All morning meetings and it seems we finally have the solution ...

If like me you belong to the CYA club ... this is the procedure.

As a customer -

If you buy a small generator from Makro ... Builders or any other small generator supplier ... they are controlled by section 10 of the OSHACT.

You need to make sure that if you request to purchase a generator to connect to the electrical installation of your house ... you must make them aware of the fact and get it in writing ... that the unit sold to you is suitable for the application ... if any modifications to the unit are required ... it is also noted in writing.

As a contractor supplying the generator ... you need to be aware of section 10 of the OSHACT

I have 2 things to complete before handing over the generator

Labels.... labels labels and more labels ... a very import notice to be attached to the change over DB ... "THIS SOCKET IS NOT SUITABLE FOR VOV GENERATORS" ... The reason you need to fit the notice ... if the property is sold or the tenant moves out and takes his generator with him ... then the new tenant or owner must be aware the setup ... the earht spike and N-E bonding is done in the changeover DB.

An earth spike in the ground directly below the changeover DB with a 6 mm earth wire connected to the mains earth.

Something to note ... In my case the generator is not being installed as a fixed unit to supply the house ... it will still be a mobile unit which can be moved around and used for its intended purpose ... ie you can plug in a drill for example ... NO E-N bonding on the generator.

Because the unit is mobile ... a trailing cable is used (not standard cabtyre .. for additional protection) ... the earth spike is not attached to the generator ... the reason for this is because the customer might forget to hook up the earth spike when moved into position ... instead the earth spike is installed directly to the changeover DB and connected directly to the earth pin on the wall socket.

DONT BE A DOOS ... I have just been to site where the generator installer has fitted a male coupler to the trailing cable fitted on the generator and the female on the wall feeding the DB ... I cant wait to see the COC they issued ( I will bet my company turnover this month ... there is no COC ) ... more interesting photos to add to my collection.