Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you apply new "Edition 3" regs?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Even if they have the full library of historical regs and standards, do they read them and are fully conversant with them. My proposed solution to the problems this causes is this clause in SANS 10142-1 is deleted:

The edition of the standard that was applicable at the date of erection of an
    electrical installation is to be considered the edition defining the
    requirements applicable to that particular electrical installation.

In the interests of safety and sanity I suggest the standard applicable should be the standard as at the date of issue of the COC.
    It would be the big cheese moment (back when I started this business if I got a big job and got paid for it ... we would include a big cheese in the monthly shopping) for electricians if you could get that right.

The entire system needs to be revamped ... it is an outdated system which doesnt work ... it shows in the state of electrical installations.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Even if they have the full library of historical regs and standards, do they read them and are fully conversant with them. My proposed solution to the problems this causes is this clause in SANS 10142-1 is deleted:

The edition of the standard that was applicable at the date of erection of an
    electrical installation is to be considered the edition defining the
    requirements applicable to that particular electrical installation.

In the interests of safety and sanity I suggest the standard applicable should be the standard as at the date of issue of the COC.
    I don't agree with your statement of removing the clause
    It could become a problem in a shopping centre where the design was done and completed in the 1980's and you now want it to comply to today's earthing standards , type tested DB's , cable routes not through other shops etc

It will create problems if removed

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    I don't agree with your statement of removing the clause
    It could become a problem in a shopping centre where the design was done and completed in the 1980's and you now want it to comply to today's earthing standards , type tested DB's , cable routes not through other shops etc

It will create problems if removed
    I suggest it is creating massive problems as it stands and we have to find a better way.

How on earth is any new entrant to the role of IE and MIE going to be conversant with all these different historical standards?
    Is there any concerted effort to ensure that new IE's have this knowledge if it is a requirement of their trade?

How is this issue treated in other parts of the world?

ps. It's a proposal. The objective is to engage and see if we can find a better solution to the challenge before us

Thanks
    Tomorrow I am doing a coc.
    Place was built 3 years ago.
    I am thinking what if plugs are still old school type without euro?
    Do I tell seller I need to change every single plug. Will tell me to get lost.
    What date EXACTLY did these plugs come into effect?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    With regards to the date it came into effect - it could be close to the 3 years depending on when the contractor signed the contract to carry out the electrical installation.

In a Townhouse complex or development of an area it could be an extra couple of years prior , if that makes sense

Extract pasted below

Hopefully you are not signing off a new build in Fairview or Parson vlei as the socket outlets will be the least of your problems

Because this part of SANS 10142 is continually updated, problems can arise
    on which version of the standard will be applicable when a contract is
    signed. The date of approval of the latest revision or amendment of this part
    of SANS 10142 will be the implementation date of the revision or the
    amendment. The applicable version of this part of SANS 10142 is the one
    with the latest implementation date before the contract date
    . So contracts
    signed before the approval of an amendment shall be carried out in
    accordance with the provisions of the unamended standard. If an existing
    installation is extended or altered, such extension or alteration shall comply
    with the provisions of this part of SANS 10142 that were applicable at the
    time of the erection of the extension or alteration

This document was approved for publication in March 2017.
    This document supersedes SANS 10142-1:2012 (edition 1.8).
    Compliance with this document cannot confer immunity from legal
    obligations.
    The test report in edition 1.8 may be used in parallel with the test report in
    edition 2.0 for a period of 12 months from the date of publication of edition

6.15.1.1.1 Except where otherwise specified in this part of SANS 10142,
    single-phase socket-outlets for general use (see also 6.14.1.4) shall
    a) be of the two-pole and earthing contact type,
    b) comply with SANS 164-0,
    c) effective from January 2018 all socket-outlet points for new electrical
    installations shall include at least one socket-outlet complying with the
    dimensions of SANS 164-2. Socket-outlets points may also include
    socket-outlets complying with the dimentions of SANS 164-1.

Thanks
    The Ridge estate, Westbrook, Morningside.
    Back of Westering area.

I know the workmanship in the Fairview / Parsonsvlei builds. Terrible is understatement.
    Saw three 2.5mm T/E forced through a 20mm knockout in a metal DB.
    Insulating chaffed to nothing.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Tomorrow I am doing a coc.
    Place was built 3 years ago.
    I am thinking what if plugs are still old school type without euro?
    Do I tell seller I need to change every single plug. Will tell me to get lost.
    What date EXACTLY did these plugs come into effect?
    Of all the ridiculous rule I have seen come and go in the past 40 years ... this one tops them all ... next they gonna tell someone has bought shares in smart switches ...so you gonna be forced to install smart switches

Like the orange welding plug ... I am just gonna smile and nod.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Of all the ridiculous rule I have seen come and go in the past 40 years ... this one tops them all ... next they gonna tell someone has bought shares in smart switches ...so you gonna be forced to install smart switches

Like the orange welding plug ... I am just gonna smile and nod.
    If you have a look around we are the only country in the world with the 16Amp 3 pin socket that we know as normal
    The socket has serious safety problems due to the size of the pins and kids being able to insert objects and also because as you remove the socket you can touch the earth pin and live pin while they are still connected , especially smaller hands like kids .

The rest of the world is also trying to change to the 3 pin Euro from a safety and standardization point of view

It is becoming almost standard on the majority of contracts we work on to include USB socket outlets - The world is changing , we need to adapt with it.

Remember SA was one of the first countries to start insisting on Earth Leakage units which has now almost become a worldwide standard - We are not always a backward country

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    If you have a look around we are the only country in the world with the 16Amp 3 pin socket that we know as normal
    The socket has serious safety problems due to the size of the pins and kids being able to insert objects and also because as you remove the socket you can touch the earth pin and live pin while they are still connected , especially smaller hands like kids .

The rest of the world is also trying to change to the 3 pin Euro from a safety and standardization point of view

It is becoming almost standard on the majority of contracts we work on to include USB socket outlets - The world is changing , we need to adapt with it.

Remember SA was one of the first countries to start insisting on Earth Leakage units which has now almost become a worldwide standard - We are not always a backward country
    Having a euro and a standard 16 amp socket side by side poses half the risk ...compared to 2 x 16 amp standard socket outlets ... isnt that why we have earth leakage on our socket outlets ... and par tof the inspection report is checking shutters on socket outlets ... for safety ?

I watched a customer knock out the plastic piece of the red plugs ... I can only shake my head and smile.

Earth leakage protection ... I am all for it 100 % ...but making a customer instal a euro socket nex tto a standard socket ... mmm not convinced its for safety reasons.

If you have small kids and no protective covers over the low sockets ... there is a good chance you have acupboard below the sink full of dangerous chemicals ... so you are not too concerned about your kids safety

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12