Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Which sport is more popular in SA - Rugby or Cricket?

  1. #11
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    6,328
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 977 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    When I was at school, soccer players were regarded as sissies. My opinion has not changed much, seeing that soccer is such a dangerous sport that players fall down in agony when an opposing player just frown at them. Rugby appears to be a much safer sport where players take the tackles and put their bodies on the line for their team without crying about it.
    @Douglas Lees - Today I will teach you a truly South African saying: "JaWellNoFine" - I will translate this into 14 year old teenage girl speak: "Whatever"

  2. #12
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Southeast England
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    @Douglas Lees - Today I will teach you a truly South African saying: "JaWellNoFine" - I will translate this into 14 year old teenage girl speak: "Whatever"
    Thanks for that - I like it! May I point out that the comment about Soccer was from @Blurock!

  3. #13
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    6,328
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 977 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Lees View Post
    Thanks for that - I like it! May I point out that the comment about Soccer was from @Blurock!
    It was yes, I know. I am using the opportunity to teach you the colloquial phrase that I would use to respond to his "witty" comment :-)

  4. #14
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Southeast England
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    When I was at school, soccer players were regarded as sissies. My opinion has not changed much, seeing that soccer is such a dangerous sport that players fall down in agony when an opposing player just frown at them. Rugby appears to be a much safer sport where players take the tackles and put their bodies on the line for their team without crying about it.
    I don’t recall that attitude to Soccer at school because it wasn’t a school activity! My university was quite traditional as well and Rugby featured much more prominently. Soccer has become extremely corporate and bureaucratic; it is caught up in the ‘health and safety’ culture and has fewer genuine links with local communities. Rugby League in the North of England still has a strong community base and (although I am familiar with Rugby Union instead) I admire it for that.

  5. #15
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Southeast England
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    It was yes, I know. I am using the opportunity to teach you the colloquial phrase that I would use to respond to his "witty" comment :-)
    I’m glad you realised that and I like the saying. Re. the Ja syllable - is the ‘j’ sounded as a ‘y’ to English ears, i.e. ‘ya’ rather than ‘ja’?

  6. #16
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    6,328
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 977 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Lees View Post
    I’m glad you realised that and I like the saying. Re. the Ja syllable - is the ‘j’ sounded as a ‘y’ to English ears, i.e. ‘ya’ rather than ‘ja’?
    Correct, 'ja' sounds like the 'ya' in 'yaght' NOT 'ja' as in 'jam'

  7. #17
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Southeast England
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Correct, 'ja' sounds like the 'ya' in 'yaght' NOT 'ja' as in 'jam'
    That’s what I thought!

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I always thought football is much more popular in here. I noticed my friends talk about them much more than cricket or soccerr

  9. #19
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    22,697
    Thanks
    3,315
    Thanked 2,682 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    I always thought football is much more popular in here. I noticed my friends talk about them much more than cricket or soccerr
    The difference between football and soccer being...?

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The difference between football and soccer being...?
    Football is the generic name of all those sport which require the use of the foot and ball to score goals.

    There are different types of football games like Association football, Australian football, Rugby, Gridiron football and Gaelic football. Soccer is the name given to association football.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rugby anyone?
    By Catz in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-Feb-12, 11:10 AM
  2. Cricket Anyone...
    By BusNavig8 in forum Entrepreneurship and Business Management Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Feb-12, 09:12 AM
  3. IPL cricket tickets
    By Morticia in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-May-09, 06:33 PM
  4. Aussie cricket bans Mexican wave
    By Dave A in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-Feb-07, 09:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •