Thread: POPIA

Bronze Member
    Thanks

POPIA

Hi all

I may be a little late with this but my understanding is that small businesses do not need to have a POPI manual, if you have less than 50 employees and turnover below a certain figure depending on industry.

What I am not sure about is whether all businesses need to have a registered Information Officer registered with the regulator. From what I have read its seems so, but please confirm for me.

Thanks
    Kavesh

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure about the comment made, but I do know that POPI applies to everyone, including individuals.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Hi Kavesh,

My understanding is that all businesses that “process” (collect, use, manage, store, share, destroy and the like) any personal information relating to a “data subject” (suppliers, customers, members, employees and so on – whether individuals or “juristic persons” such as corporates and the like), must register an Information Officer with the regulator.

POPIA - unlike PAIA (the Promotion of Access to Information Act) - doesn’t require you to have a POPIA manual in place but in larger businesses it is certainly a good idea to prepare one.
    However you should certainly have a privacy policy in place. Make sure that everyone in your organisation is aware of it and of how critical it is to comply with it at all times.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Seems I will have to register as the information officer then....sigh..

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I was sent a media release with regards to registering as the information officer and it appears to have been extended due to glitches in the system.

POPIA ACT UPDATE:
    THE INFORMATION REGULATOR
    MEDIA STATEMENT

NO DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION OF INFORMATION OFFICERS (IO) AND DEPUTY INFORMATION OFFICERS (DIO)

Dear Member,

Developments ahead of enforcement powers coming into effect

The Information Regulator has confirmed that there will be no deadline for registration of Information officers (IO) and Deputy Information Officers (DIO); this means that no responsible party will be held liable for not registering by 30 June 2021. This decision follows technical glitches with the registration portal and numerous concerns raised by responsible parties regarding the registration process. Please note that The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) enforcement powers as promulgated by the President of South Africa in June 2020 will still be coming into effect as of the 1 July 2021.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL MEDIA STATEMENT

Media Statement issued by the Information Regulator South Africa
    POPIA ACT UPDATE:
    THE INFORMATION REGULATOR
    MEDIA STATEMENT

6. Thanks given for this post:

kavesh (28-Jun-21)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.