Thread: Electrical equipment pricing

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Electrical equipment pricing

Soemething to consider before rushing out to the electrical wholesaler.

An example ... at the electrical wholesaler I buy CBI ASC for just under R500 inc ...builders R 349 inc

1.5 mm house wire just under R400 per roll 100 m builders ... R375 inc vat

J1 boxes for the cheap crap box R84 ... builders R70 inc vat

I pay cash for everything ... so my options are open ... if you have an account you might be stuck buying through the wholesaler.

In some cases buying directly from places like AC/DC ... even though I have a cash account it is still sometimes cheaper to buy via the wholesaler.

If like most contractors ... you dont give a crap because the customer is paying ... and charge customer the list price plus 25 % before your discount ... then shopping around isnt worth the time wasted ... I just like to look after my customers ... they stick with me for many many years.

Maybe this is a tip for contractors who want to be around for more than 5 years ... dont use your customers as cash cows to milk all the time.
    Last edited by ians; 02-Jun-21 at 06:12 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Those prices seem a little crazy.

Make friends with your wholesaler, open an account and get better discounts.

On small jobs I don't worry about a few rands differnce but on a bit job - the wholesaler can help you make you a tidy profit.

I always try and supply my customers with an item for the price they would pay for it if they went to the wholesalers themselves.

I obviously get better discounts than they do so I'm still able to sell to them for good price and make a fair mark up.

With prices soaring like they are at the moment getting good prices has become more important.

I'm surprised people still goto ACDC. I (and a lot of the guys who work up in Joburg) call them the "last resort".

If you can't get it anywhere else then only then do you consider going to ACDC.

I find a lot of there stuff a bit crappy and try and take something back when it fails.....

Say good bye to your day.

Where you based Ians?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have to agree on the AC/DC comment ... I have had a few returns ... aboslute rubbish quality.

Yip and the returns AC/DC take a few months ... I found taking the product back and swopping ti works better ... which reminds me I have a credit with them ... nobody beats MCE ... still waiting for the refund.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.