Thread: Neighbors' Electric Fence Bleeding into my fence

Thanks

Question Neighbors' Electric Fence Bleeding into my fence

Hi

My Energizer went faulty all of a sudden with a permanent Fence error. So I removed it from the fence and tested it offline. I confirmed it being faulty LOL. Anyway took it to Security Warehouse for repairs who indicated its uneconomical to repair as there is capacitor damage and PC board.

WHEN I REMOVED the energizer from the 3 wires going to my fence I felt the wires giving me a shock which was strange as my energizer was disconnected at the time. Upon further investigation today I found that my fence remains energized and its the same wall where the next door complex has an electric fence. The moment I touch my wall or wires and I touch earth I get a small shock. I tested with a NemTek Fence scope which measures Voltage and Current on the wires. I can also hear their fence sparking and think I found that they have a broken wire due to corrosion barely making a connection.

What do I do as they have no body corporate and seems no one is in control at the complex.

I do not want to install my newly purchased R4k energizer and loose that one again. I prefer talking to neighbors but that is basically impossible as no one cares.

Thanks
    My main question here is. How does it happen that my neighbor's electric fence "bleeds" through on mine without any physical short. I checked and I cannot find any broken insulators on my side - not sure of theirs but theirs are newer than mine. Does this come through ground because of a fault condition on their side on the fence - As I said I found a corroded joint on their side sparking and not making good contact.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may be an induced voltage due to electromagnetic effects. Do your strands run parallel to their strands for a long distance?

Thanks
    Yes they run in parallel. I find it strange that this is happening all of a sudden after more than 15 years. When there is a fault condition does there Energizer not increase voltage (or is it current) and that his could perhaps cause the issue as there is not sufficient grounding so the induction goes to my ground system. I tested considerable KV on my lines. Also my wall at certain points is electrified and the moment you touch it there is a shock.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is likely because of a fault in the insulation of their system, that is causing a discharge and it is the cycle of charge and discharge that is causing the electromagnetic effect. You mentioned the sound of sparking...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It is likely because of a fault in the insulation of their system, that is causing a discharge and it is the cycle of charge and discharge that is causing the electromagnetic effect. You mentioned the sound of sparking...
    Ok they had a technician come out and he found various faults on the neighboring complexes fence in various places. At one place the wire was touching another wire/railing that is fitted to the wall and not insulated. So directly inducing thousands of volts into my fence and wall!

After all fixes I still measure about 600V being induced. Apparently the max allowed is 300V. So the saga continues.