Thread: Small generator connection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Small generator connection

So many calls from desperate customers ...wanting to connect a small genrator to the house.

NO VOV GENERATORS CAN BE CONNECTED TO THE HOUSE DIRECTLY.

So I came up with a solution which I beleive is the safest way to do it without rewiring the entire house and fitting dedicated and non dedicated supplies.

This is how I have wired my own house.

Drilled a hole into the bottom of my meter ... installed 2 x 25 mm adaptors with a short piece of 25 mm sprag (this must be sealed if out in the weather)

Mounted a 12 way IP 67 DB.

The DB is fitted with an idicator light to shows the mains power is on ... a 63 A changeover switch (the meter has a 60 amp breaker)

16 mm wires from the meter to the top of the changeover switch.

16 mm wires from the bottom of the changeover switch back into the meter box which are joined to the house wires feeding the main DB using ferruls.

A 32 amp wall mounted male plug top is installed belew the changeover DB (fitted with a cap when not in use)

4 mm wires feeding from the plug into the changeover DB to the doublew pole 32 amp geyser combo type breaker/ isolator then from the combo to the generator input on the changeover switch... the neutral wire is bonded at the input side of the combo breaker/isolator to the main earth with an indicator light mounted next to the changeover switch to indicate when the genertor is feeding power ... there is also a voltmeter and 100 amp panel meter mounted on the side of the changeover panel for the customer to monitor the load draw from the house ... so that he can choose which circuits he wants to power.

The generator (8 kva) has 10 m of 4 mm trailing cable (for extra protection) connected directly to the 30 amp breaker mounted in the generator via a compression gland with a 32 amp female plug coupler at the other end ... I didnt fit a 32 amp socket outlet on the generator because during the last load shed ... the vibration from the generator caused the plug to eventually fall out ... causing a few issues.

I cant think of a safer easier way to do this ... without it becoming a massive cost to customers.

It is a manual changeover and circuits in the house must be isolated to prevent overloading ... which can be monitored by the current meter mounted on the side of the changeover panel.

We will be upgrading the main DB soon ... ther ewill be a voltmeter and ammete rattached to the front so easy power management.
    Last edited by ians; 14-Jun-21 at 10:26 AM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.