Thread: Lets talk about machines

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Lets talk about machines

What do I use ... Bosch ... makita and Hilti.

All make a quality product (just Hilti has a shyte service team ... from my experience) ... and each have better machine for specific applications.

lets start with the bosch ... the 10.8 volt range (now a 12 v range) ... is the most used equipment in my business ... everyday I use my little boch machines and have been doing so for many many years ... at one point I had 7 bosch machines running 18 hours a day rotating 20 batteries ... we were strippping and assembling plates ... removing and replacing hundreds of allen key screws ( not electrical ... but hey when work is quiet and you being paid R 4K a day)

I carry 1 machine (a bosch 10.8 v ...no longer available ... for removing and fitting screws) in my everyday tool kit and 4 machines ( 2 x GDR impact drivers and 2 x GSB drilling machines) in my van.

The little bosch impact driver is flippen strong ... but the makita impact driver wins hands down for power and comfort ... the makita is well balanced ... I use it with the small 1.5 amp battery ... I have 10 spare batteries so it is no big deal that thet need to be replaced often.

I bought the hilti 22 volt impact driver because my site trailer has mostly Hilti machine for site work ... both the 22 and 36 Volt machines ... but compared to the makita ... it doesnt stand a chase ... so I returned it ... I am looking at upgrading my site trailer machines.

In the past HIlti have always been my go to machine for concrete work ... but after using using a few makita machines ... I found the makita chipper which I have been using for the past 11 years doesnt get as hot as the Hilti chipper ... so we can use it for longer without having to swop machines ... it got serviced the other day ... repacking the grease seems to make it sound sound different ...at least I get to watch the guys servicing the machine and see they do the job properly and without have to outlay R200 for courier fees.

I use to carry the TE7 in my van ...because it has a vacuum attachement which clips onto the machine ... but found the 36 volt battery was a bit heavy for quick in out jobbing type work ... so it moved to the site trailer ... then went for a service ..................... lets move on ... If anyone is looking for a TE7A ... I have one for sale complete with 2 x 3.9 amp 36 volt batteries (hardly used) a vacuum attachment and a keyless chuck ...R 12k for the lot send a PM ... recently been serviced ... they do a brillant job ...ask GCE

Anyway I bought a T6 22 volt Hilti machine a couple years ago ... unfortunately it doesnt have the vacuum attachment ...these attachments make life so much easier ... so I have to carry masking tape and a box to catch the dust.

The hammer action on the TE 7 is way better then the old TE 6 ... the old TE6 is more like using a normal drill on hammer compared to the TE7.
    Last edited by ians; 16-May-21 at 11:08 AM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Our dustless chasing and chipping setup (brick and concrete) bought at the same time many years ago.

Makita ... All these machines are still supported by makita service ... no R200 courier fee.

1 x vacuum ... not suitable for heavy duty ... all day chasing ...even with the correct filteration ... best for wood chips and wood dust.
    2 x double blade dustless grinders ... the best dustless chaser .. I have 2 because these machine cannot run continuosly for the entire day ...so as the machine warms up I alternate ... the blades run i the right direction allowing the weight of the machine to cut down the wall.
    1 x SDS plus chipping machine ... this machine can run for days non stop ... it is nice and light ... I use the Hilti narrow flat chiesel ... no need to sharpen it and it last forever.

Hitli (by the way all these machine other than the TE7 ... are still in operating and used for domestic comercial and industrial appliactions ... but have to be dumped once the brushes are worn ... unless I can find someone to servcie them)

1 x vacuum VC 40 (no longer supplied or supported by Hilti) best vaccuum for dustless brick and concrete chasing ... not so great for wood chips and wood dust.

1 x 230 grinder with a dust hood ... (no longer supported by Hilti)( a lot of dust until the blade is buried) ... can swop the head for pushing and pulling while cutting ... this is important for chasing when chasing walls ... the machine must let the weight of the machine do the work down the wall ... but when chasing floors ... you must push the machine not pull the machine.

1 x TE 55 ... (no longer supplied or supported by Hilti) for drilling big holes and chipping ... not ideal for shipping the machine runs too hot ... I got a rep to demo a new machine ... we compared it to a new TE 60 ... we drilled 20 x 28 mm holes through a conrete deck on site ... the TE55 was 5 seconds slower ... I saved my self R 20 k and still using the TE55.

1X flat hand chiesel ... (no longer supplied by Hilti) like every good product HIlti make ... you cannot get these hand chiesels in SA anymore ... I still have mine and still use it litterly every day ... its the best chiesel for removing the pieces left in the wall after chasing.

1x TE 16M ... just another discontinued machine ... but still works and ideal for electrical contractors ... for when you need to fush mount a plug or light switch ... We mark the wall and drill a series of holes ... then use the thin flat chiesel to clean out the brick ... secure the box to the wall and hardly any patching required ... the only bummer is it is corded. The TE7A does the same and more ...because it has a vacuum attachement which clips onto the machine.

1x TE 7A ... (no longer supplied or supported by Hilti) this machine is the full pacakge ... 36 volt ... battery operated (ideal for shutdowns) ... it has a keyless replacement chuck ... so you only need to carry one machine ... and it has a vacuum attachement which is driven by the machine not a battery... can drill and chip walls ... has a better hammer action and feel than the newer machines ... abit heavy because ot the 36 volt battery ... but when we built facotries and need the capacity for big holesaws and sleeve anchors ... this machine ahs all the capacity needed to get the job done.

1x TE 4 ... (no longer supplied or supported by Hilti) ... this machine is like the newer machine ... 22 volt battery ... a bit of a toy ... hammer action not so great and sounds like other cheap machines when they on hammer ... no attachement ... no keyless chuck ... the only reason I use it ... because it is light.

There are a pile of other machines ... like the GX 120 which is handy for securing the pipe with straps ... quick and easy ... once the wall is chased and cleaned ... going along with the GX120 and stapping to secure the piping speeds up the install time ... it generally causes quite a stir on the first few bangs ...but reduce installation time drastically and can be used on most sites without permits and licenses.

A tip ... and I see this everyday I go to site ...people pushing on the drill with as much force as possible thinking they the machine drills faster ... if you use the right drill for the right application NO FORCE IS REQUIRED.

I do use some Hilti fasteners like the HUs 6 range of anchors a lot ... super holding strength ... but more important ... quick and esay to install.

Hilti drill bits are also worth the money.

Cant say I am a big fan of their small anchors ... screwdriver bits ... and blades.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    After posting the last thread ... it has made me realise ...its time to unload all my Hilti equipment not just the stuf fI have listed here but everyhting ... in my site trailer ... van and storeroom ... not just one or 2 items ... everything is no longer supported ... it has taken years to aquire all the equipment ... replacement cost for everthing would be over R200K

All my makita batteires have also reached their sell by date (most are already 12 years old) and getting tired ... I am also getting tired of this rat race.

Talk of a massive depression looming ... time to sit down and think carefully about my future.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The only corded drill I own ... is a metabo 1000 W varible speed with a keyless chuck (in fact every drill has a keyless chucks).

I bought it when I started designing building and installing water treatment and waste water plants around the country (many years ago) ... it was a bit of a mission getting a extension cord to the top of a water tank to drill the holes for the level probes ... eventually the first cordless Hilti machine came out ... you could remove the chuck and swop it out for normal chuck for the holesaw.

I also have the metabo angle grinder bought at the same time ... I dont use it as much because I have acordless makita grinder.

I have always bought metabo for steel type work ... Hilti for brick and concrete and makita for wood working.