Thread: Prescription and Debt Counselling Clearance Certificate.

Thanks

Prescription and Debt Counselling Clearance Certificate.

Hi. I've been under Debt Counselling in 2014 and in 2015 I received a notice saying that services were suspended due to non-payment(which was no fault of mine). They then remained the Debt Counsellors on record for the sole purpose of issuing my clearance certificate.

I managed to pay off all my debt this year and when I contacted the debt counselor in question, they say to me that I cannot get my clearance certificate as I haven't paid off all my accounts. Those creditors have not contacted me since before Debt Counselling and the last payments made were in 2015 via the Debt Counselling process...

I also contacted NCR and they said I should ask for Prescription Letters. But how do I know if these debts are not written off instead? I've also contacted most credit bureaus and none of them have those accounts listed... So are these accounts prescribed and should I contact the creditors in question for Prescription Letters?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    May I ask if this is Telkom?

I've seen many many posts on Facebook in the past month of people being harassed by Telkom out of the blue.

Thanks
    No it's not Telkom.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarona View Post
    I also contacted NCR and they said I should ask for Prescription Letters. But how do I know if these debts are not written off instead?
    How the creditor has dealt with the debt in their financial accounts doesn't materially affect the legal status of the debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarona View Post
    So are these accounts prescribed and should I contact the creditors in question for Prescription Letters?
    The short answer is the debts may well have prescribed and yes - get the letters from the creditors in order to cut through the administrative deadlock you find yourself in getting a clearance certificate from your debt counsellor on record.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    How the creditor has dealt with the debt in their financial accounts doesn't materially affect the legal status of the debt.

The short answer is the debts may well have prescribed and yes - get the letters from the creditors in order to cut through the administrative deadlock you find yourself in getting a clearance certificate from your debt counsellor on record.
    Thank you for your response. I've tried contacting most of my creditors with no help forthcoming. So I went directly to NCR and managed to get most of my prescription letters. Just one last letter and then I'm done!

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-May-22)