Thread: bargaing council EDTF levy

Suspended
    Thanks

bargaing council EDTF levy

maybe someone can explain to me what this levy is for and how it benefits my company...i would also like to know why as the director of the company i need to pay this levy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surely the members of the employee party agreed to this!

OK. Enough stirring.
    Training of contractors and employees
    With the soccer world cup in 2010, it is of paramount importance that we, as the major role player within the electrical contracting industry, ensure that our members and their employees are properly trained to achieve the best possible results from their businesses and develop our country to compete in the world business arena.
    With this in mind, we have to think “outside the box” and come up with solutions to the desperate skills shortage the industry is facing. In this regard, we are busy with an exercise to re-introduce a training levy system for non skills paying members, whom we are going to assist by reviving the education and development training fund (EDTF) system.
    extract from ECA(SA) financial overview 2006/7
    I understand the motive to get the EDTF up and going again. The change of the SDL threshold from R250 000.00 to R500 000.00 has had dire consequences on the contributor base of many industries towards training funding. Not only that, the bigger companies were always better about collecting their mandatory grants anyway. This has meant less unclaimed mandatory grant budget being available to roll over into "real training funding."

Many SETAs are severely stretched to meet the demands being made of them. Quite bluntly, the SETA system as currently funded and structured is a poor servant of the training needs of industries with a high percentage of small businesses.

Whether this should be solved via the bargaining council? Well I don't like the way the bargaining council business is conducted anyway - so maybe I'm prejudiced.

How connected is the collection of a training levy with the setting of remuneration levels by collective agreement?

How good was the consultation before the agreement was reached?

It would be interesting to hear some opinions.

Suspended
    Thanks
    what concerns me is i dont seem to benefit from any levies...when i had an accident 10 years ago i am still suffering finacially...because i could not claim for anything...firstly the road accident fund because i was the only person in the accident...the fact that the contstruction company which left all the rubble on the raod would have to be sue..at the time just seemed to much trouble...my old mutual hospital plan did not pay out because the small print said it did not cover my arms and legs...the old mutual disability plan nor the sanlam one paid out because i could not work for 3 years and they said the policies had lapsed because the broker who sold me the policies put life cover on each policy to benefit himself with the commisions...within six months they were closed...and i had no claim...even though i was pre-admitted to hospital to complete the operations the medical aid did not cover the R32000.00 bill...and last but not least i could not claim from the bargaining council uif or any other levies even though i was driving home from work...because i was a sole proprietor and had no cover at all even though i was paying every month for my staff and company...thats why i am very reluctant to pay insurances...levies etc...all igot out of the whole thing was a cheque for R14 from sanlam...

just beware of long term insurances and investments...make sure they do not have life cover on all the policies it is a get rich quick for brokers...another thing i have noticed laterly is old people being paid out their policies they dont even get back the money they have invested over the long term...there is always a story about markets which crashed 20 years ago or some other excuse...all i am saying is be careful when investing your money...if your broker is your mate be even more careful he needs to make a living wage and your interests might not be his priority.