Thread: Becoming an electrician????

Thanks

Becoming an electrician????

Good day,

I'm hoping I could get some help here. Google is full of contradicting articles so I'm a bit confused.

I am currently a teacher but I also want to become an electrician (childhood dream) which could also function as a part time job.

I registered for my N1 this week and would like to know a few things. I need to finish up to N3 right? As a minimum?
    I registered at Intec college as they provide this as a distance course, seeing as though I live in Steynsburg with no college within a 300km radius.
    After I finish my N3, do I still then need to do an apprenticeship?
    Will I be allowed to write the trade test?
    Will I be allowed to write the SANS 10142-1 national exam?

I am really struggling to understand this whole process...

What I basically want to know: What do I need to do (In order) to become a qualified electrician.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I am no expert in the process but have put guys through the system.
    You will need N3 maths to write Trade test - You can also do a module system through a training centre but that would mean time away from your present job.
    You will need 3 years practical experience on a registered learner contract or 5 years and you can write trade test
    The SANS 10142-1 exam you can study and write at any stage but with a bit of practical will be easier to understand and pass

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Although I only have academic qualifications, I have always wondered why there would be such a stigma to doing technical courses. In retrospect I would swop anytime.
    A qualified artisan in my view is someone who facilitates positive outcomes by repairing things or building new ones. (my theory on builders and breakers in a community) I see an apprenticeship as a paid university where you earn as you learn, whereas attending an academic university is costly and has to be funded, not earning anything.
    Choose a good mentor to learn from and do an apprenticeship. Bite the bullet for 3 - 5 years. The benefits of your qualification will allow you the freedom to live your passion and eventually start your own business.
    Once you have your certificate, don'ty stop learning. Being the best at your trade will ensure that you get the preferred jobs!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Although I only have academic qualifications, I have always wondered why there would be such a stigma to doing technical courses. In retrospect I would swop anytime.
    A qualified artisan in my view is someone who facilitates positive outcomes by repairing things or building new ones. (my theory on builders and breakers in a community) I see an apprenticeship as a paid university where you earn as you learn, whereas attending an academic university is costly and has to be funded, not earning anything.
    Choose a good mentor to learn from and do an apprenticeship. Bite the bullet for 3 - 5 years. The benefits of your qualification will allow you the freedom to live your passion and eventually start your own business.
    Once you have your certificate, don'ty stop learning. Being the best at your trade will ensure that you get the preferred jobs!
    Would I be allowed to work part time/go out with our local municipality electrician and have him sign a log sheet for hours? I really cannot resign my current post as a teacher and our closest electrician company is 300km away...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    As far as I am aware one needs to do N1-N3 trade theory for the specific field of study as well as the the other subjects required to pass N3.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    One can't just do this informally - you have to be sure that whomever you work for has whatever proper accreditation and that a proper process is followed - otherwise you are going to be cheap labour and you won't have anything to show for your efforts.

Go speak to your local technical college - they will explain the process to you.