Thread: wind turbine?

Thanks

wind turbine?

Have an look at the link and feel free to leave an comment. Will this supplement an pv system during cloudy day?

https://www.tesup.co.za/product-page...e-south-africa

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It would be a useful supplement especially at the coast where there is a constant breeze .

The problem we have had is the noise factor and the irritant caused to your neighbors .

At night the slightest whine can drive a person through the roof.

I would not recommend any wind driven units in a residential area

Thanks
    I have a tessup Atlas 2.0 and living in Jeffreys bay we got lots of wind. I have installed it on my roof and there is absolutely no noise from it. the wind is noisier than the turbine. BUT I dicovered that I need 500V to get my inverter MPPT to open to except the current from the turbine.

I need someone to help me get a DC to DC converter to increase the voltage from 48 to 500v.
    I am not good with electronics so are a bit lost.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gvrX6Zc94

So if anyone has a fix for this please let me know.

Thanks
    Wind Turbines in my experience, connect directly to the battery bank and not through a MPPT.
    The charge controller is there to limit the maximum output voltage by sending excess power through a divert resistor.
    Careful setting of charge voltages from solar array and wind turbine are required.

Excess voltage from the turbine by gusting wind has taken out controllers we have installed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stratlec View Post
    Wind Turbines in my experience, connect directly to the battery bank and not through a MPPT.
    The charge controller is there to limit the maximum output voltage by sending excess power through a divert resistor.
    Careful setting of charge voltages from solar array and wind turbine are required.

Excess voltage from the turbine by gusting wind has taken out controllers we have installed.
    You never connect any varying generator directly to any battery, as there is no current or voltage limit.

There should always be a Wind Turbine controller in series with any power generation equipment.
    If the high/excess voltage damages your electronic equipment, it is either a poor design or the incorrect controller.

For small wind turbines, you require a special MPPT controller, in which it can Buck and Boost the power from the wind turbine unit.
    The point of this type of controller is to impedance match the source to the load, and simultaneously ensure that the power does not exceed the battery specifications, and that the turbine is correctly loaded under low load and high wind conditions.

See here - Wind Charge Controllers
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Perhaps some clarification of my contribution is required.

It needed to be said that normal overcurrent protection and safety needed to be included.
    Also that a controller is required, wired as per the manufacturers requirement.

In the case of Kestrel Turbines, which we installed, the 3phase AC was converted to DC in the turbine head.
    This went through a PWM controller to charge the batteries, however the effective path was directly from the turbine DC to the batteries.
    The "direct" path to the batteries make the turbine a current source device. This current is used to either charge the batteries and/or power the load.
    The primary role of the PWM controller is to send excess current to the divert resistor if the batteries are fully charged and the normal load is less than what the turbine is generating.
    It is important to keep the turbine under load when in high wind conditions as this restricts speed and possible damage to the turbine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kestrel.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	8433
    In the case of the post from Riaan a Tesup turbine and controller are installed.
    The turbine has a 3 wire AC output which the controller converts to DC, but after that the process is the same as the Kestrel with a PWM controller using the dump/divert resistor that is integrated.
    The charge controller needs to be connected to a battery.

I have never seen or read of a buck/boost MPPT controller for small wind turbines and could not see such on the sustainable website. Some more information on this would be useful.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I take it wind turbines do not use vari-pitch impellers...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stratlec View Post
    I have never seen or read of a buck/boost MPPT controller for small wind turbines and could not see such on the sustainable website. Some more information on this would be useful.
    Not sure if the wind generator manufacturers make something like this, in my mind this would be a natural process, but then again I do tend to think out the box, and have currently designed PV boosters and solar driven borehole motor controllers, and will be launching 23 odd products in the new year from where you can connect any number and any type of PV panels into our drives and the electronics takes care of this for you.

Here is a paper discussing the Buck/Boost

Here is one supplier Tumo-Int 1000W MPPT Wind Turbine Windmill Boosting Charger Controller (24/48V)
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za