Thread: Swopping out lead acid batteries with lithium

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Swopping out lead acid batteries with lithium

The question is ... can you just take your 7 amp/hr battery and repalce it with a blue nova 8 amp/hr ?

That the challenge right now ... trying to find out if it is that simple.

I dont think so ... unless you can adjust the charge perimeters on your alarm/gate or garage door.

Is it worth replacing a R150 battery with a R1000 battery?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    According to Blue Nova data sheet, it is supposed to be a "Drop-in lead acid replacement".

What I do not understand is this
    Charge/Discharge
    Discharge Voltage (min.) 11.6 V

then under
    PROTECTION
    Under-voltage Cut-out 10.0 V
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    YOu have to open a ticket with Blue nova to get a response ... you cant just contact them and request information about there product.

I am busy in correspndence with them at the moment trying to get information about this so called drop in replacement battery.

From what I understand ...there has not been workshop tests carried ... no load shedding impact testing.

There is a data sheet for the drop in batteries.

From the little knowledge I have it is a little more complicated than just drop in a lithium battery in place of a lead acid.

Alalrms/gates and grage doors have chargers designed to lead acid specs ... lithium batteires dont have the same charge/discharge properties as lead acid.

When you start looking into inverters and solar power ... there have to be specific setting for lithium batteries.

Vitron for example have setting in their chargers for lithium and flooded lead acid batteries.

The question is simple are you getting return on your investment replacing lead acid with a drop in lithium battery ... I pay R 130 -210 for 7 amp/hr flooded lead acid/gel battery ... R1100 for an 8 amp/hr lithium replacement battery.

From what I understand ... its the BMS in the lithium batteries which protect and control them ... but it seems the charger settings is just as important.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Then you have low battery warnings in alarm panels ... would they be the same or do you have to switch off these settings ... 10.5 VDC cut out which should be ok because the lithium battery cuts out at 10 VDC.

I doubt the alarm companies are going to upgrade their systems to lithium anytime soon ... it means they will have to redesign PCB's ... at a cost ... I beleive whoever change first will take lead the market.

So another solution will have to be found ... soon ... and who ever finds the solution first will win the race ... we are taking about a huge growing market ... crime increases by the day.

It is good business for us when load shedding hits ... at R550 -850 to pop off 2 wires ... slip the new battery into place and drop the old one off at the taxi rank for sale at R50 ... it quick money in the back pocket ... but customer are getting tired of it.

For now everyone is happy ... winter is almost here ... the question ... are we gonna start replacing batteries soon.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Andromeda (11-May-21)