Thread: Led strip lights

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Led strip lights

Suddenly literally every project I am busy with has an LED strip light application.

What choices do you have .. .the list is long

These are a few of the different types I have worked with over the past few months ... with a lot of challenges.

From 12 VDC - 24 VDC - 230 VDC

Various IP ratings IP 20 - IP 65 - IP 67 - IP 68

and a few colour variations ... red - green - blue and RGB and RGB/W

Selecting the right one for the right job becomes quite a challenge ... even if the so called pros are called in (we learnt the hard way it turned into an absolute headache trying to fit the strips)

It is not as simple as buy a 12 VDC strip light and sticking it to the wall ... it could be if just want a bit of ambient light under a counter.

It starts getting a little more complicated as you start exploring the options

Before you even start you need to understand the type of environment they will be installed ...

Will they get wet ?

Are they going to be installed in a specific zone ... IE close water ... like a pond or water feature maybe even around the lip of a pool.

If the strip light is 230 volt IP 68 rated ... why cant you install it around the lip of the pool ... or can you ... can you not just use a 230/230 V isolating transformer like one used for a shaver unit ... you need to understand the SANS 10142-1 ed 3 regs before you start sticking lights in places which could create a really dangerous environment or not ... Make sure that if your pool company is going to fit lights in or around your pool that they are suitably qualified.

You need to take the cut length into consideration ... some strip light can be cut as close as 30 mm ... others can only be cut at 1 M intervals.

Then you need to take into consideration corners or shapes ... do you install a neo flexx type strip on a straight run ... it is possible ... but who would be that stupid.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Then there is the watts per meter ... 4.8 W/M - 9.6 W/M - 14.4 W/M ... considering that in most cases ... it will be used as ambient light ... there might be places that you want it to be really bright ... like below a cabinet for a counter.

Aluminum profiles can used as an option rather than sticking the strip light to the wall or cabinet directly.

There are slim profiles for strips mounted under cabinets or out of direct view ... deep profiles or dot less as they are sometimes referred to ... and even corner profiles.

I have only seen opal covers ... but I am sure you can get clear covers.

the LED driver is something that will also require consideration ... there is quite a selection of drivers ... 12 and 24 volt ... IP 20 or IP 67 rated drivers.

The higher the voltage the lower the current ... so using a 12 volt strip light for a long run might not be the best option.

If a longer run that 5 metres is required it might be a better option to go with a 24 v strip.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just when you thought that is all you need to consider ... then we could go into control.

Dimming the strip lights or controlling them from a remote or an app on your phone or voice using a hub.

You can dim the strips ... change the colour and create scenes or flash the lights etc.

Just when you thought I was finished ... there are also individually addressable LEDS on a strip ... which can be programed using programable device.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Still battling to find a WiFi product to use with the LED strip lights ... as I scratch deeper into MQTT and node red ...hopefully I will come up with a solution.

I managed to find a unit which seems to be working for now ... Miboxer ...I have figued out how to link it using smart life (which I am currently using to link other devices like the CBI ASC and Pioled lamps etc)

What I do like about this product - The remote feels like a quality product ... but more important ... you can link and unlink controllers ... so you only need 1 remote ... it pays to read the instruction manual ... something many of us dont bother with

https://www.futlight.com/light/xqy/ls2.html