Thread: standby generators

Suspended
    Thanks

standby generators

can someone please send me details of a company which is selling SABS approved standby generators...and a complete sabs approved standards for standby generators...as i only have the guide lines and SABS 7.12 which do not clearly indicate the correct proceedure as to how a stabndby generator should be connected...with details about were the supply should be connected before or after the main isolator...where the AMF panel should be installed and where the ATS panel should be installed....how to connect into the main DB if an additonal essential/standby DB is not used...and you dont want the entire DB to be fed from the generator?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    how to connect into the main DB if an additonal essential/standby DB is not used...and you dont want the entire DB to be fed from the generator?
    Murdock, if you're passing by my neck of the woods, feel free to stop by and see how we've done it on our own premises.

We can compare notes on the regulatory issues and maybe come up with something reasonably definitive. I'd also love to have someone outside of the company pass a critical eye over the way we've rigged it.

We've also done a full factory backup generator install - a fully automated 250 amp 3 phase deal. Perhaps we can chew the fat over that one too.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i am just interested because i read an article in the highway mail "DEATH SPARKS CITY GENERATOR ALERT"...and this article indicates that you have to get a COC and the genarators has to be SABS approved...so i contacted the company which has their product CHOICE POWER om display but unfortunately they cannot give me their SABS spec sheet nor a COC because their are no regulations only guide lines for generators...i unfortunately will not issue a COC for any generators i install because in fact you cannot... unless you have a SABS approval for the generator and ATS panel...when you fill in the section which asked is the installation including all the components comply with SANS 0142 how can you fill in yes??? most of the imported ATS panels are not SABS approved in fact not one i has seen since this whole fiasco started.

4. Thanks given for this post:

ericlowry (09-Nov-12)

Thanks
    When doing the cabling for a standby genset including the changeover panel, would it be OK to sign off on the wiring and to exclude the genset unit?
    E

Thanks
    If you are happy to certify that you connected "non-SANS aproved" equipment to the installation, by all means feel free to go right ahead.