Thread: Asbestos around PILC cable

Silver Member
    Thanks

Asbestos around PILC cable

Hi there

I have a cable which need to be removed from an old building. Its that PILC stuf from around mid 1950's.

Does anyone know if it was ever common practice to wrap the stuff in Asbestos?

We are quoting against another company for a large mains change and need to include the safe removal of it if it is the nasty stuff (not going to expose my guys to that stuff).

Advised the client to get it tested. It just looks suspicious.

We will most likely get the job anyways (as we are the clients prefered guys)

Does anyone know anywhere in Joburg, that they have used or can recommend, to test it if I take a sample.

My old work mate died from the stuff, was exposed a lot to it before it was know to be nasty, so I take no chances. Horrific way to go.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Never really thought much about asbestos ... have worked on many sites where the roof or ceiling is asbestos (the worse is drilling downlights in asbestos ceilings) ... then there was a comment about asbestos wire ... since then I have been taking note of the type of roof covering certain buildings where we work and ceilings.

I have also taken note of coughing and feeling crap from the "old dust" in certain buildings ... things start making sense.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Never really thought much about asbestos ... have worked on many sites where the roof or ceiling is asbestos (the worse is drilling downlights in asbestos ceilings)
    You'll only regret not taking it seriously once its to late.

Like I said, saw my work mate with asbestosis. Sure, he was fairly old, had worked around the stuff in the 70's but still not a nice way to go.

Suffered for over a year before he died

Found a place in Bryanston that tests for R420, results should be back Monday. For R420, why chance it. Then, at least, precaustions can be taken.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    And asbestos ceilings. The house I bought had them. Got them tested, came back as amosite - a nasty one. Thats whats in the ceiling you're drilling. (Google amosite)

I got suited and booted (proper respirators), sealed suit, taped up windows and doors, proper disposal methods, wrapped in plastics, industrial vacume with correct filters and disposed of at a tip which accepts asbestos and knows how to handle and dispose of it.