Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye Starlink

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Bye bye Starlink

Well i doubt that one of the most successful businesses in the world will bite for this. But it is scary to see how things really work.

ICASA recently published new regulations which require all telecoms licensees in the country – including ISPs – to have black owners.
    Elon Musk’s SpaceX must have black ownership to launch Starlink in South Africa – ICASA

So much for getting good internet...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Elon Musk is a TWAT - I have a very serious problem with global companies just doing whatever the F they want wherever they want.

Not that I am pro the whole black ownership thing - I just dislike the God-Of-Musk-Fandom!

Look at the latest idiot nonsense with his stupid car.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...uto-1846739330

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Elon Musk is a TWAT - I have a very serious problem with global companies just doing whatever the F they want wherever they want.

Not that I am pro the whole black ownership thing - I just dislike the God-Of-Musk-Fandom!

Look at the latest idiot nonsense with his stupid car.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...uto-1846739330
    In all seriousness, i just want good internet, mine sucks!!! That said personally i don't know the man nor do i follow the trends. For me it thought "finally good internet yey" now not so much...
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    In all seriousness, i just want good internet, mine sucks!!! That said personally i don't know the man nor do i follow the trends. For me it thought "finally good internet yey" now not so much...
    Fair enough - I have 100up 100down fiber so I am spoilt :-)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough - I have 100up 100down fiber so I am spoilt :-)
    Lucky you yea right now these "WIFI wanbe ISP providers" wants R1k for 20down, 5up i think and they want 4k for the installation and if i recall R300 for insurance against lighting that puts them at higher cost then well almost anything else and is why i am LTE contract 40mb down and 5mb up
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Lucky you yea right now these "WIFI wanbe ISP providers" wants R1k for 20down, 5up i think and they want 4k for the installation and if i recall R300 for insurance against lighting that puts them at higher cost then well almost anything else and is why i am LTE contract 40mb down and 5mb up
    In spite of all the negativity, I have stuck with Telkom who is giving me a very good service. (just don't try talking to a call centre)
    Connectivity is good and I have had maybe 98% uptime in the more than 20 years that I've been with Telkom. Yes, and Telkom to Telkom calls are free!

I have recently been able to convert my LTE contract (after only 3 months) from 20 + 20 GB to 40 + 40 GB at a 50% discount on their latest offering.
    With the private guys this would not have been possible as you are locked in for 24 months.
    I have had such problems with the international cell companies and in particular with MTN with whom I will never do business again.
    MTN makes it virtually impossible to cancel a contract after expiry and keeps charging on a month to month fee while you go from pillar to post to cancel the subscription. This was in spite of them being informed before the expiry date that I do not want to renew my contract.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have Mweb 100 up 100 down for R1.4k - The service is fair....not wonderful. I have all the cellphones on Telkom though - The service is ....OK or totally CRAP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    In spite of all the negativity, I have stuck with Telkom who is giving me a very good service. (just don't try talking to a call centre)
    Connectivity is good and I have had maybe 98% uptime in the more than 20 years that I've been with Telkom. Yes, and Telkom to Telkom calls are free!

I have recently been able to convert my LTE contract (after only 3 months) from 20 + 20 GB to 40 + 40 GB at a 50% discount on their latest offering.
    With the private guys this would not have been possible as you are locked in for 24 months.
    I have had such problems with the international cell companies and in particular with MTN with whom I will never do business again.
    MTN makes it virtually impossible to cancel a contract after expiry and keeps charging on a month to month fee while you go from pillar to post to cancel the subscription. This was in spite of them being informed before the expiry date that I do not want to renew my contract.
    If only Telkom wanted to upgrade their service in my area but no... they just had to wait for the competition well the competition is now here so lets see.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have Mweb 100 up 100 down for R1.4k - The service is fair....not wonderful. I have all the cellphones on Telkom though - The service is ....OK or totally CRAP
    i have been with Vodacom from the very start... Then i got a Cell C, Telkom, MTN thinking that one of them should work eventually XD
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post

Ther ehas been an improvement in the past couple months ... since the thieves have found there is better reward hitting courier services than telkom scooby wire ... less down time for us ADSL users.

I asume you dont read your telephone account ... thos days of "free" calls is no longer such a budget consideration ... due to ported calls ... I got a R300 bill the other day for calling telkom numbers ... apparently it is up to you the customer to call call each number to verify the number is free or ported to another service.

With regards to contracts ... Telkom are the leaders in running debit orders for years not just months after a contract has expired and I gave notice.

I decided to load a data package on my telkom prepaid sim (which I use for calls I know are going to take a while) ... what a joke ... now I remembr why I cancealed it ... if you move around a lot like I do ... ther eare so many "dead spots" where telkom still dont have coverage and the most annoying message will keep popping up ... your bundle has expired ...blah blah blah.

I dont have a contract with anyone anymore ... once burnt twice shy ... they all as bad as each other ... only prepaid ... MTN still has the best coverage.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.