Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad blocker

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Ad blocker

I reset my Google account .. .which removed my ad blockers ... OH crap ... how do people handle all the Ads ... i didnt realize this platform was so riddled with ads ... I opened it today and had to try seperate the ads from the content

Its like watching youtube on the TV ... my goodness ... some say but the youtuber generates and income from the ads ... the way I understood it ... youtube is a free service ... for people to share content not bombard viewers with crap every 2 minutes.

loading ads ... which are now up to 10 seconds before you can skip and some you cant even skip anymore.

Then they advertise and give another 2 minutes of advertise their channel ... then either run and ad 10 times during the video and now some of them even do the ads themself and promote themself.

Sorry mate I never ever clip on an ad ... time to reload all the ad blockers ... you dont wan me to watch your free content feel free to block me as some who have got smart do.

Any suggestion on good ad blockers ... I had ad block and ad block plus ... which seem to work fine.

I am also looking for one for my android player connected to the TV ... other wise I plan to use a old laptop connected to the TV so I can load ad blockers.

YOu know how people get al worked up about social media and school bullies ... being bullied with shyte I dont want to watch is just as bad if not worse.

It like people who add you to a group then within 5 minutes the spam starts on your phone ... because call centre people have got smart.

Dont you wonder about all the info you share on those covid forms ... I dont give my ID number and use a number from a sim card in my office draw ... so its not the wrong number ... just not installed in device.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I need to dig around and find how Google Ads are being activated for logged in members. The intent was always to ensure logged in members had pretty close to an ad free experience. The exception was a related content area at the bottom of any thread... which was useful at the time I implemented it.

My experience of late is there are ads for a couple of page views and then it stops happening - and although not as intended, it wasn't particularly annoying (at least one I got past the first two to three pages / transitions). So it didn't rate a high priority on my to-do list.

But if the intrusive behaviour carries on for others past those first few pages, I had better bump it up as something to attend to pretty soon

Let me know - just a few pages and then the ads die off - or does it remain pretty insistent beyond the first few pages?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was running ad block and ad block plus ... there were no ads.

Now I have to first clear the ads to get to the forum and once on the page the ads take up more space than the content

Someone was showing me an article on his PC ... he is not running any ad blocks ... I dont know how he surfs the web with all that crap popping up ... it would drive me nuts.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have mentioned it before. I have ad blockers but obviously google and microsoft know how to manipulate things.
    Ads are covering content and is a nuisance to scroll by.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I must say that I have not seen and Ads when I log into the forum.
    If I do use the forum as a guest, then I see the ADs.

I use Fire Fox, and have loaded an Adblock recommended by FF.
    Couldn't handle the adverts flashing everywhere on my page.
    In the old days it was all this extra post added in the postbox, but since we have progressed, so have the adverts.

I must say that I am avoiding Youtube, because of the continuous advert breaks during the viewing of any content.
    Its getting out of hand.
    There is no such a thing as a free lunch, just a gazillion adverts banging at you while you are in the zone.

I am surprised that viewers do not get epileptic fits with all the flashing adverts
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I run multiple ad blockers and stuff and I don't see any ads anywhere ever on my desktop. I see an occasional ad on Youtube on Android but that will end soon too.

I run a tool on my desktop that even allows me to block out annoying aspects of websites - I hate large scrolling banners and they get blocked out quick quick.

I don't get Facebook ads in Firefox either. I never use Facebook on android or the Youtube app - Android apps are ad magnets - avoid them, if you want to use things like Facebook or Youtube on Android do so from a safe browser.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I logged in this morning ... I have scroll down slowly to to figue out which content and which is ads

I will wait till I load an ad block before I visit again ... I am looking at install Pi-hole at my router.

Thanks
    I use Firefox and have used Adblock Plus for some time now. I have found it to be pretty effective. I certainly don't see any ads on The ForumSA.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This morning I logged in and voila! No ads! I did not do anything.
    Dave, if you have made any adjustments, thank you very much!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have just added adblock plus ... now I can see the content

Youtube is back.

Pi-hole still sounds like a good idea for both the smart TV and the little black box which makes my other TV smart.

I cant handle the bullying ... having to wait 10 seconds for the video to play ... I see they have got smart with the in video ads ... you could slide past them ... now as slide it still pops up the video

IF you want to become a million on Youtube then setup a subscription fee like patreon and let people who want to make you rich pay for new Telsa sport or new house ... be like the clever guys put links to product you constantly promoting on the channel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.