Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Speakers

Thanks

5 Speakers

Guys I need help compiling a list of speakers based on the basic principles of business. I couldn't sleep last night (my mind was on a idea trip again) after having a meeting with one of my business friends.

Well through the past couple of years one thing I have always found astounding is how uninformed some business owners are. Well long story short. I am planning to have a Free 2 hour seminar each month, presented by at least 5 speakers with the main topic, "The 5 elements of business". It is based on the Traditional Japanese elements

Earth - Planning and organization
    Water - Motivation
    Wind - Human relations
    Fire - Public relations and marketing
    Void - Internet
    Consciousness - Awareness and business Philosophy

The idea is to invite business leaders, owners and senior management to attend these seminars for free and to become exposed to information they do not normally do in the business lives.

Obviously this is aimed at a foundation to market your own business as consultant/speaker but most of all, assisting business people and entrepreneurs to see outside the tunnel they are finding themselves in.

I also intend to perhaps make a blog live where these speakers/gurus/experts can publish articles and leave it open to comment.

So my question is this. Does this seem like a good idea to you? Who would you like to hear speaking about these topics? Are the 5 elements applicable to make a business a success?
    Last edited by Chatmaster; 03-Feb-08 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Left out marketing
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You've got me chewing now. Interesting.

I can think of two mainstream words that perhaps I'd expect to see in the collection - "strategy" and "discipline."

I hope it is such a success you'll be able to roll it out around the country one day.

Thanks
    I think that it's a great idea. I am in the process of doing something similar, but I'm not going to do it for free. There is a small fee to attend, just to cover cost.
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Email problem
    Thanks
    We have recently launched the Leadership Forum within the Pietermaritzburg Chamer of Business. The first gathering was held last year and the talk was on Ethics of Leadership and the speaker was Prof. Martin Prozesky. It was very well attended and very well received. We anticipate having one session a month and several topics have been identified by a steering committee helps send the forum in the right direction.
    I think that any type of investment in leadership and management is critical and will help alleviate the skills shortage that will end up driving the economy and give all of us better service levels.

Do it, don't get distracted, just write down what it is that you would like to achieve with the meetings and already you have stated goal that will drive your actions in the right direction !!!

Good luck and best wishes, just don't give up and talk to as many people about it as you can, the word will spread !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christob View Post
    The first gathering was held last year and the talk was on Ethics of Leadership...
    Ethics - Now there's a word I'm not hearing a lot of nowadays. Corruption seems to be the "in" culture

It must have been an interesting talk.

Vincent has a point about covering costs. How are you dealing with that, Chatmaster?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I think that it's a great idea. I am in the process of doing something similar, but I'm not going to do it for free. There is a small fee to attend, just to cover cost.
    That is where it becomes interesting. I am planning to cover costs in a very simple manner. There are several venues that has a capacity to take 100 people that would love to host such an evening for free. They benefit by publicity to business and if all goes well, some free press. It is worth allot more than they would have made for the evening charging us for it.

So if the speakers are willing to do it as a marketing exercise at no cost, there shouldn't be any costs applicable except maybe petrol. If there is then we simply ask for donations, I have seen it work before.

Vincent would you be interested in becoming a part of something like this?

Thanks
    Vincent would you be interested in becoming a part of something like this?
    I'd like to participate. Any exposure is worthwhile.
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Alright, I just setup a venue for the idea. It is Northriding, Randburg and it is free. A 250 seater, and they will even provide snacks for after the seminar. We will get everything on the house, data projector and other normal stuff as well. This going to be absolutely worthwhile. Vincent, you can expect a phonecall from me

Email problem
    Thanks
    Roelof, it sounds like a great idea. I would definitely like to get involved. Regarding the topic of the internet, I would suggest you talk to Ramon Thomas. I've listened to him a couple of times and it was really good. You can visit his wesite at www.netucation.co.za
    If you want to visit my blog, go to www.fridayfeeling.co.za

Thanks
    I am familiar with Ramon Thomas but have never heard him speak before. Thanks for the suggestion Derik!
    At this point myself and Vincent are working on the concept and I booked the venue for the 7th of March. The owner of the venue also suggested that we do this on a monthly basis and we will make use of different speakers every time. I will definitely add both of you to the list.
    BTW, the name has changed to "The pillars of business" with 3 speakers per event speaking for 40mins each plus a Q&A session for each. It will also be a networking event for everyone and I am sure that it will be a success. It helps allot having a pro like Vincent involved, lol!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast