Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durban in shutdown today

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Durban in shutdown today

Coming into work this morning in Durban, the roads were as quiet as the first few days of lockdown early April 2020.

Amazing how nearly everyone decided that today is a good day to stay at home.

My staff calling in are all saying nothing is moving and it looks too risky to travel.
    I reckon a lot of businesses are going to be closed. I certainly don't expect any of my service teams to be doing any work today.

To be plain, what I am seeing is not sympathy for the cause of Jacob Zuma, but fear.
    Frustrating that the call to shut down KZN is succeeding by the look of things. But it is.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It was like that yesterday afternoon ... I got a message to head home in the morning ... but decided to stay at work ... at 5 pm when I drove home the roads were quiet.

I can hear the freeway from my house ... not one truck since early this morning ... a few cars ... but as you mentioned it reminds me of the early days of lockdown ... what a pleasure to get out and get stuff done without all the traffic.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Durban and PMB are burning. JHB is burning. Reported more than R100m of damage caused in KZN. Trucks burned on the N3 This is orchestrated terrorism and should be treated as such. Or do we have to wait until this terrorism escalates as it did in Northern Mozambique?
    Where are the security forces? Where is their intelligence? Surely someone is instigating this violence. Why were they not prepared for this?

This proves that this dysfunctional government is unable to protect its citizens. So how can they even think of banning guns for self-protection?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just watched the Caltex Garage near to my office get looted. Plain theft. Nothing more or less.

Marshall Security turned up en masse real quick (like two minutes) and put a stop to it.
    An hour later and still no sign of police.
    Something of a stand-off between the garage owner and some vultures sitting on the railway line opposite waiting for a chance at a second bite.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    All I see is shyte loads of work for us ... as the buildings burn so the demand for tradesmen increases

A well executed plan ... it is clever the way they put fear into the people ... making them sitting ducks at home ... who are sitting at home wishing they hadnt handed in their firearms ... like a hand gun is going to help

With everyone sitting at home ... messages are being shared like wild fire ... that you should barricade your house make a safe room and board up the windows ... the roads and cities are empty creating easy targets for the looters ... they are having an absolute field day.

Insurance companies are smiling all the way to the bank as riot cover is being requested for vehicles and property ... no riot cover no insurance ... so for those who think shame poor insurance companies ... I am sure they will find a clause.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The president is going to talk about the violence on National Media at 20:00 this evening.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The reality is phase 1 ... create a food shortage ... is already in play.

All the major food suppliers are closed around our area ... I drove 10 km and no one store open.

There are small corner cafes open ... by lunch time they will be empty.

Something else I noted on my trip ... petrol stations ... most are closed but the ones which are open have que over km long ... by the end of today all those garages will be empty.

I suppose once all the stores have been looted and empty ... phase 2 will kick in ... water supply.

Thanks
    Yes here too. Vehicles lining up for fuel and our local Woolworths was very busy for a Tuesday morning. My husband's company has grounded their fleet of 50 vehicles until situation improves. We are hoping more than 2500 soldiers will be deployed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    DBN North community stood together last night with security companies to keep looters and terrs out of our suburbs. Roads were blocked off and thanks to the vigilance of these guys we were safe and would be looters turned around.

This morning SAPS LT Col Lombaard closed all shops to prevent these unwanted elements to come shopping or filling up fuel in our areas. Reported that many arrests were made for unlicensed arms and unregistered vehicles. He wants the roads to be open for emergency vehicles to move freely if required. Asked for patience for a day or two and arranged for WhatsApp and on-line orders from shops. Took full responsibility for his actions.

Well Sir, you have my support. At least you are looking after your community and are not absent like most of government.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast