Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To ZA-plug or not

Silver Member
    Thanks

To ZA-plug or not

Good Day
    I don't have a sans edition 3 YET but the confusion on the ZA plug continue to rule the day

From what I understand from the grapevine is that all new sockets installed after May must make provision for a ZA plug

My question is what about workshops and single socket outlets 4x2 size

Greetings
    Thys Fourie

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hello

from my understanding is that on a new circuit, eg. Renovation or addition. At least one socket outlet within that new circuit must be the new euro ZA socket thing. As for the 2x4 I will dig deeper as currently studying to do P2 as passed P1 on the installation rules. If plausible and a possible solution, if you are doing a renovation, find a 4x4 on the same circuit and make it the euro ZA socket.

Thinking further as I type, if it is a few outlets, making one of the outlets the Euro socket and then then the rest the 3-prong.

One of the more esteemed and time served gents may be able to add more light and correct me if wrong but I do hope I have been of some help

Have a great evening.

Cheers
    Dyl.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

The ZA plug , or commonly referred to as Euro, was needed at each socket outlet point in ED2 from Jan 2018.

ED2 Reg pasted below - Sans 164-2 is the Euro and Sans 164-1 is what we know as normal socket

Sans 10142-1 Ed2
    6.15.1.1.1 Except where otherwise specified in this part of SANS 10142,
    single-phase socket-outlets for general use (see also 6.14.1.4) shall
    a) be of the two-pole and earthing contact type,
    b) comply with SANS 164-0,
    c) effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical
    installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the
    dimensions of SANS 164-2.
    Socket-outlets points may also include
    socket-outlets complying with the dimentions of SANS 164-1.

In Ed3 they changed the requirement slightly - The regulation is the same but the note allows sockets side by side on the same circuit to be one outlet point.This helped on powerskirting and other odd places in an inductrial or commercial set up.
    It is not often in a domestic set up that you would have sockets side by side .

Sans 10142-1 ED3
    6.15.1.1.1 Except where otherwise specified in this part of SANS 10142,
    single-phase socket-outlets for general use (see also 6.14.1.4) shall
    a) be of the two-pole and earthing contact type,
    b) comply with SANS 164-0 and
    c) for new electrical installations each socket-outlet point shall include at least
    one socket-outlet complying with the dimensions of SANS 164-2. Socketoutlet
    points may also include socket-outlets complying with the
    dimensions of SANS 164-1 in addition to SANS 164-2 socket-outlet.
    NOTE Where socket-outlets are installed on the same circuit side by side, this
    configuration could be considered one outlet point.

The only people causing the confusion are electrical contractors who do not read the regulations.
    The regulations refer to socket outlet POINTS not CIRCUIT
    Since Jan 2018 every socket installed should have had a Euro.
    From Jan 2018 the demand for " normal " double sockets should have been close to zero.
    You get the format in 4x2 if you exclude the switch- It is not a requirement to have a switch on a socket outlet.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If you replace a double socket outlet ... do you have to replace it with the new type socket ?

If all new installations must have a ZA socket ... why are double sockets still avaialbe to buy?

I have just installed 17 Double socket outlets in my kitchen ... I will be replacing one with a euro type for charging my phone (in fact it will be one with 3 euro plugs ... to charge the phone ... the tablet and the garmin device) ... I dont has a use for 17 euro sockets in my kitchen ... every device in my kitchen comes standard with a 15 amp socket outlet ... I cant see myself cutting off 15 amp sockets to install 2 pin plug tops

Just imagine my toaster ... washing machine ... tumble drier ... kettle ... microwave ... fridge ... stove ... coffee machine etc with 2 pin plug tops ... I am going to say it again ... of all the dumb regulations over the years ... this one gets the cream and cherry on top.

who ever feels I am being unreasonable ... please free to supply the 2 pin plug tops and the cost for an electrician to come replace them on all my appliances ... would you really be that stupid and run your tumble drier off one of these dodgey 2 pin plug tops for sale ... even the new 15 amp plug tops are only rated to 3 amps (if you look carefully at the hollow ones).

Behind the TV ... well that is another story ... I would need to install 15 outlets to accomodate all the 2 pins for the TV ... DVR ... Speaker sytem ... router ... etc etc.

Feel free to educate me on why it is a safety issue ... extender plugs come with both thermal overload and surge protection ... I dont see surge protection or thermal protection on these 2 pin ZA plugs?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you replace a double socket outlet ... do you have to replace it with the new type socket ?
    It has been a grey area in my eyes but the general acceptance has been you can replace in an existing installation like for like

If all new installations must have a ZA socket ... why are double sockets still avaialbe to buy?
    Supply and demand - as long as people are buying them they will manufacture them - They are not illegal , you just cannot issue a COC if you do a new installation and if you cant issue a COC then the work complete is basically deemed illegal

I have just installed 17 Double socket outlets in my kitchen ... I will be replacing one with a euro type for charging my phone (in fact it will be one with 3 euro plugs ... to charge the phone ... the tablet and the garmin device) ... I dont has a use for 17 euro sockets in my kitchen ... every device in my kitchen comes standard with a 15 amp socket outlet ... I cant see myself cutting off 15 amp sockets to install 2 pin plug tops

Just imagine my toaster ... washing machine ... tumble drier ... kettle ... microwave ... fridge ... stove ... coffee machine etc with 2 pin plug tops ... I am going to say it again ... of all the dumb regulations over the years ... this one gets the cream and cherry on top.
    The way I understood the plan was that all appliance will start swopping across to the new plug top - Already a fair amount of kitchen appliances are coming with Euro plug tops. We have installed extractor fans that came with euro plug tops

Feel free to educate me on why it is a safety issue ... extender plugs come with both thermal overload and surge protection ... I dont see surge protection or thermal protection on these 2 pin ZA plugs?

The dangerous bit is when people take out the old 16amp socket you can touch the pins while extracting the plug top and kids can get all sorts of bits pushed into the plug openings - the smaller euro pins make it less likely to shove something in and the recessed portion stops fingers from touching the pins on extraction.

It was not an overnight decision and was discussed and debated by all role players within the industry

Before the regulation was adopted it was put out for public comment - Did you lodge objections at that stage ?

6. Thanks given for this post:

Justloadit (01-Jun-21)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I think after all the debating the biggest problem is misinformation amongst the public,retailers and electricians.

The two pin pin plug is called the euro standard not sure of a better or correct name since it does mot have an earth pin. The Za plug have an earth and fit only one way in a socket. So Mr, Nel cant become something else unless wired wrongly

Greetings

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    "Before the regulation was adopted it was put out for public comment - Did you lodge objections at that stage ?"

Who does it get sent to?

I got a pile of regs out for public review ... for solar panels ... sent to me via email ( which tells me there a new book or amendments coming out soon ... thank goodenss I didnt go buy amendtment 3 ... Just when you thought your solar system was up to date ... best you get the "NEW" amendments.

New appliances with 16 amp 3 pin sockets come standard with a short piece of plastic to protect you from the issue you mentioned ... so that requirement seems a bit of a waste.

Then I am going to tell you that you can still buy the old type socket ... which if it is regarded as dangerous should not be allowed to be sold by legit wholesalers?

Now I am starting with my workshop ... I have 30 double socket oulets to install in the building ... not one of my machines is fitted with a euro plug ... nor a 15 amp plug top ... now what?

I will be installing 25 x shuko ... 5 x 16 amp double socket and 2 euro sockets ... and signing off the COC as safe ... common sense tells me that cutting off 16 amp plug tops and installing a cheap crap euor plug top which is not even brass ...some crap tinned material ... which will not only modify the original state of the equipment ... but also cause the warranty for the equipment to be no longer worht anything ... please feel free to educate this old fool ... I just dont see the logic in fitting 32 euro sockets and cutting all the plug tops off my machines.

Then I plan to install a pile of socket outlets in my storeroom ... there will be 12 euro euro sockets (the one with 6 euro sockets on a 4x4 grid plate ... and 2 x 16 amp socket outlets. The reason for all the euro ...because all my low powered charger have 2 pin plug tops.

Same with my office ther ewill be tons of euro plugs because literally everything in my office has a 2 pin plug top ... only 1 x 16 amp plug top for my alarm test rig ... not forgeting my laptops ... they all have 16 amp plug tops ... and no I dont plan on cutting off the 16 amp 3 pin plug tops ... same thing warranty become useless.

I am yet to buy a double with a euro socket ... anyone know the price comaprison?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    I think after all the debating the biggest problem is misinformation amongst the public,retailers and electricians.

The two pin pin plug is called the euro standard not sure of a better or correct name since it does mot have an earth pin. The Za plug have an earth and fit only one way in a socket. So Mr, Nel cant become something else unless wired wrongly

Greetings
    Yip then there is that issue ... "a standard" .. once you fit the ZA ... euro whatever they are called ... now you stuck with this plug top which only fits into a 3 pin of the same socket

A question which I might follow up on myslef today ... If I go to the local appliance shop ... am I gonna find all the new applicances with hte new ZA/euro plug top? Considering this rule has been in effec tsince 2018 (almost 4 years already) The kettle we bought 2 months ago has a moulded 16 amp 3 pin plug top the mixer has a ushuko plug top ... I am confused ... surely if the industry decides on a standard it should be rolled out across the country for everyone?

Excuse my ignorance but common sense tells me things just dont add up or I am still living in the 80s .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The easiest way round this issue, is to have a Euro to 3 pin plug adapter, then the problem is solved.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The easiest way round this issue, is to have a Euro to 3 pin plug adapter, then the problem is solved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast