Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electric cars in SA

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You seem to forget about China ... nuclear powers and whatever new technology is still coming .. technology is moving so fast we will still get to see thing that we never imagined could be possible.

This is what I love about being alive ... to think there was no TV when I was born ... I have gone from hand written quotes and invoice ... standing in ques at a bank to deposit cheques ... to operating my entire bussiness in the palm of my hand from anywhere in the world at speeds which we can imagine possible ... hopefully before I die I will get to see a holographic system out on my front lawn

I am interested to see what will happen next year once the batteries contract with Tesla and panasonic expires ... are super capacitors going to be the new battery or is there even better technology in the pipeline ... only time will tell.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    You seem to forget about China ... nuclear powers and whatever new technology is still coming
    How so....

1. China is a VAST country with huge mountain ranges, massive poverty and an extensive rural population.
    2. South Africa generates Nuclear power.

Neither of those facts make electric cars any more viable given the facts I mentioned before. Electrical grids would have to be massively expanded - to what end....(the expansion only serves to move pollution to another location)

Yes of course one can dream about future technologies (I love Star Trek) but....that does not mean that one should OVER-drive inappropriate technologies today in the hope that the technologies MIGHT improve drastically in the future.

Thanks
    Batteries aren't the problem. They are the solution.
    They can be built as big as you like.

From what I remember from junior school ..... 2 dissimular metals in an electrolyte is a battery.

I remember while working on the Saldanha Sishen project, there was a problem when shunting the lead concentrate wagons. The shunters would shock.
    After months and months of investigations it was found that they would only shock when the train had encountered rain during it's trip from Sishen to Saldanha.

The solution was to cover the lead concentrate wagons with a cover, keeping the rain water ( electrolyte ) out, which I believe, is still the practice today. That solved the problem.

A ship, whilst in harbour, poses a big threat to anyone standing on the quay and touching the ship. The water between the ship and quayside is an electrolyte.

Batteries can be built as big as you want them to be. There is enough sunlight to charge them using solar panels.

Elon Musk is not as big an idiot as some would make him out to be.

The way I see the future of electric cars panning out is that most cars will have a modular battery of the same proportions housed in a convenient spot in the vehicle where it can be removed and replaced quickly.

When you pull up at the "filling station" you will not have to wait for your battery to be charged. It is simply replaced with a fully charged one, much the same as your gas bottle that is exchanged for a full one. The filling station does not charge the batteries. It is a depot housing fully charged batteries. Charged batteries are delivered to the "filling station" much like the petrol that is delivered in bowsers.

Impossible ?

I don't think so.

Peace out ... Derek
    Last edited by Derlyn; 05-Apr-21 at 08:43 AM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Elon Musk is not as big an idiot as some would make him out to be.
    Yes he is. Clearly him and his crazed Fanboys never heard of a subway train.

Move Over, Keno! Elon Musk's Dumb Tesla Tunnel Now The Lamest Thing In Las Vegas

https://jalopnik.com/move-over-keno-...e-l-1846654974

Suspended
    Thanks
    Electric cars have driven the huge change in the automobile industry. Most of the Kenyan people adopted electric cars for sale because it is safe and environment friendly also. It is more convenient to drive an electric car and very easy to charge. And also it is very easy to maintain.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atienojones View Post
    Electric cars have driven the huge change in the automobile industry. Most of the Kenyan people adopted electric cars for sale because it is safe and environment friendly also. It is more convenient to drive an electric car and very easy to charge. And also it is very easy to maintain.
    Oh rubbish....

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/12/12...the-solutions/

https://kenyanwallstreet.com/electri...kenya-by-2025/

The electric vehicle industry in Kenya is still young with only 300 electric vehicles in the country as at 2019 according to Dr. Rebekah Shirley, Chief Research Officer at Power For All who recently spoke in an interview with CNBC Africa. Nonetheless, demand for electric cars is projected to grow as the vehicles become more affordable and charging stations become widely available.
    https://africasustainabilitymatters....-go-for-kenya/

About 98 percent of vehicles in Kenya currently run on fossil fuels – petrol and diesel. A mass shift to electric units would bode well for the country’s forex reserves with a possible drop in fuel bill.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am pretty sure that atienojones (who is not a resident of Nairobi and clearly ignorant of the reality of electric car adoption in Kenya) was hoping to come back and edit in a link on the phrase "electric cars for sale".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123