... if you install and alarm system it requires another app ... if you install a cctv system it requires and app ... then you fit a smart lamp and it requires another app ... the scary part about all these apps they are all digging into your privacy ... I know you dont have to allow them access to your location ... your camera and mic and contacts ... but really ... all the info is going via a server in the far east (we all know how they control and monitor EVERYTHING) ... you are required to add your password for your network ... then in most cases they want your location and everything else ... people install cameras in their house and to make it even worse they leave their password as admin admin or whatever or the device default password ... scratch around on the WWW and you will see how easy it is to hack into people systems if the passwords are not changed ... the reality is no matter how secure you think you might be ... there will always be someone who can access your network ... so long as you dont become person of interest or use words which are flagged ... you shouldnt become a POI.

Anyway back to the title........

I need to find an API to start integrating systems ... I started looking into Schneider products and integration ... that was a fail ... I tried contacting them ... I even setup up an user account ... still nothing ... its like dealing with Landys and GYr ... no technical support for the little guys ... so I have been looking at Siemens products ... they have a few interesting components ... like the Logo and IoT 2040 ... which has all the industrial certifications ... I know home assistant and Pi's and stuff are great ... but targeted more for the DIY and developer.

The Siemens devices can integrate the DIY products ...however the certification is no longer valid if you add DIY devices.

I have also looked into Hager Coviva ... but free training cost R7500 ... I will pass for now thanks ... you would think people would offer free training to encourage people to invest in your product ( if you know of free training for Hager ...pls drop me a PM or share so that other can learn)

New to all this smart stuff etc ... feel free to correct or point me in the right direction.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am starting to understand how MQTT and node red and the IoT works ... the more I learn the more interesting it gets.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    One of the most common words used when discussing the transition from old school to smart tech ... "limitations"

The challenge is simple ... finding a solutions which can overcome the limitations ... or is it?

Lots of DIY projects and solutions ... certified systems still come at a premium price ... in the old days the starting figue was R10K ... 20121 ... you need to find R30K + just to buy a certified hub ... then we only start with the components required to link to the HUB.

I know there is Alexa and google ... home kit etc ... but you need control modules to operate and control devices.

Thanks
    Check out something open source like home assistant, still a lot of PT and learning curve is quite steep. But I'm enjoying it and gradually making my house smarter

https://www.home-assistant.io/