Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scruits

Silver Member
    Thanks

Scruits

I don't usually do CoC's for anyone elses work other than my own installs but I have been roped into CoC for a family house as they are selling.
    Wiring is not bad but are scruits (crappy porcelain thing that twists the cables together) still acceptable.
    I never have and never will use the crappy things.
    Would if thought they would have made solid conductors brittle and more likely to snap.

Do I have to pass these horrible things?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi
    We have had the discussion over screwits in the workshop and to us it appears to tick all the boxes to be acceptable if the correct size is used
    I have never seen a hot connection when the correct sizes is used and it is installed correctly - dont twist wires , allow screwit to do the twist.

With that said - I will not issue a COC for friends or family - I will do an inspection , carry out the repairs and then ask the family member to make contact with another contractor to carry out an inspection and issue of coc.

The minute they, new owner , finds out that family or friend has done COC you end up having to answer all sorts of insignificant questions,queries and threats over legal action because something appears wrong.
    I have the T shirt , avoid actually issuing the COC.

6.3.7 Joints and terminations
    6.3.7.1 Joints and terminations of cables, cores and conductors shall be
    made in accordance with manufacturers' instructions or the appropriate part
    of SANS 10198.
    Flexible cables shall only be joined using termination boxes, cable couplers or
    manufacturers’ jointing kits.
    All joints shall be accessible, protected against strain, and protected in
    accordance with 5.2.1, except for joints made and sealed permanently and
    intended to be maintenance free.
    6.3.7.2 Joints and terminations shall not
    a) adversely affect the current-carrying capacity, the insulation resist-ance or
    the earth continuity of the cable, core or conductor in which they are made,
    b) be made in any connector, bend, elbow or tee-piece of a conduit,
    c) allow the strands of a stranded conductor to spread, or
    d) require strands of a stranded conductor to be cut away to allow connection
    of the conductors (for example, to terminals).

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Do screwits have SANS or some form of certification ?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    "protected against strain". Twisted copper is brittle - and can snap. Sure manufacturers of car would not suggest twisting solid copper. And besides - pulling a twisted connection and it.... untwists.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    From years and years of experience using screwits ... I found the best method of installing them is twist the copper wire together and some of the pvc ... them cut off the top bit of copper wire so that the screwits holds the wire tight ... if the scewits doesn't tighten ... either you have not cut the back the copper enough or selected the incorrect size ... then wrap it with 3M or nitto tape ... not plastic tape ... it a messy business when you have to remove the tape and its all sticky.

I have never had a fault due to a loose connection using a screwit.

If anything should be illegal ... it should be connector blocks ... I have been to investigations where fires have totally gutted a kitchen ... outbuilding and caused many other minor fires due to loose connection ... and that is a fact not hear say.

unless some form of ferrule is used in many cases the incorrect size connector is used which result in either the wire going t the side of the screw or the screw has been over tightened and broken strands off the wire resulting in termination failure.

But the best one is still the twisted earth wires with no form of securing the twisted wires ... i suppose people feel if you twist them enough times they dont need to be secured.

I hardly ever use connectors or screwits anymore ... 99 % of my connections are done using the helcon push in connectors ... I have learnt from experience ... it doesn't pay to use house wire with these connectors ... once installed it is very difficult to remove ... however solid core wires only require 2 or 3 turns out ... saving lots of money.

In the past I would fit a central junction box then spread out from the central point ... now I tend to series wire so that there are only 2 wires at a junction.

I use these type of connectors on most projects ...you the junction boxes.

https://www.hellermanntyton.co.za/pr...cp-2/911-01804

I buy these by the box ... very handy when you know the termination requires maintenance or parts which might need to be replaced.

https://www.wago.com/global/electric...connectors/221

These are the best for lights and fans etc ... I know they cost a lot more ... but man do they save time ... time is money.

https://www.wago.com/global/installa...ctor/p/224-101
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I haven't had time to search the regs but I'm sure I remember they're explicitly forbidden for use on earth wires (CPC's) because you can disconnect them without use of a tool.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I haven't had time to search the regs but I'm sure I remember they're explicitly forbidden for use on earth wires (CPC's) because you can disconnect them without use of a tool.
    Knew i had read something somewhere.

I usually use helicons. Maybe more expensive but time saved they are worth it.

If I'm feeling dicadant - Wago's

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Andy maybe this post from 2010?

6.3.7 Joints and terminations
    6.3.7.1 Joints and terminations of cables, cores and conductors shall be
    made in accordance with manufacturers' instructions or the
    appropriate part of SANS 10198. Flexible cables shall only be joined
    using cable couplers or manufacturers' jointing kits. All joints shall be accessible, protected against strain, and protected in accordance
    with 5.1.1, except for joints made and sealed permanently and intended
    to be maintenance free. Amdt 1; amdt 3; amdt 4; amdt 5

5.1.1 Live parts
    It shall not be possible to touch any live part within arm's reach with the
    standard test finger (see SANS 60529/IEC 60529) Amdt 5
    a) during normal operation, or
    b) when a cover is removed, unless the cover is removed with the use of
    a tool or a key.

The way i see it, you can remove a screw cap (porcelain midget) without tools, and 6.3.7 specifically refers to 5.1.1

The joint is also not protected against strain, as it can be separated quite easily at times. (depends on what day the screw connector was made )

What really bothers me is that you do need a tool to get into the roof in the first place.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is the strain on cables is supposed to be taken by the electrical enclosure of the joint and not at the joint itself. An example of how this is achieved is a junction box with glands taking the strain at the cable's entry points into the box.

The screwit's purpose is to apply pressure on the joint between conductors to secure and ensure electrical connectivity only.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    anyone manage to find the SANS regs for screwits ?

the ones which state they are SANS approved for the use in electrical installations ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.