Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hilti machine servicing

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If you are small business your discount structure is a mere 10% going up to about 45 % (maybe even more) depending on the amount of employees.

IF I need to buy Hlti product ...its better to phone a friend or use the big companies you sub contract to ... who has more 30 employees and buy through them ...in fact not only for the discount ... the rep turnover for the small businesses is not like the rep for the big companies ... I know the Hilti big company rep left and went on his own for a while ...but is not back with them.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The way I have understood the discount structure is that it is also dependent on the value of consumables you buy from Hilti not just the tools.
    We use all Hilti grinding disks , drill bits etc so yes the more people you have the larger the consumable buy .

Be careful buying tools on somebody else's name - The tool serial number is then registered to that company .The company has a break in and the lists all the tools with insurance and get's paid out. You take your tool in for repair and Hilti has to claim the tool and give it across to the insurance company who have paid out the contractor.
    The same applies when buying 2nd hand Hilti tools at pawn shops.

We had a TE60 returned 15 months after it was stolen when the contractor took it in for repairs. Contractor was furious , I was happy.

The insurance issue happened to a contractor A that bought tools from a contractor B with a cash flow problem. Unbeknown to contractor A , Contractor B reported the tools stolen and claimed from insurance .Contractor A no longer has the tools.

I came across brand new TE2 and consumables in a pawn shop - When checking the serial number it was from a large company that had a corrupt Buyer - I walked away and left it to Hilti to contact the owners - She was buying the equipment , receiving the equipment and then selling to the pawn shop. Ended up in a court case

If you buy 2nd hand Hilti tools, check with Hilti themselves as to who owns the serial number and have it transferred to your name if it is not a suspect transaction.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-May-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You have a good point ... with 84 Hilti items listed ... Hilti will be feeding you with a silver spoon ... its when you downscale and become a small fish ... you get the left overs.

At one point we were buying so many drill bits ... fasteners etc (many years ago ... working at the Hillside smeller in Richards bay) ... they were giving us machines for free ... I dont think they do that anymore

I sold a Fluke 289 ...a couple months later the buying tried to get into RBM ... they wouldnt let him in with the 289 because he couldnt prove it was his equipment.

It s good to see efforts like this to reduce theft.

I am just really disappointed that after all these years of supporting Hilti (more than 25 years maybe even 30 ...it has been so long) ... I get kicked while down ... one thing I have learnt a long time ago ... never burn your bridges ... and over a silly thing like a repair to a TE 7 ...surely there must be someone at HIlti who can service a TE 7 without F%^&* it up.

I think I am just going to send it back again and again and again ... until they get it right.

I interested to know what happened to Rose ... she was so full of promise.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

5. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (24-May-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think one problem is the way we view 20-years-to-end-of-life as consumers may differ from the way the supplier views it.
    As consumers, we start the clock when we buy the product.
    The supplier starts the clock when they launch the product.

I have some empathy with the position you find yourself in, though. I had a TE60 I bought in the 1980s that Hilti eventually refused to service about 2005 to 2010.
    I ended up having to replace it with a TE30.
    I fought the change really hard because the old drill had been such a trojan - and thrashed every other similar drill we tested it against.
    Until I got that TE30.
    Lighter, less tiring to use, and yet somehow it drilled through concrete faster than the old TE60.

Technology moves on...
    And in Hilti's case, the new stuff tends to be an improvement too.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was going to upgrade the TE 55 ... got a rep to bring a new machine and we ran the 2 machines side by side ... drilling 28 mm holes through a slabl ... the TE55 was a couple of seconds slower ... new technology and all ... I couldnt justify the R20K for the new machine ... the Te55 is still running

Changing the machine so that the attachments dont fit the new machines ... I am going with corporate greed ... number bashing for share holders

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    By the way I use these machines on a daily basis ... not my employees.

watching a sparkie doing a review on a hilti chasing machine on youtube ... which Hilti had sent him a week earlier to review ... I would love to watch him spend a day with me pushing that machine up the wall ... I would would switch off my ad blockers and pay to see that video .

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    He has a good story ... his story makes me think of someone I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXhx...tisanElectrics

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The TE 30 is baby compared to the TE60.

Combihammer TE 30-AVR
    Weight 4.2 kg
    drilling diameter range4 - 28 mm
    Optimum hammer drilling range10 - 20 mm
    Single impact energy3.6 J
    Hammer drilling RPM1100 rpm

Combihammer TE 60-AVR
    Weight 6.8 kg
    Single impact energy7.8 J
    Hammer drilling diameter range12 - 40 mm
    Optimum hammer drilling range18 - 40 mm
    Hammer drilling RPM340 rpmFull hammering
    frequency3300 impacts/minute

The bottom line here is simple ... I spent a lot of money on a quality product which I expected Hilti to have suitably skilled personel to service their products ... the fact that they cant service my machine without it arriving back at my workshop in a shocking state leaking oil ...not once ...not twice ... but 3 times so far ... it shocking ... lets not even go into the 3 day promise to have your machine back on site ... we going on 2 months the machine is in the store room.

As a customer sepnding the highest price of any tool in the category ... we should be advised of the sell by date. It should be clearly advertised when the machine will out of the 20 year support period ... the vacuum was 11 years old when I was told to piss off ... suck it and replace the machine.

The way things are going ... it looks like I wil be unloaded a lot HIlti equipement soon ... This time I will get everything in writting ... I am still going to be around for a while.

Looking at what coming ... if this depression people are warning about hits earlier than expected ... there is going to be a lot of businesses going bankrupt.

Level 2 load shedding started again this afternoon ... good news for us (installing inverters and battery backups ... alarm/gate garage door battery sales gonna go through the roof )

The 3rd wave of covid announced in JHB.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The TE 30 is baby compared to the TE60.
    But the modern day TE 30 beats the old model TE 60

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210517_121124.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	8209

And that 4.2kg vs 7.85kg difference really adds up over a working day.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I would bet money that that old TE60 still works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast