Thread: Charging lithium batteries

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Charging lithium batteries

I bought a victron 10 amp battery charger ... on special for around R2K ... I am busy expanding my test rig.

I am down to the battery backup and charging system ... many hours wasted watching videos and reading data on forums (just so time consuming filtering out the stuff you don’t need).

What I am looking for a bunch of cells to make a 12 volt battery (like the LIFEPO4 ... but it might be more cost effective to use 1855 cells) which has around 50 amp/hr capacity ... a decent BMS to manage the cells and a charger which can charge using the normal 230 VAC or switch to a solar power.

Until I can find a solution ... I plan to buy a 50 amp/hr lithium battery ... use the victron charger to charge the system ... I have figured out a way to bypass the 16 VAC input of the alarm system (which makes life a lot easier ... than trying to create 16 VAC) The POE switch is still a challenge ... but I am not concerned about a POE switch at this point ... everything else requires 12 VDC ... the router ... the alarm system ... the CCTV and the cameras (the CCTV package will require a bigger battery ... maybe a 100 amp/hr)

As an added feature ... I want to have a plug on the unit to accept a solar panel and charge controller ... so if I choose to use solar to charge the system on sunny days or if it is cloudy ... It might charge from the mains.

The system must run for at least 24 hrs with potential to expand to 36 or 48 hrs as the systems grows.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Do we buy a freedom-won or Blue nova ... Things to look out C rating 05 or 1

Di a search and found these batteries ... if you know of a cheaper or better battery at a more affrrodable price ... please share.

https://www.livestainable.co.za/prod...range-battery/

https://www.livestainable.co.za/prod...104wh-battery/
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Something I have learnt about the internet ... people who do reviews and get paid for positive feedback or are given products for free to offer positive feedback ... this has become a huge issue.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    From the data sheets, I would say that the Blue Nova is a better fit as a drop in replacement for Lead Acid.

What concerns me with the freedom-won is the following charge specifications -
    Quote Originally Posted by fredom-won
    Charge mode - CC at 0.2C to 14.6V, then at CV14.6V to charge current less than 0.02C
    This requires an intelligent charger, and is not suitable as a drop in replacement for existing charging systems designed for Lead Acid.
    In other words, it requires a 14.6V - Constant Current Charge at 20% of the battery capacity. When the battery voltage reaches this point, the charger then switches over to a Constant Voltage mode, and then ensures that the current is reduced to less 2% of the battery capacity.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

6. Thanks given for this post:

Andromeda (23-May-21)