Thread: UPS software

Diamond Member
    Thanks

UPS software

I want to check oldish and new UPS units ... verify batteries and load test them ... connect them on site ... link a laptop to the UPS connect the load and show the customer a live view of the UPS info

I found and downloaded winpower software ... it works with the proline units but not the Tescom PC buddy.

I have a ple of mecer UPS units to test ... they were new in the box ... however have been standing for a while.

The plan is to connect the MT250 to the output ... connect a load of around 20 % of the capacity of the UPs then leave it to run until it switches off in my workshop ... to vewrify it works correctly.

I am getting a lot of complaints about UPS units not lasting for the 2 hour load shedding ... however people have 100 % of the UPS capacity connected to the unit and cant understand why it just switches off as the load shedding kicks in.

Its time to assist and educate customers ... starting with what a UPS was designed to do ... allow you time to shut down your PC ...preventing you from loosing all your current work.

Load shedding either requires a really big UPS or an inverter with large batteries.

I also want to run test on routers to see what size UPS would power a router for 2 hours.

Personally I have just connected my 12 VDC router to my 18 amp battery backup system for my alarm peripherals ... it has been working for months ... no issues.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One of the major problems with the smaller UPS's which use lead acid batteries, is that the cheapest form of battery charger was applied to the design, which places a constant trickle charge on the battery 24/7. Unfortunately, this is detrimental to the battery, and after 8 to 10 months of this abuse, the battery fails, runs extremely hot, expands, cracks the casing or some other failure, unbeknown to the user until the next power fail.

One part of maintenance the user should do is at least once a week, when there is no work being done on the PC, to momentarily switch the power off to the UPS, if all is well, then the UPS should maintain the PC alive, if not then the battery must be changed.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That sounds about right 18/03/2020 ... I replaced a battery in a cheap UPS ... I replaced it yesterday.

What have I learnt in the past 24 hrs of research ... something I didnt know ... you can set switch off times on the software and it will do it automatically.

The problem with UPS suppliers and installers ... there has been limited knowledge about the software ... most people throw the cable and disk with the software in the bin ... I have installed thousands of UPS units from small 600 va right up to server room UPs units ... but never taken the time to explore the software ... however since I have been reseaching solar and inverters have it to be one of the most critical parts of the installation.

In the past I have always promoted online pure sine wave units ... more for a stable power supply than backup to prevent subtle damage to the hardware of computers ... and it has worked well.

Then load shedding arrived ... people are confused about the purpose of a UPS ... it was designed for a specific application ... to keep the power supply "clean" and offer a means to shutdown the PC in case of a power outage.

Something I witness on a daily basis ... UPS loaded more than they can handle ... then i get the person telling me I am a chop because I didnt spec the UPS ... because they have decided to fit an extender plug to the output of the UPS ... and added printers ... fridges and lights.

A UPS IS NOT DESIGNED FOR LOAD SHEDDING ... NOR IS IT DESIGNED TO KEEP FRIDGES ... LIGHTS AND OTHER APPLIANCES POWERED FOR 2 HOURS ... unless you spend tens of thousands of rands on a large 3-5 KVA unit ... and even then the battery capacity is not designed for appliances.

Now that we have cleared that up ... back to the topic ... software.

The software can be connected to a LAN or WAN to monitor more than one PC.

This is something I will definately be spending more time researching ... I have 11 UPS units in for battery replacement ... looking forward to experimenting this weekend.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (19-Mar-21)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A tip ... the next time someone installs a UPS in your office ... dont throw away the cable and disc ... make sure the supplier/installer loads the software and connects the cable ... it will not only help extend the life of the battery ... but also keep you informed of the status of the battery ... how much load is connected to the UPS and has a battery test facility ... which can be setup or done randomly at anytime you feel the need ... it will save the disappointment of loosing all your data.

Another important feature when link to the UPS using the serial cable ... you can switch off that anoying beeping sound when the power is off and get notifications if ther eis a problem with the UPS ... its a no brainer ... I dont know why I didnt insist the UPs supplier didnt share this info with me in the past ( they probably didnt know either)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    But even more important than than backup times and voltages ... if the UPS is setup correctly by the installer ... it can automatically shutown your PC without loose the data (the way I understand it) ... still a bit green behind the ears but will confirm once I have tinkered a bit more.

Something else I need to confirm ... it seems the UPS can be connected to a WAN/LAN and doesnt have to be right next to control it ... it can all be done over the network and even send messages ... emails etc.

I wish I knew all this 20 years ago.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I built a load testing device with black heat elements and a fan back when load shedding started and I was installing lots of generators ... it has 8 switches (to increase or decrease the load) and 8 elements drawing around 4 amps per element (1 kw) ... a bit to high for some of the smaller UPS units on test ... so I have a heat gun with 3 settings and a fan ... just to round off the current draw.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    .4 The functions and advantages
    1. Once the software starts, it will never stop running to protect the key equipment in
    24 hours every day.
    2. You can have a detailed view about the parameters and status of UPS, such as
    utility power, UPS type, the load, and battery information.
    3. Software can automatically search and monitor the UPSs in LAN when start the
    software at the first time.
    4. Software can monitor the UPSs in the internet.
    5. With security protect function. The software administrator password can be set to
    prevent others from sabotaging. Only the software administrator has the right of
    full access, other users only have the right of view.
    6. With the function of data auto protection, it can close most of the running
    applications and save the related files.
    7. With the function of turning on and off the UPS on scheduled time, software also
    can shut down computer safely before turning off the output of UPS.
    8. With the function of battery self-test on scheduled time, it can check the health of
    UPS system
    9. With the function of shutting down computer in LAN or WAN, it can shut down
    computer safely before turning off the output of UPS.
    10. Software can log data and event. It is very convenient for user to learn detail
    information about UPS.
    11. There are two kinds of notification method to let user learn the status of UPS as
    soon as possible.
    11.1 SMS
    11.2 E-mail
    12. The SNMP centralized monitoring function of software can monitor the status of
    UPS with SNMP card located in different regions.