Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 156

Thread: Denied petrol

  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East london
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Denied petrol

    Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner rather than later .....

    So there I was at a Caltex in Beacon Bay alone in my car wanting to top up with R400 petrol.

    I was denied service unless I donned a face nappy.
    I politely told the attendant what he could do with the petrol hose, drove half a kilometer further and topped up at Total, no problem.

    Caltex have now joined my list of businesses to be avoided in future for treating their clients like infants.
    Pick n Pay heads that list for trying to force me to push a trolley whilst buying a loaf of bread.
    Coca Cola has also recently been added to the list.

    Would it have been easier just to put on the nappy and get served ? ..... Yes.
    Would it have been the right thing to do ? .... In my opinion, no.

    The sooner we ALL call out the bull@#$# for what it is, the better for us all.

    Peace out ... Derek

  2. #2
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    22,176
    Thanks
    3,208
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 2,203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    The other side of this is it's legislated.

  3. Thank given for this post:

    adrianh (16-Mar-21), Andromeda (17-Mar-21)

  4. #3
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    2,937
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 256 Times in 228 Posts
    Do as the herd is trained from birth ... leave school ... get a job ... pay insurance ... keep your opinion to yourself (there is no such thing as freedom of speech) ... get screwed by a multi trillion dollar industry (medical) ... pay monthly fees for everything from your electricity to your software package ... wear a face cloth for the most deadly virus on earth (yet I wear a double filter full face mask to spray a bit of paint) ... just payup and shut up.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

  5. Thanks given for this post:

    Andromeda (17-Mar-21)

  6. #4
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East london
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The other side of this is it's legislated.
    Only if you refuse to wear a facemask when ordered to do so by an officer of the law is it a criminal offence.

    The gazette has been very cleverly worded so as to make the sheeple think it's a crime not to wear one.

    Peace out ... Derek

  7. #5
    Diamond Member adrianh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,750
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 912 Times in 735 Posts
    Why is it so difficult to do the right thing.

    The cops have to force people to wear seat belts to protect themselves - go figure!

    I have a lot to say about people who don't give a flying F... about anybody else because they feel that they can do whatever the F they want - We live in societies and the purpose of these sorts of rules is to protect the society as a whole - it is no different to the ahole that pushes in the front of the Q at the offramp - people who do whatever they want should not be allowed to live in society nor benefit form living in society.

    This seems to be the South African motto "I do what I want where I want and when I want and society is just a hindrance to my special existence"
    “Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

  8. Thank given for this post:

    GCE (16-Mar-21), tec0 (16-Mar-21)

  9. #6
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    446
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 106 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner rather than later .....

    So there I was at a Caltex in Beacon Bay alone in my car wanting to top up with R400 petrol.

    I was denied service unless I donned a face nappy.
    I politely told the attendant what he could do with the petrol hose, drove half a kilometer further and topped up at Total, no problem.

    Caltex have now joined my list of businesses to be avoided in future for treating their clients like infants.
    Pick n Pay heads that list for trying to force me to push a trolley whilst buying a loaf of bread.
    Coca Cola has also recently been added to the list.

    Would it have been easier just to put on the nappy and get served ? ..... Yes.
    Would it have been the right thing to do ? .... In my opinion, no.

    The sooner we ALL call out the bull@#$# for what it is, the better for us all.

    Peace out ... Derek
    I get highly irate when people think that laws are not for them but only relevant if it suits , and then want to complain about Taxi drivers , illegal contractors etc.

    It is mandatory to wear a mask and for business owners to ensure that there employees are working in a safe environment as defined by the disaster management act and the OHSA .
    If the petrol attendant gets Covid and it is traced back to some inconsiderate person that does not want to adhere to the regulations then the Caltex franchise owner becomes liable for the time off through the IOD process.

    Likewise with the shop owner that does not ensure a safe distance when people are queuing.

    Besides the fact that the business owner could end up paying a fine due to some inconsiderate person that does not want to comply.

    Summary of the reg's pasted below and what I see as relevant in red

    Offences and penalties

    83. (1) For the duration of the national state of disaster, any person who hinders, interferes with. or obstructs an enforcement officer in the exercise of his or her powers, or the performance of his or her duties in terms of these Regulations, is guilty of an offence and, on conviction, liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.
    (2) For the purposes of this Chapter, any person who fails to comply with or contravenes a provision of regulations 68(1) and (3), 70(2), (3) and (7); 80(3)(a), 81(1)(b) and 81(3) of these Regulations commits an offence and is, on conviction, liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.


    Mandatory protocols when in a public place
    70. (1) For the purposes of these Regulations. a ‘face mask’ means a cloth face mask or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.

    (2) The wearing of a face mask is mandatory for every person when in a public place. excluding a child under the age of six years. and any person who fails to comply with a verbal instruction by an enforcement officer to wear a face mask, commits an offence and is, on conviction, liable to a fine or a period of imprisonment not exceeding six months, or to both such fine and imprisonment.

    (3) No person will be allowed to-
    (a) use, operate, perform any service on any form of public transport;
    (b) enter or be in a building, place or premises. including government buildings, places or premises, used by the public to obtain goods or services; or
    (c) be in any public open space, if he or she is not wearing a face mask.

    (4) The prohibition in subregulation (3)(c) shall not apply to a person who undertakes vigorous exercise in a public place, provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person.

    (5) An employer may not allow any employee to perform any duties or enter the employment premises if the employee is not wearing a face mask while performing his or her duties.

    (6) Every business premises, including, but not limited to, a supermarket, shop, grocery store, retail store, wholesale produce market or pharmacy shall –
    (a) determine their area of floor space in square metres;
    (b) based on the information contemplated in paragraph (a), determine the number of customers and employees that may be inside the premises in order to comply with the limitation as provided for in regulation 72(5)(c) of the Regulations and subject to strict adherence to all health protocols and social distancing measures;
    (c) take steps to ensure that persons queuing inside or outside the premises are able to maintain a distance of one and a half metres from each other;
    (d) provide hand sanitisers for use by the public and employees at the entrance to the premises; and
    (e) assign, in writing, an employee or any other suitable person, as the compliance employee, who must ensure-
    (i) compliance with the measures provided for in paragraphs (a) to (d); and
    (ii) that all directions in respect of hygienic conditions and limitation of exposure to persons with COVID-19 are adhered to.

    (7) Any business whose premises exceeds the maximum number of customers and employees determined in subregulation (6) commits an offence and is, on conviction. liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or to both such fine and imprisonment.

    (8) All employers must. adopt measures to promote physical distancing of employees, including-
    (a) enabling employees to work from home or minimising the need for employees to be physically present at the workplace;
    (b) the provision for adequate space;
    (c) restrictions on face to face meetings;
    (d) special measures for employees with known or disclosed health issues or comorbidities, or with any condition which may place such employees at a higher risk of complications or death if they are infected with COVID-19, and
    (e) special measures for employees above the age of 60 who are at a higher risk of complications or death if they are infected with COVID-19.

    (9) The requirements as set out in subregulation (6) applies with the necessary changes, to any other building that is not provided for by subregulation (6).

    (10) All courier and delivery services shall provide for minimal personal contact during delivery.

    (11) All banks as defined in the Banks Act, 1990 (Act No. 94 of 1990) and financial institutions as defined in the Financial Sector Regulation
    Act, 2017 (Act No. 9 of 2017), must-
    a) ensure that all automated teller machines of that bank or financial institution, if any in the case of a financial institution, that is not a bank, have hand sanitisers for use by the public at each automated teller machine; and
    (b) take steps to ensure that persons queuing at the automated teller machine maintain a distance of one and a half metres from each other.
    Last edited by GCE; 17-Mar-21 at 04:56 AM.

  10. Thank given for this post:

    adrianh (16-Mar-21), tec0 (16-Mar-21)

  11. #7
    Diamond Member adrianh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,750
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 912 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Do as the herd is trained from birth ... leave school ... get a job ... pay insurance ... keep your opinion to yourself (there is no such thing as freedom of speech) ... get screwed by a multi trillion dollar industry (medical) ... pay monthly fees for everything from your electricity to your software package ... wear a face cloth for the most deadly virus on earth (yet I wear a double filter full face mask to spray a bit of paint) ... just payup and shut up.
    My wife has been stuck in the UK for over a year due to Covid (People die around them like flies because they care for the aged). One of our family member is an ICU nurse in the UK DEALING WITH COVID DEATH ON A DAILY BASIS - Young and old alike DIE from the disease. I lost a friend - My brother lost 2 friends - My neighbor lost a relative.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein
    “Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

  12. Thank given for this post:

    IanF (17-Mar-21), tec0 (16-Mar-21)

  13. #8
    Diamond Member Blurock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    3,870
    Thanks
    720
    Thanked 835 Times in 690 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I have also been guilty of not wanting to adhere to rules in the past. I still don't know how I made it through school with all their instructions and rules.
    However in retrospect I have discovered that I should first look at the purpose of the rule, before refusing to follow like sheep. We do not live in isolation, but amongst other people, so be considerate. Rules are there to protect you too.

    E.g. To stop at a stop street is a rule that should be obeyed, not only for your own safety, but also for the safety of other road users. (Please stop BEHIND the white line. I see most luxury cars don't have good brakes and they are always over the line)

    Take for instance the NRCS ( National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) Their mandate includes promoting public health and safety, environmental protection and ensuring fair trade. This includes the development and administration of technical regulations and compulsory specifications as well as through market surveillance to ensure compliance with the requirements of the compulsory specifications and technical regulations.

    These regulations govern scales and measuring instruments to ensure that you pay for the correct weight or get the right amount of air into your tyres etc etc. There are standards and regulations for just about every product sold in this country. When it comes to medical equipment the rules are even more stringent.

    I have now learnt that I have to be more considerate towards my fellow beings and not just live on my own planet like before. This ensures peace and happiness.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

  14. Thank given for this post:

    adrianh (16-Mar-21), GCE (17-Mar-21), tec0 (16-Mar-21)

  15. #9
    Diamond Member adrianh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,750
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 912 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I have also been guilty of not wanting to adhere to rules in the past. I still don't know how I made it through school with all their instructions and rules.
    However in retrospect I have discovered that I should first look at the purpose of the rule, before refusing to follow like sheep. We do not live in isolation, but amongst other people, so be considerate. Rules are there to protect you too.

    E.g. To stop at a stop street is a rule that should be obeyed, not only for your own safety, but also for the safety of other road users. (Please stop BEHIND the white line. I see most luxury cars don't have good brakes and they are always over the line)

    Take for instance the NRCS ( National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) Their mandate includes promoting public health and safety, environmental protection and ensuring fair trade. This includes the development and administration of technical regulations and compulsory specifications as well as through market surveillance to ensure compliance with the requirements of the compulsory specifications and technical regulations.

    These regulations govern scales and measuring instruments to ensure that you pay for the correct weight or get the right amount of air into your tyres etc etc. There are standards and regulations for just about every product sold in this country. When it comes to medical equipment the rules are even more stringent.

    I have now learnt that I have to be more considerate towards my fellow beings and not just live on my own planet like before. This ensures peace and happiness.
    For sure - I also don't adhere to rules as well as I should either. (I have a bag of speeding fines to prove it) The thing is that one should endevour to adhere to sensible (inconvenient) temporary restrictions if it is for the good of society. An analogy is a detour because of roadworks - there will always be a couple of people with rocks in their heads who try to go straight through everything because they feel that nobody has the right to inconvenience them. They end up causing a massive accident and then have the audacity to blame everybody but themselves.

    Look, I am no angel but hell, wearing a face mask when you are out and about is not that hard or inconvenient. Even with a mask on we are still able to drive like idiots and show each other zap signs ...its just a minor temporary inconvenience...
    “Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

  16. Thank given for this post:

    Blurock (17-Mar-21), tec0 (16-Mar-21)

  17. #10
    Diamond Member tec0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    4,441
    Thanks
    1,820
    Thanked 449 Times in 396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    The sad part here is, people that are trying to protect their families and those they love/care are called sheeple.

    Dude all i can say is stop and think about it.

    You are trying to outsmart a law that is asking you to protect not only yourself but others as well. Well whatever rocks your boat, just remember there are consequences, not just for you but everyone you love and come in contact with. If you get it and survive it is not to say someone you know and got it from you will. What does that make you? Think about it.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Petrol attendant dispenses petrol into a diesel vehicle.
    By Patk in forum Labour Relations and Legislation Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-Oct-13, 07:05 AM
  2. DENIED EMPLOYMENT BECAUSE OF BLACKLISTING
    By consumerwatchvideo in forum National Credit Act Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Oct-10, 06:49 PM
  3. Education Denied!
    By tec0 in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Aug-09, 11:03 AM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •