Thread: Industry boom

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Industry boom

It seems like everyone is back to work and business is booming ... in fact to a point that not only cant keep up ... I am turning away work literally by the day ... and I thought I would ease into 2021 ... take it easy while I tie up some loose ends and look into a new venture ... new challenges ... new goals etc.

Traffic is back to crazy normal.

Parking lots are full.

School is back to normal.

It seems the only difference between now and before lockdown ... is people wearing silly masks ( I dont agree with ... wash my hands even more and keep my distance) you still have these people who have the need to stand up close and personal.

Back to getting up at 3.30 am and working 12 hours shifts 7 days a week.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    And suddenly everything cost double excepting an electrical contractor's services

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Sparks ... this has always been a problem ... I recall going to ECA meetings for the free dop and snacks back in the 90's ... and always the same tune was playing " We should charge higher rates" here I sit 20 years later ... the industry has not only dropped through its own a$$ ...but labour rates are worse than they were back then ... I have a row of green and now the new money making racket (black SANS books) which mean nothing because of the lack of suitably skilled people to police the industry.

We have the DOL ... AIA ... ECB ... ECA ... full of promises ...but in reality just letters ... people skimming the legit contractor for a quick buck.

People complain about electrical contractors ... bad workmanship etc etc ... yet they they are happy to use an electrician holding a board they find outside builders ... then cant understand why they cant sell the house until all the crap is repaired or as in a recent case ... insurance claims are declined due to illegal wiring ... if there is one organisation that has its shyte together ... its the insurance industry ... I have seen how the wording in the insurance policy has left one customer out of pocket for over R200 k (for a surge ... not lightning) and another R100k kitchen burnt to the ground ... fortunatly not the entire house.

Having a "friend" handle your insurance policy is someone I have learnt is not a smart move ... and why people dont request 2 nd even 3 rd opinions when taking out insurance is a no brainer.

How many people actually read the policy ... or request the broker to run through the document ... its like signing the marrige agreement ... all hearts and roses ... but boy when it comes to divorce you realise how every page ... every comment ... ever line and every word is critical ... and boy some people loose huge ... its the same with insurance ... take the time to understand your policy cover to cover ... thet get paid enough money to even join millionare clubs ... every month get an update and make sure you understand everything ... its your right.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have also noticed how prices of everything have increased ... in some cases as much as 40 % ... the attitude is oh well it is thanks to covid ... supply and demand.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you are busy because your price is too low?

One way to control the business demand, is by increasing the price, rather than turning the business away.
    If you send the customer away because you are too busy, then the customer gets offended and will not return and usually when you call when not busy they enjoy telling you to get lost, however, if your price is higher than they wish to pay, they move on, and have no future grudge. On the other hand, if you do get the job, well you know what you making far more bucks then normal, you can even contract someone to do the job under your supervision and still make a profit.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I have also noticed how prices of everything have increased ... in some cases as much as 40 % ... the attitude is oh well it is thanks to covid ... supply and demand.
    A friend of mine has a company that does travel Visas. They used to do 500-600 per month - since Covid started they do 50-60 a month. The travel industry is said to only (maybe) get back to normal mid 2022. Covid has really hit some industries very hard.

Businesses are hard up for cash - I purchased a R12k printer from a reputable dealer last week for R5k and I get an additional rebate of R1k from the manufacturer.

Given the drop in income in many households I think people simply forego spending. General manufacturing in the country is down by 49% and car manufacturing is down by 98% - Companies try to recoup these loses by increasing prices which leads to increased lending which in turn leads to bad debt (which leads to increased bank fees etc) ....it goes round and round...